BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-08-2011, 06:48 PM   #67
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
I'd certainly try the easiest thing first i.e.; the tire pressure. The "Owner's Manual pressure" (not always the same as the latest recommendation on the door jamb) for the 225/55R17 (102H) tires is 32F-32R and
for the 225/60R17 (99H) tires is 32F-35R
for "partial loads" and up to 35/41 for full loads.

It's easy to try higher pressures and to experiment with the pressure differential. Just be sure to always check/change pressure when the tires are completely cold and at approximately the same ambient temperature.

I'd probably start at 34 psi F and 37 R. (cold) If you notice any improvement you might try as much as 39 in the rears.

The next easiest thing to try would be to first check the wheel alignment to be sure it's in spec. If the front toe -in reading is toward the low end of the range you might have the value increased. I'd also check the rear toe in. I don't know if the rear of the X3 has a continuous adjustment for toe-in as the front does, or if it uses shims like some cars (never took a close look), but it should be checked. The rears are typically set for very low toe-in, if any. If the rear toe-in is negative (actually showing some toe-out, it can cause excessive wind sensitivity and constant "hunting" when you're trying to drive straight.

On my 35i, the on-center feel and straight line tracking is not "great" and it took a little while for me to adjust to it mainly because my other cars have a lot of self centering action and no power steering. Going from a two ton-plus X3 35i P/S, P/B, full auto transmission to a 1/2 ton Lotus with a manual 5-speed, a racing clutch, manual steering that's twice as fast as the X3 and manual 4-pot racing brakes that take 5X the pressure to stop takes a major mental adjustment and lot's of concentration, but going back the other way is actually harder for me. My wife always has a stifled laugh when I jam my left foot to the floor and grab for the shift lever if I have to make a quick stop.
Thanks for the great advice.
I'll start playing around with pressures and have the alignment checked and see how that goes.

Still wondering if going to 18's and non-rft might give me a bit more feel / performance, but as you say that gets costly... especially for an experiment that may not pan out.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 07:06 PM   #68
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
There has got to be the basis for a Sociology PhD dissertation buried in this thread. How a simple question about [how] “the stock suspension handles on the curves” (Original Poster quoted) can turn into a pissing contest, references to one’s mother, Vestal Virgins, and auto-flushing toilets in only (44) posts is simply amazing. This thread says WAY more about people than it does about the X3’s suspension behavior.

It’s a real “hoot” to witness how defensive people can be about their totally subjective opinions.

IsnÂ’t the Internet wonderful?

Soapbox Mode OFF.
Took both Identity and Ethics courses in high school and I'm sure I could have used this a part of a field study for a final project. -___-
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 08:41 PM   #69
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harplayr View Post
Thanks for the great advice.
I'll start playing around with pressures and have the alignment checked and see how that goes.

Still wondering if going to 18's and non-rft might give me a bit more feel / performance, but as you say that gets costly... especially for an experiment that may not pan out.
You might try stopping by a suburban dealer and asking to test drive a 35i with 18 inch wheels or one with the 19's if you're lucky enough to find one.

The only trouble there is that a lot of dealers seem to pay no attention to checking the tire pressures, so there's no telling how the car is set up unless you bring your own tire pressure gauge. The "manufacturer recommended pressures" for my X3 are 32F/35R. When I picked up the brand new car (after the dealer had "prepped" it) I checked the pressures the next morning and they were set to 38 all around according to my Longacre gauge, which is certified to 1/2% accuracy and has 0.1 psi resolution. In my experience, the X3 responds well to a 3 to 4 psi positive rear pressure bias. Some people may not notice or care about the subtle difference that a pressure bias achieves. It's not something that "hit's you over the head".

Again, and it's strictly a matter of personal taste: I think mine handles decently [for me] at 35F/38R but personal preferences certainly vary and some people like slightly crisper handling, and some people prefer a more comfortable ride, especially with the run-flat tires.

Also, further opening up this "can of worms". Some tires are more sensitive to pressure changes and some "don't seem to care". On my wife's Subi Legacy GT, she never commented about handling while it had the factory OEM Yokohama tires. Once we had the Goodyear F1 GSD3's installed she would complain, "The car doesn't handle right" if the tire pressure dropped by 3 psi. I think the much better road feel of the GSD3 tires helped her learn what the car "should" feel like and made her become more sensitive to small changes in it's handling. The OEM Yoko's didn't allow that kind of resolution. It's like hearing the difference between a well recorded audio track and a crummy one. It's blatantly obvious if you listen through good speakers, but not so apparent if you listen through a $49 boombox.

