BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-19-2014, 04:47 PM   #45
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I've seen comments previously that the leather has a vinyl top coat. I don't know if this is true but it does feel like it, far more so than with my previous BMWs.
      11-19-2014, 09:08 PM   #46
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem2 View Post
I've seen comments previously that the leather has a vinyl top coat. I don't know if this is true but it does feel like it, far more so than with my previous BMWs.
Is that a good or a bad thing? Is it to help seat wear better?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2014, 02:45 AM   #47
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
Is that a good or a bad thing? Is it to help seat wear better?
Good if you're rough on the leather as it should be more resilient, not good it you want it to breathe or feel supple.
      04-27-2015, 12:27 PM   #48
adam_l_phillips@hotmail.c
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0 Xline

Seat very uncomfortable Xline 2015

I have just purchased a new 2015 BMW X3 Xline model and both the front seats have a problem, the middle of the seat vertically pushes into the small of the back making it impossible to drive any length of time without it causing a serious back problem

Has anyone else had this problem and if so what can I do?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 12:47 PM   #49
fjrmann
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 X35i

have you checked the position of the lumbar and how much air is inflated?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 01:33 PM   #50
Jordster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 28i

I have the very cheapest seats (Leatherette) which I got on purpose knowing well that my toddler would (and already has) make a huge mess of the interior... And I have a baby on the way so it's only going to get worse.

The seats were the #1 reason I almost bought the Q5. Even the Acura RDX, the awful drive that it was, had more comfortable seats!

However, I found a position I could live with. I tilt the seat so that it is slanted as much as possible with the front higher than the back (so it goes up near my kneeds, and downward sloping towards my butt) and I leaned the backrest back a bit. In this position I find it quite comfortable.

In the end, though, I was more concerned with the way the car drove and the infotainment, and those are the reasons I easily chose the X3 over the Audi, seats be damned.
      04-28-2015, 11:44 AM   #51
exon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i Jet Black!

I have the basic seats (Leatherette). I like them better than the standard leather seats (too slippery, had it on my previous BMW). But I have not tried the sport seats. The Napa leather seats on the new X5 seem very soft and nice.

I've driven long trips and the seat did not give me any problem. But I do wish they can be softer. Perforated or ventilated seats will be a big plus too (even if you have leather, BMW leather don't breath that well). For me personally, Honda's cloth seats is the most comfortable & breathable.

What bothers me most on long trips is the wide transmission tunnel protruding (they are much wider at the pedals than between the front seats), the footwell space for my right foot is very narrow and confined.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 12:29 PM   #52
punch1118
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

Hi we just acquired 2011 X3 35i loaded with everything but the dynamic dampening and sport+ controls. It was a CPO vehicle with 26k miles but after driving it for 3 hours I wasn't so excited any more, my left leg was aching and painful due to being gouged by the seat bolster. I hated the foot rest it was too far away so my thigh had to rest on the seat most of the time. I have since modded the seat by inserting a 3/8" rubber foam pad 11-13"x15" under the seat foam next to the springs (this raised the seat bottom up a tad) and I also cut a small wedge out of the side of the outside bolster (1/2"x8") so the bolster it is now sitting almost flat and what a difference. I also cut a wedge from wood that now resides on the foot stomp so it feels like I am now sitting square and straight as my feet rest on gas and foot rest.

After another 3 hour drive I am a happy camper.
First time BMW owner here and what an awesome driving machine.
Yada yada I know there are better vehicles but I am very pleased with the X3.

I thought the X5 drove more like a SUV and the wife wanted to sit up (no sedans) so we settled on the X3. We looked at Ford Chevy Honda Toyota Audi and Subaru. Our budget was 30k so I think we did pretty good.

Last edited by punch1118; 08-24-2015 at 12:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 03:05 AM   #53
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Punch1118, you may be my hero!!

The only thing that really annoys me on the X3 is the sport seats side bolsters, just too narrow. In fact, not too narrow, it is the fact there is a plastic/metal arch in the bolster that doesn't let it flatten at all when you sit in it.
After 2 odd hours it starts to dig into my arse/hip and within 30 mins of that I have to stop and get out as it is so uncomfortable.

I was told I couldn't remove any thing as this arch was in there, so no point.
But you are saying you have removed some foam on that outside bolster and made it more comfortable?

Don't suppose you took any pics?

Also, did you see the arch inside the foam? what was it made of?

And the annoying thing was, I especially hunted out an SE with sport seats, when you want xenons and pano roof that is a rare thing.
I have never had this issues with any other BMW and all have had sport seats. Strange.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 03:38 AM   #54
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

We too found the sports seats uncomfortable - especially my wife who at 5 foot found them quite hard to get out off, had to climb over a ridge as she said!!
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2015, 11:37 AM   #55
punch1118
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

Sorry I didn't take the time to post pics. There is a metal rod (part of the leather upholstery) that runs in a trough between the center seat pad and the bolster pad but the bolster pads do not have any metal molded inside rather are made with very firm foam (like the rest of the seat pad). I have xenon's and pano but do not have a thigh extension or adjustable back bolsters (which I thought were part of the sport seats). After I inserted the 3/8" neoprene pad between the foam and springs (by removing the side controls and unfastening the leather cover first) it raised the seat pad 3/8" and effectively flattened the bolster by the same amount. I now put a 1/2" x 3/8" strip of neoprene in the trough to help fill it. I then took an exact-o knife with a 1" blade and cut a horizontal line 8" on the side of the bolster. I cut another line 1/2" above the first line that angled down to the first line, removed the 8" long x 1/2" high x 1" deep foam wedge and glued the bolster pad back together, then reassembled the seat. The neoprene pad is 13" in front, 11" in the back, and 15" deep (trapezoid shape) and fits nicely under the center of the seat pad (between the metal rods I mentioned earlier). I also glued (3M spray) a piece of fabric to the neoprene on the under side that contacts the springs for a little extra strength. The seat still has a slight bolster but the mod has made the seat quite comfortable. I did the mod on both seats and it makes it easier to enter and exit the vehicle not to mention the relief on the veins in the back of the thigh while driving. The inside bolsters next to the center console are too close to the console so it is not necessary to fuss with them (plus you would have to remove the entire seat). I think I read a post here showing how to remove the controls without breaking anything. The leather easily unhooks from the metal seat using the plastic fastener that is sown to the leather.

Last edited by punch1118; 08-25-2015 at 10:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 03:39 AM   #56
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Nice one mate. My next project for sure.

Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0