BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-26-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
denrusso
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 xDrive28i

BMW Convenience Plan - Concierge

I've had my X3 for a few weeks now and after playing around with a few of the features on the Connected Drive section under iDrive it quickly became apparent that most of the feature required a subscription to the BMW Convenience Plan at an annual cost of $199.

The biggest feature that I wanted to take advantage of was the Concierge. I used to have an Amex Platinum card which also came with a concierge service. I assumed I would be getting the same or, at least, a similar level of service. Unfortunately, after making my first call, it quickly became apparent that I would not. My first request was to make a hotel reservation on my behalf. The best they could do was give me the hotel's phone number. My second request was for some research about a (different) hotel I was staying at (already had reservation). Again, the best they could do was provide me with the phone number. I wanted to ask them about making a reservation at a restaurant, but just assumed I would be given the same story (sorry, phone number only). When I had my Amex, I called and asked them to make a reservation at Babbo in NYC for the first available Friday. They called me back in a few weeks with a date and time. Simple. What BMW is offering is not what a concierge service does and calling this as such is very misleading.

Looking over past reviews about this service it seems that it may have changed? Some review I read from a few years ago describe an experience where the user called the concierge was able to help with most requests.

Has anyone else experienced this limited level of service? Are you happy with it? What do you use it for?

Thanks!
dr
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
Save your money.

The few times I tried to use it they were useless. I only use it for the BMW Online on my 335, so didn't bother with the X3.

If you have a smartphone like an iPhone it does anything that the upgraded plan can do.

Also if you install the BMW Remote app you can send directions to your car from your device.

Don't waste your money. The 2 best features are BMW Online, and Emergency calling - and realistically they're both obsolete if you have a smartphone
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 04:05 PM   #3
denrusso
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAMidge View Post
Don't waste your money. The 2 best features are BMW Online, and Emergency calling - and realistically they're both obsolete if you have a smartphone

I agree completely. It's really disappointing that they advertise this 'Concierge' service as one of the perks. Really a waste...

I will not be renewing!

Thanks,
dr
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2012, 04:14 PM   #4
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by denrusso View Post
I agree completely. It's really disappointing that they advertise this 'Concierge' service as one of the perks. Really a waste...

I will not be renewing!

Thanks,
dr
We get the same here in the UK and I've never tried it. I'm tempted to try it now though to see if it's equally as bad as you've experienced (and what you've described above is woeful!)

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #5
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
If I'm not mistaken, I realized it was useless when I called them up and asked if they could help me with restaurant recommendations in an area in which I was traveling in Vermont. They basically said that they can make a reservation for a restaurant if I knew the information.

It's like what's the damn point? If I have the information, I can just call them myself and leave out the middle man.

So it's $200/year to make 5 emergency phone calls if you are without your cell phone. The BMW online service is slow but modestly helpful - again not terribly helpful if you have an iPhone
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 12:43 PM   #6
Renaud
Private
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 20i; 2002 E36/8

No offence, but why would I expect "concierge"-service from a car manufacturer (no matter what their marketing may claim)? Taking into account the number of BMWs circulating, how would these BMW "concierges" ever be able to provide valuable individual advice to all those different clients who have all their specific needs? Unless, of course, BMW would create a separate "concierge"-branch or outsource it to a professional concierge-outfit. In any event, I am already happy if they can fix my car whenever I need them to do so... no need to bother them with other requests...
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 12:49 PM   #7
valeram
Major
Rep
Drives: 992 TTS, 991.2 GT3 T, F80 M3 C

It is one of the features that will cease to exist, in the near future. With the high usage of iPhones/smart phones available.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 02:58 PM   #8
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaud View Post
No offence, but why would I expect "concierge"-service from a car manufacturer (no matter what their marketing may claim)? Taking into account the number of BMWs circulating, how would these BMW "concierges" ever be able to provide valuable individual advice to all those different clients who have all their specific needs? Unless, of course, BMW would create a separate "concierge"-branch or outsource it to a professional concierge-outfit. In any event, I am already happy if they can fix my car whenever I need them to do so... no need to bother them with other requests...
It doesn't matter how they do it, or what you expect, they shouldn't say things like "you can just call them and ask them to book you a hotel" when they are selling you the car (my salesman said almost exactly this) if it's patently untrue. Equally they shouldn't say it will do 200mph and 100mpg

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 03:52 AM   #9
Renaud
Private
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 20i; 2002 E36/8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
It doesn't matter how they do it, or what you expect, they shouldn't say things like "you can just call them and ask them to book you a hotel" when they are selling you the car (my salesman said almost exactly this) if it's patently untrue. Equally they shouldn't say it will do 200mph and 100mpg
Indeed, I would not trust a concierge who tries to sell me a car claiming that it does 200 mph and 100 mpg
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 05:36 AM   #10
Chris111
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i Msport

I bought my X3 to drive not to book restaurants for me. I've got a phone that can do that.....
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 08:33 AM   #11
denrusso
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaud View Post
No offence, but why would I expect "concierge"-service from a car manufacturer (no matter what their marketing may claim)?
Because they advertised it and charged me $200

Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 08:36 AM   #12
denrusso
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris111 View Post
I bought my X3 to drive not to book restaurants for me. I've got a phone that can do that.....
I agree. But I bought the concierge service to book restaurants, hotels, and other travels needs. Sorry, but I just don't have the time to do this (too busy enjoying my X3!) - that's why BMW, Amex, VISA, and others are offering this service.

Thanks,
dr

Last edited by denrusso; 09-28-2012 at 08:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 08:44 AM   #13
denrusso
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by valeram View Post
It is one of the features that will cease to exist, in the near future. With the high usage of iPhones/smart phones available.
I agree that the BMW Concierge may cease to exist - it's absolutely pointless.

But a true concierge service is great. Have you never utilized a concierge when staying at a hotel? The services they can provide are sometimes invaluable. Access to restaurants (they don't care what type of phone you have), theater or concert tickets to sold-out shows, and personal recommendations for activities in and around the area.

This is what Amex provides and I thought BMW would provide something similar, but I was wrong.

Thanks,
dr
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 11:11 AM   #14
Chris111
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i Msport

Ah! It's one of the few things we get free for 3 years in the UK....I can understand your concern now.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2012, 12:46 PM   #15
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by denrusso View Post
I agree. But I bought the concierge service to book restaurants, hotels, and other travels needs. Sorry, but I just don't have the time to do this (too busy enjoying my X3!) - that's why BMW, Amex, VISA, and others are offering this service.

Thanks,
dr
You tend to find that companies do not setup there own service. They will outsource the service to a call centre company. When the agent answers the phone their PC or phone will display how they answer the call i.e. hello BMW, hello Visa etc. etc.

I've got the feature on the car but can't imagine ever using it except for emergencies.

Can BMW automatically get your GPS position from the car if required?
Appreciate 0