BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-29-2014, 08:16 PM   #67
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
Most of the people that bash the GT's have never sat in or driven one. Until you do, in comparison to what may be seen as an equivalent X-series vehicle, you don't know what they are talking about!
So tired of this argument.

I've driven two 535 GT's and a 550 GT. I've also driven an E61 Touring, an E70 X5, an F15 X5, an F32 Touring and I owned an F10.

Do I qualify now to say that I think it's a niche too far?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 08:24 PM   #68
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoops View Post
If you look back at what I wrote, I actually concur with a lot of what you're saying.
For sure the 3GT is a niche product, and I'm not trying to convince anyone otherwise. I presume you don't think filling a niche is a crime, but that it should fit the brand values and make the company money?

On the latter point, I'm pretty sure BMW calculated it would make money. Maybe in the end it won't. But tastes and trends in every market evolve. Sometimes you have to take a punt. If they had ignored the SUV trend, they would have missed out on a ton of business and had less money to reinvest across the range.

The brand argument is an interesting one. Yes perhaps if that niche were a damaging departure from BMWs brand values, but is that really the case for the GC and GT models? In the end, to me they are still driver-focused premium products. The active tourer might be a more viable segment, but is a front wheel drive small MPV closer to or further from BMWs core values than the GT or GC?

That leaves us with, is it ugly? I'll step out at this point
Nicely written.

You make a good point about the SUV. (SAV sorry, lol!). However, I would make a point in that BMW entered late into the premium jacked up wagon market. That market was already well proven. Moreover, at the time that the first X5 debuted, there were no sporty SUV's in the marketplace. BMW truly brought something new to the table, and moreover, one that filled a niche that their previous products did not cover while still maintaining the attributes that most BMW buyers were after: sporty handling and performance, and good looks.

Fast forward to the 5GT, and there is little to offer beyond their current offerings at the time. It was not as sporty as the F11 Touring, nor was it as practical as either that or the X5. I guess a luxury oriented, practicality challenged vehicle was considered innovative? I dunno.

The fact that it looks pretty ungainly does it no favors.

My point is that I feel that not only does it divert resources, but it blurs the message of what a BMW actually is. So no, I don't like chasing niches. I feel it's detrimental to the core values of a company. My feelings on this extend to other industries as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 02:29 PM   #69
mcoops
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Short term lease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Nicely written.

My point is that I feel that not only does it divert resources, but it blurs the message of what a BMW actually is. So no, I don't like chasing niches. I feel it's detrimental to the core values of a company. My feelings on this extend to other industries as well.
Why thank you. We may in danger of differing, yet still having a civilised exchange of views. On a car forum. Weird.

So I'm going to push my luck! Over on the UK F30post forum, there are quite a few people who think the 3-series has gotten too big, too unengaging, and are considering trading down to a 2 series. A smaller number feel that if you are going to have car that big, why not pay a bit extra for a 5-series, which has superior refinement, interior space and quality? I was all set for an F31, but was disappointed with the cramped cabin for a family of four. So too big, yet not quite big enough.

So here's my provocative thought - the 3GT is actually the LEAST compromised 3 series variant if you are regularly transporting a family of four over any distance (we have family in Scotland and Germany...). You just need to like big butts

*Lights touchpaper, stands back...*

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 04:56 PM   #70
eldo33
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i B. Red/Terra

Garage List
2006 325i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eMvy View Post
I don't really understand getting a X4 over a X3. The X4 has the same power, it's less functional, and the more expensive of the two SAVs.

Same go for 3/4 series right? 4 doors function better isn't than 2 isn't it?

it's diff options for people. some like it, others don't vice versa.

if your ONLY car is either X3 or X4 then X3 functions better... BUT if it's your 2nd car then heck, my case, X4 all the way.

2013 E350 - Wife
2013 GLK 4Matic - The Family
2006 BMW E90 325i - Self
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 09:35 PM   #71
Eichler1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramos
And the prize for the ugliest new BMW goes to: (drumroll) .....

It's a three way tie !!!!
Exactly. Let's twist ourselves (and our car models not to mention their nomenclature) into pretzels trying to make an un-wagon. The X4 looks like a Hyundai Kia something or other and the others look like '90s Mazda 626 hatchbacks (yes, they existed).

I want to like the GT because it really is a hatchback, but BMW makes one work way too hard to tell it apart for the 4-door "coupe" (dude if you really want it to be a coupe get rid of the B-pillar!)

Then there's the F31. Case closed.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 10:44 PM   #72
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_do33 View Post
if your ONLY car is either X3 or X4 then X3 functions better... BUT if it's your 2nd car then heck, my case, X4 all the way.
+1 Have a Subaru for the practicality
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 07:23 AM   #73
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theatermax
The X4 stands out hands down and looks gorgeous against the GT's..

NO comparison

People have no clue..
When I sat in the X4 well it was sleek, tough and it felt well build and engineered, the driving position was right on - not to high just right, and man it felt sporty as it should. The size for our needs was spot on!!! I think the Macan's exterior is bad ass, but I will take the less is more sleeker BMW interior design any day.

The older M3's and the new M4 is my favorite car. But I also grew up with a VW Wagon and an amazing Volvo 240DL Wagon stick shift aka: "The Tank" and man you can put so much stuff in them and well they drove like a car. So I was always in search for a AWD hybrid, not to big or mommy mini SUV and no longer a wagon especially that BMW NA is not really marketing and bringing them in the U.S. any more. For me the X4 is the ticket once they make it a a full M version, that will be kick ass when they do. And for all of you guys their is a whole lot of room with the seats folded down, I think it is going to sell well. I can't wait to take a test drive as well as the M4. If the sales of the Macan is a good as they say well an X4M must be around the corner, I hope.

The GT's are a cool concept but the styling could be seriously improved, can anybody say Saab they had the hatch-back right, a useful feature for trunk access, no?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 11:22 PM   #74
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCG View Post
When I sat in the X4 well it was sleek, tough and it felt well build and engineered, the driving position was right on - not to high just right, and man it felt sporty as it should. The size for our needs was spot on!!! I think the Macan's exterior is bad ass, but I will take the less is more sleeker BMW interior design any day.
+1
Appreciate 0