BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-22-2018, 12:46 PM   #1
jiveman
Registered
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf 2017

Previous E46 DIYer considering a used X3

Hello everyone!

TL;DR:
Previous owner of an E46 323i with basic-to-medium DIY maintenance experience considering a 2014-2015 X3 xDrive28i with more or less average mileage (for its age). Looking to learn what to expect, how maintenance costs are, and how difficult it is to DIY common issues. I'm aware of some engine issues with pre-2014 models, which is why I'm trying to stick to 2014 and up.

Full Background:
As the title says, I'm a previous owner of an 2000 323i E46 that I enjoyed driving. I sold it a few years ago when I moved from east coast to west coast (San Diego), and I own a 2017 e-Golf and a 2012 5-spd Passat. My wife and I want to replace the Passat with a small SUV for some more utility space. Needless to say, we're considering a used F25 X3, among some other choices. So far, top of our list are 2015-2016 Mazda CX-5 and 2014-2015 BMW X3. I know they are a bit in different categories and not really apples to apples. But it's what's on our mind, nonetheless.

With BMWs, I know they are higher performance, higher standard, better interiors, better handling and better overall driving feel. However, they're also more complex and more expensive to repair. I used to do a lot of DIY stuff on my E46 to offset the maintenance costs, like oil changes, filters, belts, brakes, window regulators (E46 owners will know what I'm talking about ), and even a bit more involved stuff like spark plugs, pulleys, and on the more complex side, alternator replacement, oil-filter housing gasket replacement, and even control arms and bushings one time (wouldn't do that again!). I don't consider myself super mechanically inclined, but with enough DIY instructions and pictures from forums such as this one, I'm OK taking on some work myself.

The trouble is, I don't have as much time for DIY these days as I used to back when I owned the E46. I'm still interested in doing at least some work on an X3, at least the regular maintenance, to help offset maintenance costs (and I KNOW they would be higher than the Mazda CX-5).

Which brings me to my question: For someone like me, based on the description above, what should I know about potentially getting a 2014-2015 X3, with let's say around average number of miles on it? I know pre-2014 models have known issues with the 4-cylinder engines, so Im trying to stay with 2014 and up. I also want to keep the cost down as we're not really looking to spend a ton on a used vehicle. Which probably means not getting a 6-cylinder model (and also to keep MPG down), and probably not going any newer than 2015.

Also, can you confirm what the standard warranty is on X3s? Is it 4yrs/50k miles, right? I don't know what chances I have of finding something still on warranty from those years, but just wanted to make sure I know my parameters.

I appreciate whatever wisdom you could share!

Thanks!

Last edited by jiveman; 09-23-2018 at 11:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 03:44 PM   #2
BE X
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 35d /X3 35i / R1200R

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiveman View Post
Hello everyone!

TL;DR:
Previous owner of an E46 323i with basic-to-medium DIY maintenance experience considering a 2014-2015 X3 xDrive28i with more or less average mileage (for its age). Looking to learn what to expect, how maintenance costs are, and how difficult it is to DIY common issues. I'm aware of some engine issues with pre-2014 models, which is why I'm trying to stick to 2014 and up.

Full Background:
As the title says, I'm a previous owner of an 2000 323i E46 that I enjoyed driving. I sold it a few years ago when I moved from east coast to west coast (San Diego), and I know own a 2017 e-Golf and a 2012 5-spd Passat. My wife and I want to replace the Passat with a small SUV for some more utility space. Needless to say, we're considering a used F25 X3, among some other choices. So far, top of our list are 2015-2016 Mazda CX-5 and 2014-2015 BMW X3. I know they are a bit in different categories and not really apples to apples. But it's what's on our mind, nonetheless.

With BMWs, I know they are higher performance, higher standard, better interiors, better handling and better overall driving feel. However, they're also more complex and more expensive to repair. I used to do a lot of DIY stuff on my E46 to offset the maintenance costs, like oil changes, filters, belts, brakes, window regulators (E46 owners will know what I'm talking about ), and even a bit more involved stuff like spark plugs, pulleys, and on the more complex side, alternator replacement, oil-filter housing gasket replacement, and even control arms and bushings one time (wouldn't do that again!). I don't consider myself super mechanically inclined, but with enough DIY instructions and pictures from forums such as this one, I'm OK taking on some work myself.

