BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-26-2011, 10:02 AM   #1
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Run Flats or Reg Tires/Mobility Kit?

Looking ahead, when it comes to getting new tires (or 'ti-rees' tyres for our eu and Canadian friends) which is better?

Run Flats

Pros: No new equipment, no roadside work in case of a flat,
Cons: Fewer tire options, expensive, can't reuse (I'm not sure about that, probably depends on the severity of the breach, how far/fast you drove on it, etc.),

Regular tires

Pros: Lot's of options, less expensive, can usually repair the tire
Cons: Need at least a mobility kit or worse, a spare tire, would require roadside work,

I guess my main question is... what does the group think about the Mobility Kit (portable compressor and tire sealant)?

Packages | M-Sport | Cold I & II | Tech | Premium | Sound | BMW Apps, HUD, Net
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 11:01 AM   #2
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

For me it's a simple decision. It's my wife's car so from a security perspective I would prefer for her not to have to stop at the roadside in the dead of winter and fiddle about with sealing kits and compressors. So RFT's are the right choice for her.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep

Wife...

Yeah, I've got one of those as well... She'll definitely be in the car during the Winter... Here's my decision factors...

1. Flats are rare (just based on my own personal experiences)
2. Run flats are almost twice as much as a regular tire and you don't have many options
3. In case of a flat, my wife would typically be in town somewhere I could get to quickly enough
4. We also have the BMW Roadside that could help if needed.
5. She doesn't take the car on trips out of town without me in it

It's all a matter of calculated risks, which we all do, and it's subjective. I see it as a very mild risk. But one factor that I don't know much about is the Mobility Kit. All the flat's I've had have been slow leakers. Usually a nail (typically still in the tire) or screw or something like that. I've not had a blow-out or gash to date (knock on wood). I wonder if anyone has used tire sealant before? What kind of leak was it and did it work?

Thanks,

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 12:08 PM   #4
ZipSpeed
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive35i

Agreed with Le Chef. Yeah it sucks BMW uses RFTs but we all knew what we were getting into when we bought our vehicles. Safety-wise, I'm sticking with RFTs.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Sticking with RFT as it's my wife's car. I also carry a mobility kit but mainly for the compressor for long trips when I am there. Most puncture are slow leaks anyway, so once you pump it up and take care of the conditions - just keep driving until you can get the tyre fix.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 07:46 PM   #6
walendvay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 F25 28i; '13 E84 35i

I have the OEM RFT for the summer and I am using non-RFT (since I had them already from my previous X3) snow tires for the winter. I have a jack and spare in the back, along with a mobility kit. I can't see throwing away 1 season old snow tires and replacing them with RFTs. Maybe I'll get RFTs for snows when they wear out.

I did spend $250ish buy TPMS for the wheels and to have them installed. What a scam, if you ask me. thank you US government for going with ACTIVE sensors rather than passive ABS type sensors! The ABS type worked fine on my '04 X3.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 07:47 PM   #7
walendvay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 F25 28i; '13 E84 35i

I agree about RFT = happy wife, however, she drove the '04 X3 and only had to change one tire and it was in the summer. That was over a 7 year span. I think flats are less likely in the winter (puncture flats, that is). just don't slide into curbs!

then again, where we live, I'd be more afraid of sliding off the mountain road, which would be much worse than a flat!

good luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 07:53 PM   #8
torzeck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i, 2020 X3 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenX3 View Post
Looking ahead, when it comes to getting new tires (or 'ti-rees' tyres for our eu and Canadian friends) which is better?

Run Flats

Pros: No new equipment, no roadside work in case of a flat,
Cons: Fewer tire options, expensive, can't reuse (I'm not sure about that, probably depends on the severity of the breach, how far/fast you drove on it, etc.),

Regular tires

Pros: Lot's of options, less expensive, can usually repair the tire
Cons: Need at least a mobility kit or worse, a spare tire, would require roadside work,

I guess my main question is... what does the group think about the Mobility Kit (portable compressor and tire sealant)?
I think the sealant will kill your TPMS sensors and then your out some more dollars as well. That said, I do agree the flat risk is low and BMW roadside will be there.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 11:58 PM   #9
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep

TPMS!

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about the TPMS... Sealant probably would render the sensor useless from that point on. Probably about $50 a sensor...

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 07:43 AM   #10
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
I've had BMWs with run flats since 2005, and have faced this question for myself a few times over the years. The debate on run flats is ongoing and very subjective, but I have stuck with them.

In our E92, we had a flat tire during a vacation trip... hundreds of miles from home and hundreds of miles from our destination. I was doing about 75 MPH, and if the chime and warning light hadn't told me I had a tire problem I never would have known.... I literally felt nothing. So, I'm a believer in the safety factor for sure. The problem was - at 4:30 PM on a Friday on a turnpike (luckily I was only a couple miles from a service plaza and was able to pull of to a safe comfortable location) there is no way you're going to find a replacemet for the RFT.

I have adopted a new solution since then. I run the run flats, but I also carry a kit that contains a 12 volt compressor and a plug kit. Since most tire damage is a tread area puncture, I can pull off the road ASAP to a level and safe work area, find the hole, and plug it. To me this is the best of both worlds (though certainly not ideal or convient by any means).

"They" will tell you that RFT's should not be repaird or plugged, and that can be true - but it can also be misleading. If you catch the problem right away and don't drive long or fast on the deflated tire, you will not do much damage to the reinforced sidewalls. So, if you're able to plug it right away there is no reason you can't run that tire for the remainder of its normal life.

Some say the would rather have non-RFTs and a space saver spare. Frankly, I don't see the benefit. A donut spare is good for maybe up to 100 miles at 50 MPH... sound familiar? Then what? You still need a tire... just like the RFT. Plus you have to carry a jack and do the repair where and when the tire dictates. With a non-RFT you don't have the choice of driving a few miles to the next exit or safe pull-off.

