BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-10-2022, 05:54 AM   #1
IndustryStandard
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Basic Idrive CIC options

First post on here as a recent F25 owner

I've just bought an approved used 2012 X3 here in the UK but it has the most basic ICE system. No phone bluetooth. No USB interface in the glovebox, only an aux in. No Nav. Np combox in the boot.

As the dealer gave me a 24month BMW approved used warranty as part of the deal, im reluctant to start pulling apart the CIC unit. All I really need is a USB interface so I can power/hear my phone through the current setup.

Does the basic CIC unit have any OEM upgrades a dealer could carry out to improve things? For example, add the USB input into the glovebox? One other option is to get BMW to add a power outlet to the glovebox so I can use a 3rd party bluetooth dongle in there.

Also, can you swap the screens over without any coding? For example, I have the small screen. Can I buy a widescreen and simply plug and play, or will it require coding etc? Suppose that may void the warranty too

Any advice/options much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 08:30 AM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

It would certainly void any warranty regarding the head unit, but not for your engine or transmission, etc. I don't think you want to pay BMW to add a power port. An audio shop would be better. Do you not have a USB port in the front wall of your center console under the armrest?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 01:53 PM   #3
IndustryStandard
Rep

Nope. Just the aux in. The previous owner spent $1000 on a sunroof but not even Bluetooth for your phone or a USB input
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 02:29 PM   #4
dtox9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25-X

Maybe an adapter for your USB to AUX would work?

https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Femal.../dp/B0794R6YCJ
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 03:34 PM   #5
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Many people go with an Android unit which is also a wide display. There are several available.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 07:40 PM   #6
littleob
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e36ic, 2013 x3

I just installed this android 10, 12.3" system that offers everything you are looking for. You can install the system yourself. I got it on avinusa.com but as noted before there are a few unit's out there.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
dtox9336.00
      05-17-2022, 04:29 AM   #7
IndustryStandard
Rep

Im taking it into BMW tomorrow to see what the OEM options are, maybe from a coding or input perspective. Interested to know what the base unit has input wise around the back ( USB audio? GPS antenna input? DAB radio? ) that could be easy upgrades vs going aftermarket.

In reality we would be using our phone for GPS and music so ideally would just want a USB input that charges/take in audio and can be fitted in the front cup holder area. Does the LCI F25 model have a different cup holder assembly with a USB located there? Retrofitting that might be an option..........
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 09:40 AM   #8
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndustryStandard View Post
Im taking it into BMW tomorrow to see what the OEM options are, maybe from a coding or input perspective. Interested to know what the base unit has input wise around the back ( USB audio? GPS antenna input? DAB radio? ) that could be easy upgrades vs going aftermarket.

In reality we would be using our phone for GPS and music so ideally would just want a USB input that charges/take in audio and can be fitted in the front cup holder area. Does the LCI F25 model have a different cup holder assembly with a USB located there? Retrofitting that might be an option..........
It will probably cheaper to trade it in for a different vehicle than have BMW retrofit everything you want, if they'll even do it
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2022, 05:05 AM   #9
IndustryStandard
Rep

littleob How did you get on with the Avin install? Why did you decide on the Andriod 10 version vs the cheaper Android 9 / more expensive Android 11 version?

I was looking at these and the A9 version they do for around $300, which is very good value. Getting stored maps would be good as my wife drives the car and would be useful.

Going back to the BMW option, the dealer here in the UK is going to take it away and see what options I have. There were a few on their database but they were all NLA ( No longer available) The service guy was very helpful and said he would do some digging and see what cost effective options are out there. Otherwise he said go for an aftermarket .
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2022, 07:24 PM   #10
littleob
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW e36ic, 2013 x3

Sorry my bad it's Android 11. The install was plug and play. No cutting wires. It took me 2 afternoons as I am disabled. If not I know it's a 2 hour job. I suggest you get on YouTube and watch a few videos on removing your infotainment screen and get comfortable with what has to be done. You will see it's easy.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 12:02 PM   #11
IndustryStandard
Rep

Thanks for the feedback. Think I will eventually go down this route. Just need to do some homework as to the best unit to get. Avin and INav seem the two best bets
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 02:09 AM   #12
IndustryStandard
Rep

So I ended up getting the 12.3 unit from Avin and will install at the weekend. The fitting guide from Avin is pretty useless. The video supplied is mostly some gut pointing the camera at the passenger airbag! I have a few Qs

-Is it necessary to disconnect the car battery before starting the work? I was planning on unlocking the car, winding the windows down then walking away for 10 mins so the power supply cuts off - is this OK? Some install videos ive seen the power on the dash is still on!

-Where is the best place to route the USB inputs? I have 2. Some put these in the glovebox. Is there a gap for the cable to get it there or will I need to drill a hole? Also, could I route them so they stick out at the bottom of the dash near the cup holders? I see on the videos there is a little piece of trim that comes off there.

-Any advice where to stick the wifi/gps antennas? Presume as fat back underneath the dash as possible bear the windscreen.

-Any other tips/tricks?

Many Thx
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 10:13 AM   #13
IndustryStandard
Rep

So just as a word of warning.......

I had an airbag module warning light go off after about 12 months post install. Luckily the car was still under MAW, so took it into BMW to get them to take a look.

Transpires to get the coding updated the original 6.5 head unit had to get re installed into the car......which was an utter PITA ! Suffice to saw the old unit is still in the car as im now reluctant to re install the Avin unit in case something else goes wrong.

Just an FYI
Appreciate 0