BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-23-2021, 09:52 AM   #1
OIFDOC
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 Xdrive28d

Basic tool list for x3

Specifically I have the 2016 28d or 2.0d n47 with technical update.

I have some tools left over from my x5. But would like to put a kit together specifically for the x3. I have a gift card for tekton tools. The only thing I’ve ordered so far is a glow plug socket from sonic.

Wanting 3/8 sockets , normal Torx bits, hex bits etc.

Looked around and didn’t see a post like this. If there is one a link would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 06:47 PM   #2
TEF
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 X3 28d/18 540d xdrive

Garage List
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2016 X3 28d  [0.00]
Not sure, but aren't glow plugs covered by BMW's extended emission warranty for diesels? I know that injectors are included.

As for tools, you might also consider 1/2" drive Torx socket set. These are used on things like brake caliper brackets and suspension parts and not easily removed without the correct sockets.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 07:12 PM   #3
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
24" breaker bar with 17mm deep socket for the lug bolts, if you ever swap your own tires (winter/summer). OBD2 adapter and an app like bimmercode and bimmerlink. Jack pad adapter(s).
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 01:22 AM   #4
OIFDOC
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEF View Post
Not sure, but aren't glow plugs covered by BMW's extended emission warranty for diesels? I know that injectors are included.

As for tools, you might also consider 1/2" drive Torx socket set. These are used on things like brake caliper brackets and suspension parts and not easily removed without the correct sockets.
I’m not sure on the plugs. Regardless even so they’d only replace if bad within the 10 year or mileage. Eventually would run out and to say the difficulty of removing them right at 100k rather just do preventative to prevent any issues.

I’ll do the 3/8 later as I want them to work with my Milwaukee Impact. Probably hit up harbor freight for a set of impact type torx. Now that said for 3/8” what sides would I need for torx and hex? Socket sizes. Don’t want to have to have a complete kit per say of every socket Ie not have the ones I don’t need in the set.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 01:29 AM   #5
OIFDOC
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by najnad View Post
24" breaker bar with 17mm deep socket for the lug bolts, if you ever swap your own tires (winter/summer). OBD2 adapter and an app like bimmercode and bimmerlink. Jack pad adapter(s).
I use my 2962 Milwaukee 1/2 Torque Driver. With 650ft/lbs I hope it has enough to do anything on the vehicle. Though I will be adding a 17mm deep socket made for lugs and a torque stick to it. That way I can use it to tighten to specs without over torquing my lug nuts. I’d not rather have a large breaker bar in 3/8” but 1/2 to use for suspension stuff where I can’t get my drill into.

I have an obd2 reader Bluetooth as well as able to connect my laptop. BimmerCode and BimmerLink as well. Jack adapters maybe be a good idea to
Find one that works with a floor jack to stick with the factory jack points.

I still wish like my Jeep brethren that people would have a list of socket sizes needed for working on the truck. For the keeper crowd they got em down to every nut and bolt with sizes lol. Great way to buy piece meal a kit for the vehicle and not have to buy extra stuff.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2021, 08:12 AM   #6
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

I've never thought about assembling a tool kit for a specific car. Most people own more than one car and the tools will overlap a lot but not be identical. Plus will you probably buy a different car in few years. Also, you can buy a full set of sockets or whatever for the price of just four or five individual ones. A T25 torx will be very common on the car, but I'd hate to buy just that when I suddenly need a T30 or T20. I think the brake caliper bolts are still a 7mm allen wrench. If you do suspension work you may need what are called triple squares, which are used nowhere else on the car except some German makers also use them to connect the seat belt buckle to the seat. Others use torx. I have a full set of metric sockets, several breakers and ratchets, including two torque wrenches (inch pounds and foot pounds), a set of male and female torx, a set of allen wrenches, a set of triple squares, a thin wall spark plug wrench, several different length extensions in the various sizes, a set of box end wrenches for when a socket will not work, and numerous other things. But those types of tools are just the beginning. If you are really going to do a lot of work you need a set of good plastic trim pry tools, a way to pressurize your brake system to make fluid flushes easier, a set of the small "hooks" like small bent ice picks that are handy for a hundred different things, various needle nose pliers and cutters, small mirrors, etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2021, 09:23 AM   #7
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Many DIY wrenchers buy complete sets of each socket type so they have whatever sizes are required. I've never purchased single sockets, except for a few ginormous ones. A torque wrench is much more universal than a torque stick since that only works at a single value, actually I don't own any tongue sticks and have been wrenching for a very long time. Good luck getting your impact gun into many places on the vehicle, many fasteners are in tight locations, plus if you're not careful, the impact may strip/break the fastener, where a breaker bar, may not. Never really seen a list of specific socket sizes required for a specific vehicle since, like I said, just purchase complete socket sets so you have what you need

Here's a basic list a DIY working on a X3 should have:
  • 1/4" 3/8" 1/2" socket sets
  • E & T Torx sets
  • Breaker bar
  • Torque wrench
  • Various small hand tools
  • ISTA+
  • buy other special tools as needed
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 10:34 AM   #8
shumster
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 13 X3 35i M | 09 Mazda RX8 R3

Deep sockets to get to those tough spots and GLOVES. I can't count the times I have bashed my knuckles bloody breaking something loose!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2023, 09:46 AM   #9
PunisherX3
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

my list

I like to do my own car repairs, if they are not major ones.
I usually buy tools wholesale, I want to open my own repair service
My list of tools:
Combination Wrenches, Socket Set, Allen Keys/Hex Keys, Torx Bits/Drivers
Jack and tow rope
Oil filter wrench
Multimeter
Oil pressure tester
Brake wrench
Spark plug wrench
Oil suction
Diagnostic scanner
Tire repair kit