Others may disagree, and that's fine - as I said it is a very subjective topic. But that's my solution at this point.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 04:38 PM   #11
kirby
Rep
Drives: considering X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post

I have adopted a new solution since then. I run the run flats, but I also carry a kit that contains a 12 volt compressor and a plug kit. Since most tire damage is a tread area puncture, I can pull off the road ASAP to a level and safe work area, find the hole, and plug it. To me this is the best of both worlds (though certainly not ideal or convient by any means)
Is the plug a permanent repair or a temporary repair (where you would bring the car to a tyre shop to have a permanent repair later) ??
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 06:12 PM   #12
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby View Post
Is the plug a permanent repair or a temporary repair (where you would bring the car to a tyre shop to have a permanent repair later) ??
Tire plugs, if installed properly, are a permanent repair. If you're a novice at performing the process (as I am) then it would be prudent to have a tire pro inspect the work later, just for peace of mind.

A recommended step is to use good tire patch adhesive on the plug to ensure it does not come loose and creates a good seal.

I know... only God can create a seal, but any bully with a club can kill one...

Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 06:38 PM   #13
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

I would +1 everything Ledzep said. I am a big fan of plugging tires in situ when possible. I carry a plug kit and 12V compressor in my Acura (which doesn't have RFTs, but you get the idea). In cases where I find a nail/screw before the tire is flat, I can generally pull the nail, prep the hole, and shove in a plug without losing very much air.

RFTs can be a hassle since it often takes 1-2 days to get them in stock at any tire dealer. That can be a real PITA, especially if you're on vacation or it's the weekend. My wife got a flat last Friday afternoon, and her car was out of commission until Wednesday. The flat was caused by a cut right where the tread and sidewall meet, and wasn't something that could be repaired. So we had to order a new tire and wait for it to ship on Monday, arrive here on Tuesday, and then get mounted on Wednesday. That's the hidden penalty of RFTs.

Another reason not to go with RFTs would be off-roading -- you'll want a proper full size spare for that. I don't think many BMW owners fall into that category though.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 04:03 PM   #14
Horsedoc67
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 35i Z4 2011 X3 35i

I am now a true believer in RFT after cutting the LF on my 2010 Z4 on a rock. I drove 30 mi at 40 mph to the BMW dealership with no problem had the tire replaced and was on my way. I just finished a 1500 mi cross country from CA to Nebraska with my X3 35i running Goodyear FS2 19 inch averaging 75 mph and 24.9 mpg. The tires handled extremely well and were cool to the touch at gas stops in 80 degree weather. Needless to say I am extremely happy with both the car & the tires.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 04:59 PM   #15
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Just a word of warning on plugs. As LedZep may attest to, plugging a tire the first time, especially if it's still on the car can be difficult. It is not brain surgery, but learning the technique of pushing the rasp through the steel belts and inserting the plug has a learning curve. I've done about five of them over the years and everyone has held up for thousands of miles. That said, I carry a compressor and plug kit with the car. If you don't damage the RFT sidewall you should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 05:56 PM   #16
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Perhaps not a priority for X3 owners but normal tyres are so much lighter than RFT. You would certainly notice the better handling when changing from RF to normal tyres.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 01:53 AM   #17
kirby
Rep

Guys, what is in the mobility kit? How much does it cost?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 06:39 AM   #18
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive View Post
Just a word of warning on plugs. As LedZep may attest to, plugging a tire the first time, especially if it's still on the car can be difficult. It is not brain surgery, but learning the technique of pushing the rasp through the steel belts and inserting the plug has a learning curve. I've done about five of them over the years and everyone has held up for thousands of miles. That said, I carry a compressor and plug kit with the car. If you don't damage the RFT sidewall you should be fine.
Thanks for adding those words of caution and setting expectations. I have never plugged a tire, but I expect if I ever had to I would be surprised at the amount of force required to reem the hole and insert the plug. And as you say - doing this while on the vehicle (possibly on the side of the road) would be an unpleasent chore at the very least.

I would encourage anyone who plans to use this method to view some of the "how to" videos available on YouTube. I also want to get an old tire sometime and actually do it, so that I have more familiarity if and when the true need arises.

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 10:22 AM   #19
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep

Mobility Kit

Kirby - the mobility kit is basically an air compressor and some sealant... Oh, and let's not forget the gloves

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 02:59 PM   #20
kirby
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
I would encourage anyone who plans to use this method to view some of the "how to" videos available on YouTube. I also want to get an old tire sometime and actually do it, so that I have more familiarity if and when the true need arises.
Taking your advice and watched some video. http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...1#post10706881
I am a bit concern with the amount of force needed to insert the plug. It would be hard to do that if the tyre is still on the car.

Shall get some old tyre to try out the patching exercise.

Also thanks GenX3 for the mobility kit clarification and the gloves. I already have a 12V pump so I guess I just need to make up the rest of the kits.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 04:56 PM   #21
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby View Post
Taking your advice and watched some video. http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...1#post10706881
I am a bit concern with the amount of force needed to insert the plug. It would be hard to do that if the tyre is still on the car..
I think getting the hole clean with the rasp is really the hard part. I've actually used a rock once to help push it through. When inserting the plug use the rubber cement and a firm pressure. Let up quickly once the plug starts going in (Yes, I have put one all the way through the tire). Once inserted, a quick twist and pull will do it.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2011, 06:13 PM   #22
kirby
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive View Post
Once inserted, a quick twist and pull will do it.
I always wonder, after watching those video, won't you pull out the plug as well? or maybe there is more friction between the plug and the tyre and hence that friction hold the plug in place when you pull the needle out.
Appreciate 0