Last edited by Lotus7; 09-08-2011 at 09:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 09:57 PM   #70
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
I can attest to checking the tire pressure. When I took delivery of my 35i with 19" 309's the door sticker says that the front tires should be at 32 and rears at 37. My front left was at 28, my front right was at 30 and both rears were at 31.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 05:38 PM   #71
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
I can attest to checking the tire pressure. When I took delivery of my 35i with 19" 309's the door sticker says that the front tires should be at 32 and rears at 37. My front left was at 28, my front right was at 30 and both rears were at 31.
Not to sidetrack this thread into "Things my dealer didn't do that should have been done", BUT I have to relate the following:

I purchased a custom ordered Audi A4 2.8 Quattro in 1999. I knew exactly what I wanted, and didn't want on the car and had to wait over 90 days for delivery of the custom order.

Anyway, the A4 arrived and I drove it home. I had ordered the "stiffer" of (2) optional “Sport suspensions”, but had only been able to test-drive the other (softer) version, because no dealer in the Midwest had a car so equipped. The car was so hard riding, I couldn't believe it. Driving over a 1/2-inch expansion joint would rattle your teeth. I thought I'd made a terrible mistake, but still couldn't believe that Audi would sell a car that was sprung and damped so hard that it was almost undriveable. There was NO compliance at all in the suspension! The Audi was sprung like a “ground effects era” Formula 1 car.

I decided that I had to take a close look at the suspension to see what the dampers and apparently super stiff springs looked like. I jacked up the front of the car, let the suspension hang and took off a front wheel.

When I took a look at the first damper (shock absorber) the problem was obvious:

Apparently Audi was using thick solid plastic cylindrical “inserts” in their cars while they were shipped. They are designed to keep the tied-down cars from bouncing on their suspension as the ship moves.

Each damper shaft had (2) of these rigid cylinders, each about 2 inches thick installed on its upper shaft. They were made of bright red heavy plastic, and had a yellow plastic tape attached, which had the word “REMOVE,” printed in 1-inch high letters. All four dampers had the plastic cylinders in place. The plastic cylinders completely blocked any vertical suspension movement.

I removed them and phoned the dealership’s service manager. His response was “Oh sorry, I guess we must have missed removing them – happens all the time”.

That’s why I always check the tire pressures right away.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 05:53 PM   #72
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Not to sidetrack this thread into "Things my dealer didn't do that should have been done", BUT I have to relate the following:

I purchased a custom ordered Audi A4 2.8 Quattro in 1999. I knew exactly what I wanted, and didn't want on the car and had to wait over 90 days for delivery of the custom order.

Anyway, the A4 arrived and I drove it home. I had ordered the "stiffer" of (2) optional “Sport suspensions”, but had only been able to test-drive the other (softer) version, because no dealer in the Midwest had a car so equipped. The car was so hard riding, I couldn't believe it. Driving over a 1/2-inch expansion joint would rattle your teeth. I thought I'd made a terrible mistake, but still couldn't believe that Audi would sell a car that was sprung and damped so hard that it was almost undriveable. There was NO compliance at all in the suspension! The Audi was sprung like a “ground effects era” Formula 1 car.

I decided that I had to take a close look at the suspension to see what the dampers and apparently super stiff springs looked like. I jacked up the front of the car, let the suspension hang and took off a front wheel.

When I took a look at the first damper (shock absorber) the problem was obvious:

Apparently Audi was using thick solid plastic cylindrical “inserts” in their cars while they were shipped. They are designed to keep the tied-down cars from bouncing on their suspension as the ship moves.

Each damper shaft had (2) of these rigid cylinders, each about 2 inches thick installed on its upper shaft. They were made of bright red heavy plastic, and had a yellow plastic tape attached, which had the word “REMOVE,” printed in 1-inch high letters. All four dampers had the plastic cylinders in place. The plastic cylinders completely blocked any vertical suspension movement.

I removed them and phoned the dealership’s service manager. His response was “Oh sorry, I guess we must have missed removing them – happens all the time”.

That’s why I always check the tire pressures right away.
Wow, that's crazy! Dealerships def. can not be trusted to do anything right. I hate the thoughts of dropping off my vehicle to let them do anything on it. God only knows what they will mess up in the process.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 08:08 PM   #73
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

My 2nd 911 was like your Audi. The dealer had left the suspension retainers in. My car had sport suspension but this was like OTT. On top of which they had over-inflated the tires by 5lbs a corner. Until I discovered this I was about to take the car back and hand the keys over. It's amazing how dealers of high end cars can miss such a small but significant detail.
Appreciate 0