BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-07-2014, 09:36 PM   #1
Jasboarder05
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 28i

Battery and TPMS issues.

After leaving work this morning I noticed the TPMS lit up for all 4 tires. Temp in Madison WI this morning was -15 F and car was in a parking ramp and exposed to the cold. I figured the TPMS was sensing a change in pressure d/t the cold. When I got home and turned the car off it alerted me for a low battery warning (Charge Battery warning). I checked the tires and all were inflated at the suggested pressures. I reset the TPMS which seemed to resolve the issue. But battery warning is still popping up. My question is why did the TPMS warning go off stating low pressure when the tire pressure was at the suggested PSI and then to have the battery warning happen at the same time. Electrical issue? This car was driven on a 240 mile round trip 3 days ago. Why low battery charge? Anyone else having these issues? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 01:48 AM   #2
Amber
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 Sport 19" rims

Your battery just needs a re-charge. Purchase one of the compact battery chargers and give it a charge once a week in this cold weather….end of problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 07:40 AM   #3
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

This is pretty common. Have to remember the battery is in the trunk so it does not have the benefit of heat soak from a warm motor. With it being out back it gets cold quick. When BMWs sense low voltage situation they disable various accessories, it's possible TPMS is impacted by this.

When you charge be sure you use the charging posts under the hood. Flip up the little red cover on the left side and use the grounding post very close to the + red post.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 08:40 AM   #4
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasboarder05 View Post
My question is why did the TPMS warning go off stating low pressure when the tire pressure was at the suggested PSI and then to have the battery warning happen at the same time.
My guess is that the issues are not related. The tire pressure were probably low when you left work and by the time you drove home, the tire have warm up and the pressure is normal. I would check the tires again when they are cold.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 09:39 AM   #5
Gouda
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
I was at the BMW dealer in Bloomington, MN a week ago and people were lined up 3 deep with the same TPS issue. The SA's told everyone it was related to the temp (-20) that day. They took the time to check them all out, which I though was very good of them. By the time they warmed up inside most cleared the issue by them self. The battery is a common issuer, lots of discussion, but the advice above is what needs to be done. I use a Battery Tender and just keep it plugged when it is at zero or below. It isn't difficult and it helps a lot.

08 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited for the OHV park.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 09:44 AM   #6
Jasboarder05
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 28i

I put a battery charger on the battery connectors under the hood last night. before applying the charger the battery was at 12.45V. This morning after running a 2amp charger the battery was full charged and is currently at 12.96V. Tire pressure this morning while the tires were cold were still at the 32 PSI front and 35 PSI rear so I don't believe tire pressure actually played a role in the TPMS low trigger. I learned something last night though…………….. If you have a cradle for your iPhone 5 the car will charge it even though the car is off! This is not a nice feature if you forget your iPhone in the car for an hour or so. This happened to me earlier in the week and i bet that was the culprit. Thanks everyone and as always you guys are a great help.
Appreciate 0