BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-12-2011, 04:40 AM   #1
troggy1969
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335D MSport 2016

Garage List
VDC

I know this has been discussed before but now that lots you have got their cars and have been driving around for a while, what do think is VDC? Is it worth the money?

I still have time to add it to mine if it's money well spent!

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 07:01 AM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggy1969 View Post
I know this has been discussed before but now that lots you have got their cars and have been driving around for a while, what do think is VDC? Is it worth the money?

I still have time to add it to mine if it's money well spent!

Cheers
I'm on the fence re. VDC. It's very expensive for what it gives you IMO and I think I would spend most of the time in Sport mode (which you annoyingly have to select every time you get in the car) because I don't really like the floaty feel in Normal mode BUT there are occasional times, like cruising on motorways or on really bad roads when it would be nice to smooth out the bumps. I think it's very subjective but my X3 is about as firm as you can get with fixed sports suspension and 19" rims and I never find it uncomfortable (and no complaints from the wife).

I think I'd need a whole weekend test drive with VDC to convince me of its worth. Also remember you can add dynamic drive control (if Normal/Sport/Sport+ is the main attraction) much more cheaply by adding VSS

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 07:10 AM   #3
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

I love it and use it every time I am in the car - I have it set with sports chassis, but in normal drivetrain setting to maximize gas mileage. I then shift to sport+ when I am in the mood to play. I love the difference in steering feel as much as the changes in suspension and drivetrain.
      11-12-2011, 08:34 AM   #4
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Tyre pressure are another variable in the equation. Having these wrong will likely give unusual results. I don't have VDC but I do have sport suspension. Running at 32psi (as recommended by BMW) works ok but 35F 37R is so much better, the ride doesn't seem firmer, the car seems a whole lot tighter and more controlled. Not really what I expected. I wonder whether tyre pressures should ideally be optimized for the different VDC settings.