The trouble is, I don't have as much time for DIY these days as I used to back when I owned the E46. I'm still interested in doing at least some work on an X3, at least the regular maintenance, to help offset maintenance costs (and I KNOW they would be higher than the Mazda CX-5).

Which brings me to my question: For someone like me, based on the description above, what should I know about potentially getting a 2014-2015 X3, with let's say around average number of miles on it? I know pre-2014 models have known issues with the 4-cylinder engines, so Im trying to stay with 2014 and up. I also want to keep the cost down as we're not really looking to spend a ton on a used vehicle. Which probably means not getting a 6-cylinder model (and also to keep MPG down), and probably not going any newer than 2015.

Also, can you confirm what the standard warranty is on X3s? Is it 4yrs/50k miles, right? I don't know what chances I have of finding something still on warranty from those years, but just wanted to make sure I know my parameters.

I appreciate whatever wisdom you could share!

Thanks!
First thought - find a local independent BMW shop that can do any work that you do not have time or desire to do. Multiple sources can lead you to the right shop but if you are a member of the BMW CCA or ask on the forums, you can figure that out.

Depending on your driving style and needs, consider a 2015 X3 28d.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 04:11 PM   #3
E90705
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90/F25 M-sport

I'd opt for the Mazda CX-5 over the Lci 28i. Better fuel economy, less maintenance, cost of ownership. Both feel equally as sporty to drive handling wise. The 35i variant I'd choose hence its a taller 335i.

35i >cx5. Cx5>Lci 28i.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 08:10 PM   #4
Barbera335
Captain
Rep
Drives: F25

I have a 2011 28i that I bought new. It currently has 96k miles. Since I bought it I have had to replace the combox, all 4 door seals, AC evaporator, coolant expansion tank twice, 12 volt battery, multiple software updates, glove box door due to delamination, and most recently the PCV valve for a recall. It has been more needy than any other car I have owned but overall not terrible and it has met my expectations
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 08:20 PM   #5
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
So far, top of our list are 2015-2016 Mazda CX-5 and 2014-2015 BMW X3.
That's an odd comparison, not because of cost or performance or anything similar but because of size. Have you driven both? The X3 feels like it has double the interior space.

Off the top the X3 isn't siginificantly different than any other BMW of its age and if you've owned one already and have some decent DIY background then you know what to expect. You may have no issues, lots of issues, minor or serious, DIY-able or not, just don't know. More likely than other brands i.e. Mazda but still not altogether likely.

I'm more curious what you really need though. # people you plan to carry and how often, how much you enjoy taking on ramps a bit fast, cargo needs i.e. trips tot he compost site, Home Depot, camping?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 07:44 AM   #6
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Hello everyone!

TL;DR:
I'm aware of some engine issues with pre-2014 models, which is why I'm trying to stick to 2014 and up.
A redesigned timing chain guide was introduced for the N20 engine in January 2015. There have been some concerns expressed about timing chain issues in 2014 models with the older timing chain guide design.

http://www.rightfootdown.com/cars/au...nents-n26-too/

https://bmwtechnician.com/2016/08/07...g-chain-issue/

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1482736

You might want to pay extra attention to the service history and driving history of any used X3 you are considering. There has been some speculation that shorter oil change intervals, say 5K to 7.5K miles, instead of 10K miles or more, may help to avoid some problems. Some suggest that avoiding repeated engine re-starts by turning off the auto stop/start feature or using the vehicle mostly for longer trips may avoid some stress on the timing chain.

https://techmax.ca/BMW-repair/proble...-timing-chain/
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 12:14 PM   #7
jiveman
Registered
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf 2017

