BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-27-2021, 12:36 AM   #1
wannabeX3owner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 30e

X3 30e climatize and battery pre-conditioning?

I know that in cars with larger batteries like the i3, pre-conditioning the battery can help with the range, especially in cold weather. But is that an option for smaller batteries like the ones in the 30e? On the app there is an option to climatize the cabin for comfort while the car is plugged in, but it doesn’t mention pre-conditioning the battery. My guess is that the battery has such a short range that it wouldn’t make too much of a difference either way. Does anyone know the answer?

As for cabin climatization, does it climatize to the temperature you last set in the car? I read somewhere that it’s set to 72ºF, but I didn’t find it in the manual. (BTW, I find that the manual, even though very thick, often doesn’t answer my questions…anyone else?) Just curious since I assume it’ll cool if over 72º and warm if under. I think the manual says to set it at least 10 minutes before…wonder how long it actually takes.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 03:23 AM   #2
ECinEI
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 30e

I also agree the manual poorly handles many questions I had about exactly how many of the eDrive and battery related functions work. Our 30e is garaged so we rarely use the climatize function. I did use it the other day when the car was outside on a cooler morning. The car was plugged in and I started the process via the app about 10 minutes before I left. The car was warm when I got in but I did lose about 4 miles of range in spite of the car being plugged in. Now we only use a level 1 charger so I don't know know if that makes a difference or not. (another unanswered question) I assumed the car goes to the last temp set but don't really know for sure.
Appreciate 1
      04-27-2021, 03:39 AM   #3
mathys
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G82 - G01 - F56

From what I have read so far, indeed the last set temperature will be used for preconditioning the cabin.
As for the usage of the battery for doing this, you seem to need a proper power charger so it can maintain the battery charge while preconditioning.

BMW should be more clear about these facts, as now it all is trail and error.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 09:38 AM   #4
graz74
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30e

I doubt it is conditioning the battery, otherwise I'd have got max range throughout February when it was cooler. As it was, approx half hour pre-conditioning (1.8kW) saved about 2-3 miles on range due to less load on the HVAC. For the time of day I was using it, it actually equates to about 2-3 miles of electric range 'cost', so no real saving, just convenience. I barely use it now.

There may be more efficiency gains vs conditioning costs in extreme temperatures - bring on summer!

BTW - heated seats are meant to be a more efficient heating method than cabin heating as it is 'direct'.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 10:20 AM   #5
wannabeX3owner
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECinEI View Post
I also agree the manual poorly handles many questions I had about exactly how many of the eDrive and battery related functions work. Our 30e is garaged so we rarely use the climatize function. I did use it the other day when the car was outside on a cooler morning. The car was plugged in and I started the process via the app about 10 minutes before I left. The car was warm when I got in but I did lose about 4 miles of range in spite of the car being plugged in. Now we only use a level 1 charger so I don't know know if that makes a difference or not. (another unanswered question) I assumed the car goes to the last temp set but don't really know for sure.
I read (on different sites, no in the manual) that if you’re on a Level 1 charger, climatizing the car uses more power than the car is getting from the wall socket, so you will lose some mileage. But on a Level 2, you shouldn’t be losing any as the car draws more than enough to make up what is being used to heat/cool the car. I usually have my car in the garage as well, but this week I’ve been in the mountains where it is still snowing, so it’s still pretty chilly in there. I tried climatizing the car last night and it did feel warm when I got in, but noticed it did lose a bit of charge since I am on an L1 charger here. But was curious about the temp. Thanks for responding!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 10:23 AM   #6
wannabeX3owner
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by graz74 View Post
I doubt it is conditioning the battery, otherwise I'd have got max range throughout February when it was cooler. As it was, approx half hour pre-conditioning (1.8kW) saved about 2-3 miles on range due to less load on the HVAC. For the time of day I was using it, it actually equates to about 2-3 miles of electric range 'cost', so no real saving, just convenience. I barely use it now.

There may be more efficiency gains vs conditioning costs in extreme temperatures - bring on summer!

BTW - heated seats are meant to be a more efficient heating method than cabin heating as it is 'direct'.
Wonder if they’ll ever make pre-heating seats part of the climatizing. I rarely use the climatizing function, either, as I’m in San Francisco and the car is parked in the garage most of the time. But am up in the mountains this weeks so tried it out and had plenty of questions that the manual didn’t answer.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 08:54 PM   #7
Ldb25
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3e

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeX3owner View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by graz74 View Post

Wonder if they’ll ever make pre-heating seats part of the climatizing. I rarely use the climatizing function, either, as I’m in San Francisco and the car is parked in the garage most of the time. But am up in the mountains this weeks so tried it out and had plenty of questions that the manual didn’t answer.
I use it in Washington DC when I'm plugged in to my L2 in the garage, especially to cool the car in the hot weather. It seems to use the last temp setting and even a few minutes really cools the car well, which is nice.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2021, 07:21 AM   #8
FredBa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: XDrive30e

I love this feature. Turn the ignition off and the option to start climatizing is right there on the touchscreen. I use it all the time when shopping. The range penalty seems low.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 06:49 PM   #9
wannabeX3owner
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredBa View Post
I love this feature. Turn the ignition off and the option to start climatizing is right there on the touchscreen. I use it all the time when shopping. The range penalty seems low.
Curious, is it plugged in when you climatize while shopping?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 08:47 PM   #10
FredBa
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: XDrive30e

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeX3owner View Post
Curious, is it plugged in when you climatize while shopping?
No, it’s electric heating and cooling right off the high voltage battery. No need for an idling engine. It’s what makes driving locally on electric engine only in hot or freezing weather possible too. BMW hybrids are nicely engineered that way.
Appreciate 1