BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-18-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
davidwfx
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 3.5i

Dynamic Handling Package Details

Hey everyone,

I'm looking at ordering a 2011 X3 3.5i soon but am confused about the options that come with the Dynamic Handling Package vs the Sport Activity Package. According to the bmwusa.com and a PDF ordering guide, with ZDH Dynamic Handling Package you get 223 (Dynamic Damper Control), 2VG (Performance Control), and 2VL (Variable Sport Steering).

The "fully-loaded" demo models at the dealerships I've been to have the ZAP Sport Activity Package and include (no extra charge) 2VG and 2VL but do not include ZDH. The salesman I spoke to just completed X3 training and said the only thing that ZDH adds is something about the electromagnetic suspension that makes it stiffer for off-road driving.

Does anyone know what the deal is with all this? What exactly do you get with the packages and is the ZDH worth the extra $1400? Does the 2VG Normal/Sport/Sport+ switch that comes with ZAP not actually change all the things it says it is? Or is it still changing them but in a different way than the ZDH?

Thanks!
David
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 04:16 PM   #2
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwfx View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm looking at ordering a 2011 X3 3.5i soon but am confused about the options that come with the Dynamic Handling Package vs the Sport Activity Package. According to the bmwusa.com and a PDF ordering guide, with ZDH Dynamic Handling Package you get 223 (Dynamic Damper Control), 2VG (Performance Control), and 2VL (Variable Sport Steering).

The "fully-loaded" demo models at the dealerships I've been to have the ZAP Sport Activity Package and include (no extra charge) 2VG and 2VL but do not include ZDH. The salesman I spoke to just completed X3 training and said the only thing that ZDH adds is something about the electromagnetic suspension that makes it stiffer for off-road driving.

Does anyone know what the deal is with all this? What exactly do you get with the packages and is the ZDH worth the extra $1400? Does the 2VG Normal/Sport/Sport+ switch that comes with ZAP not actually change all the things it says it is? Or is it still changing them but in a different way than the ZDH?

Thanks!
David
My understanding is that the Sports activity package is mostly cosmetic:
• Sports leather steering wheel with paddle shifters
• Sport automatic transmission with shift paddles
• X-Line exterior trim package
• Roof rails in Aluminum Satin
• Sport seats

Whereas the Dynamic handling package includes the performance items of adjustable suspension, variable steering, and performance control.

Maybe the demo X3 had those options added separately? There was a definite change in the different modes when I tried them (the dynamic handling package will be a must have option for me)…I thought it was that good!