Thank you all, useful info here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BE X View Post
...Depending on your driving style and needs, consider a 2015 X3 28d.
I think I'd enjoy having a diesel, but that would probably have to increase the initial purchase budget. I will still consider it though, fair point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90705 View Post
I'd opt for the Mazda CX-5 over the Lci 28i. Better fuel economy, less maintenance, cost of ownership. Both feel equally as sporty to drive handling wise...
Didn't know what "LCI" was til you mentioned something. Thanks! Are you suggesting that specifically LCI is less desirable than pre-LCI or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbera335 View Post
I have a 2011 28i that I bought new. It currently has 96k miles. Since I bought it I have had to replace the combox, all 4 door seals, AC evaporator, coolant expansion tank twice, 12 volt battery, multiple software updates, glove box door due to delamination, and most recently the PCV valve for a recall. It has been more needy than any other car I have owned but overall not terrible and it has met my expectations
Yeah, "needy" is a way I would describe my old E46, too. But I can handle somewhat more needy for the exchange of improved driving feel and better interior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
That's an odd comparison, not because of cost or performance or anything similar but because of size. Have you driven both? The X3 feels like it has double the interior space...
Yes, have driven both. Not sure if the X3 "feels" bigger inside, but it isn't according to specs. It's actually slightly smaller (less rear legroom, less cargo room). The X3 is longer and wider on the outside though, and heavier.
https://www.edmunds.com/mazda/cx-5/2015/features-specs/
https://www.edmunds.com/bmw/x3/2015/features-specs/

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
I'm more curious what you really need though. # people you plan to carry and how often, how much you enjoy taking on ramps a bit fast, cargo needs i.e. trips tot he compost site, Home Depot, camping?
Fair question. On a regular daily-driving basis, it'd be one person (work commute). Weekends, two people and for occasional home projects (Home Depot and whatnot). Occasional longer trips (say, San Diego-LA or something) with friends or family. Occasional longer drives (maybe few times a year total) for things like camping/skiing/hiking. not too often though. Possible baby in the plans for next year.
So overall, the need for an SUV is driven by the fact that we now own a house, and there is more need for Home Depot/Costco trips and for other supplies from time to time, compared to when we lived in an apartment. The idea being, since we must have two vehicles anyways for different schedules and work commutes, than having a small all-electric e-Golf + an SUV would cover our bases well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganMike View Post
A redesigned timing chain guide was introduced for the N20 engine in January 2015. There have been some concerns expressed about timing chain issues in 2014 models with the older timing chain guide design....There has been some speculation that shorter oil change intervals, say 5K to 7.5K miles, instead of 10K miles or more, may help to avoid some problems. Some suggest that avoiding repeated engine re-starts by turning off the auto stop/start feature or using the vehicle mostly for longer trips may avoid some stress on the timing chain.
Great info, thank you! This is an important one, since most our daily trips would be relatively short. Work commute distance is only about 10-miles one way, however it's about 75% on the highway though. But if this means having to go with 2015 to be on the safer side, that might mean I will have even harder time finding something to fit the budget. Will do some research.

Just wondering how much worse MPG do you get by turning off auto start/stop feature?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 02:47 PM   #8
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Yes, have driven both. Not sure if the X3 "feels" bigger inside, but it isn't according to specs. It's actually slightly smaller (less rear legroom, less cargo room). The X3 is longer and wider on the outside though, and heavier.
Might depend on what years you are comparing, older or newer, models have undergone some changes. I drove both cars back to back and brought both home to have a chance to check them out, and perhaps incorrectly but either way was very convinced the X3 had a more useful trunk and more room in the back.

Sounds like you're ont he right track with your expected uses, but do keep in mind depending on how many Home Depot trips you have they do rent out trucks and will deliver. Not saying you should actually buy a Miata but keep that in mind and let the daily driving be more of your guide
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2018, 03:36 PM   #9
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Great info, thank you! This is an important one, since most our daily trips would be relatively short. Work commute distance is only about 10-miles one way, however it's about 75% on the highway though. But if this means having to go with 2015 to be on the safer side, that might mean I will have even harder time finding something to fit the budget. Will do some research.

Just wondering how much worse MPG do you get by turning off auto start/stop feature?
Edmunds posted an article addressing potential fuel savings when using a stop-start system. If you drive primarily in stop and go traffic with the AC off, you might approach 10% fuel savings. If you drive mostly on the highway with AC on, savings may be less than 3%. In other words, YMMV.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/...save-fuel.html

If the potential savings of 1 or 2 mpg from auto start-stop are really important to you, note the Mazda CX5 takes regular gas while the X3 requires premium gas and the Mazda should average a couple MPG more than the X3.

Last edited by MichiganMike; 09-23-2018 at 03:47 PM..
Appreciate 0