BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-07-2022, 04:15 PM   #1
imalovesbimmers
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3 xDrive28i

Exclamation Changing Trans Fluid on X3 with 169k Miles

I have a 2014 BMW X3 with 169,000 miles. To my knowledge, the transmission fluid has never been changed. Today, I scanned the car after getting a check engine light and received the 440102 transfer box (VTG); Oil wear. After researching, I learned that I need to replace the transmission fluid. Should I be concerned about replacing the fluid since the car has such high mileage? I've found mixed information online. Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2022, 07:36 PM   #2
okayr
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3 xDrive28i

If it were me I would change it. It giving a check engine light means it's gone out of tolerance. It's not a mileage counter. This also means you need to be able to reset the transfer box adaptations yourself or take it to a shop that can. I think it would be safer than running the old oil. Just what I would do, but some people will say it's worse to change it.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2022, 08:26 PM   #3
Barbera335
Captain
Rep
Drives: F25

Just so you are aware, VTG fluid is transfer case fluid not transmission fluid. If I were you, I would replace the transfer case fluid and reset transfer case adaptations and I would leave the transmission alone. Messing with the fluid now would probably cause more harm than good.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2022, 08:29 PM   #4
brianhinton77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i, 2016 X5 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by imalovesbimmers View Post
I have a 2014 BMW X3 with 169,000 miles. To my knowledge, the transmission fluid has never been changed. Today, I scanned the car after getting a check engine light and received the 440102 transfer box (VTG); Oil wear. After researching, I learned that I need to replace the transmission fluid. Should I be concerned about replacing the fluid since the car has such high mileage? I've found mixed information online. Thanks for your help.
Just to clarify….Transfer Box Oil and Transmission Fluid change are not the same thing. If you received the code for VTG, then you should change your Transfer Case (Box) Fluid……

Also, if you have never changed your Transmission Fluid….you could do that, but I would only do a transmission fluid drain and fill. There is a very specific procedure to balance the fluid during the change. If you have no problems with the transmission, i.e., slow shifting, hard shifting, or anything related to the actual transmission, I might not even touch it.
Appreciate 0