BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-11-2013, 05:15 PM   #1
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Weird scraping noise- Brake Drying?

Hi,

Just returned back from a short journey (5 miles) and towards the end of the trip the car was making a scraping sound as if something was trapped in the wheel arch. I pulled up, and had a look around, and couldn't see anything. Drove another few hundred yards and the noise returned. Pulled up on the kerb, had another look for anything. Nothing there. Since then it's been ok. I've heard this sound once before when the I drove through a load of slush in December. It's been pretty wet around here today.

I noticed in the brochure that the 30d comes with brake drying as part of the DSC extended. Is the noise related to this?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
Rich4
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 30d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post
Hi,

Just returned back from a short journey (5 miles) and towards the end of the trip the car was making a scraping sound as if something was trapped in the wheel arch. I pulled up, and had a look around, and couldn't see anything. Drove another few hundred yards and the noise returned. Pulled up on the kerb, had another look for anything. Nothing there. Since then it's been ok. I've heard this sound once before when the I drove through a load of slush in December. It's been pretty wet around here today.

I noticed in the brochure that the 30d comes with brake drying as part of the DSC extended. Is the noise related to this?
I had a very similar experience last year within a couple of weeks of new and <200 miles. Never found out what caused it but no repeat since then (now at 12k) and no apparent damage despite the really horrific screeching. See link below, but some suggested it may have been some grit stuck between the pad and discs. BMW emergency line suggested to do an 'emergenvy' stop which cured the problem. I wondered then as I do now if it was a grit/pepple that caused it then quite likely its a design defect of the caliper brake assembly as I had never previously experienced such a condition in any car despite 40+ years and 000s miles of driving on unsurfaced dirt roads in Africa.

Hope yours pans out OK and would be interesting to know the outcome.
Check out:
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=691463
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2013, 08:25 AM   #3
slyfox
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X3-20d (2013)

Yes I have had that problem with another manufacture.
Turned out to be a small stone jammed between the pad and the disc!

Reversed the car a couple of times and applied the brakes. stone came out and no more scrapping noise!
Appreciate 0