BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-03-2011, 10:19 AM   #133
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Looks fantastic. Great effort. Seems a shame to drive it now!

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 11:10 AM   #134
flash3
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

LedZep WOW!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 11:11 AM   #135
flash3
Captain
Rep

is this the stuff you guys use to clean the dash, door panels etc? http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einzett-cockpit-premium.html
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 11:18 AM   #136
509trooper
Staff Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3 View Post

is this the stuff you guys use to clean the dash, door panels etc? http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einzett-cockpit-premium.html
Haven't actually used this product yet, but I've heard good things about it.
      07-03-2011, 02:15 PM   #137
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
Wow. Looks great! Love the reflection of the BMW emblem.
I agree..looks amazing Zep!
I did a double take at that first picture, the reflection was so stark on that BMW emblem I thought it was laid on top of the hood and not a reflection!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 05:45 PM   #138
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Nothing like detailing your car to bring needed rain. Small storms swirling by. Might be reason to actually go out for a drive and enjoy the water beading up and running off the car!! Lots of the 4th of July fireworks are tonight. Hoping folks don't get soaked!
      07-03-2011, 05:54 PM   #139
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I'm still kinda confused on what to use where on the interior. We have the textured section over the dash, the hard plastic on the dashboard, the clear plastic over the dials, the nav screen, the trim (wood, aluminum), the "cheap hard plastic" on the doors, the glove box (which is that?), vents, interior glass, and of course the leather. I'm sure I missed several things, but those are the mains ones I can think of cleaning/dusting/wiping.

For me, I don't like anything that "shines up" the interior or makes it the slightest bit greasy. Very much like the matte, natural, dry appearance. Would like to keep it in good condition, UV protected, and dust resistant if at all possible. Ah crap, the carpeted sections. What about some kind of 3M carpet protector?

So far I've used Stoner's glass cleaner on the interior windows and the production slime is just about gone. Other than that, I haven't done anything but dust a bit. I have Zaino leather products I used successfully on my 330i, but am a bit hesitant because of the stitching.

Okay, and what about the engine area? Anyone used any cleaners/protectors there? Many of the components appear to be made of the same materials our other detailing products say they're intended to protect? Can we increase durability of stuff in there? So far I've only applied Zaino Z-2 to painted things.
      07-03-2011, 06:59 PM   #140
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Quote:

For me, I don't like anything that "shines up" the interior or makes it the slightest bit greasy. Very much like the matte, natural, dry appearance. Would like to keep it in good condition, UV protected, and dust resistant if at all possible. Ah crap, the carpeted sections. What about some kind of 3M carpet protector?

So far I've used Stoner's glass cleaner on the interior windows and the production slime is just about gone. Other than that, I haven't done anything but dust a bit. I have Zaino leather products I used successfully on my 330i, but am a bit hesitant because of the stitching.
I've been using a Meguiar's product that I used on the previous car. It's call Natural Shine Protectant. Gives the appearance that you described, plus it has UV inhibitors and 3M Scotchguard. Does a nice job without the slime.

I use Stoner's also, but still haven't hit the perfect clear window stage. I've used two different leather conditioners/cleaner. I've had no problems with the stitching and I have black leather/ white stitching.

Added: Nav screen, microfiber cloth with a little distilled water on it.

Last edited by Radioactive; 07-03-2011 at 07:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 07:51 PM   #141
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Yeah, the interior is certainly a mix of materials and textures. There is no one cleaner or method for it all, but I only use a few. I use 303 Aerospace Protectant for the vinyl and solid (opposed to clear) plastics. It gives a satin type finish, not a "greasy, glossy" look which I also hate. It also has terrific UV protection to keep the dash and upper door panels safe from drying, fading, cracking, and warping.

For the leather, I generally use a Meguire's leather cleaner/conditioner. It's a spray-on, wipe-off type. If that is used regularly there is little need for a stronger cleaner. This includes the leather on the steering wheel. It also leaves a nice finish and no greasy look or feel. Has a pleasant scent as well, but not overpowering.

For the clear plastic parts (gauge cover, iDrive screen, etc.) I use Plexus. But most often I simply wipe gently with a soft microfiber to remove dust.

I have Griot's Garage Interior Cleaner that is generally good for almost any interior surface, and I'll use that for the console, wood, interior metal, dash controls, etc. Just a spritz on a micro fiber cloth and gentle wiping.

Here's a tip for getting the dust out of your A/C vents and other crevices.... use a soft bristled paint brush (one that has never been used for painting of course). A natural hair variety is better than an artificial bristle such as nylon, as there is no danger it can scratch anything.

Interior glass gets Windex, just like the house. Exterior glass does not. Windex on the exterior of your glass will cause it to streak and splotch.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 07:57 PM   #142
flash3
Captain
Rep

Used the souverign spray wax today -- that stuff is awesome! It is much better than the McGuire's ultimate quik wax I was using before.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 08:00 PM   #143
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Nothing like detailing your car to bring needed rain. Small storms swirling by. Might be reason to actually go out for a drive and enjoy the water beading up and running off the car!! Lots of the 4th of July fireworks are tonight. Hoping folks don't get soaked!
I hear that bro! Usually, it really pisses me off when I spend hours on the car over the weekend and it rains early in the week... but we need the rain so bad, I will welcome it.

However, I did test and I did such an amazing job on the X5 that water will not touch it. It just beads into droplets and hovers about 1" above the surface.

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 08:33 PM   #144
gareth12468
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 28i

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Any recommendation for beige leatherette?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 10:02 PM   #145
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth12468 View Post
Any recommendation for beige leatherette?
A general cleaner would be best. I use the Griot's Garage Interior Cleaner for similar materials, but I'm sure there are others. You would want something that doesn't leave a greasy film of any kind, but also one that does not dry out the material by robbing moisture. If you don't have any really bad dirt, try just a clean damp cloth. If using another product, test it on an inconspicuous area first, just to be sure.

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 09:44 AM   #146
flash3
Captain
Rep

So I washed and waxed the X3 last night (3 hours) and it's sitting nicely in the garage at the moment - I need to go and run errands - but don't want to take the X3.

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 09:46 AM   #147
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Ah, take it out and enjoy the shine! If you're like me, it's just gonna start getting dirty tomorrow on the way to work anyway.
      07-04-2011, 09:52 AM   #148
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3 View Post
So I washed and waxed the X3 last night (3 hours) and it's sitting nicely in the garage at the moment - I need to go and run errands - but don't want to take the X3.

I know exactly how you feel. I go through that almost every week. The odds of it raining on Monday are about 99% after I've got the cars all nice and clean.

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 03:21 PM   #149
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

I’ve got a question for our master detailers…

It seems like Dawn dish washing liquid is good for stripping the old wax off the car.
Are other brands just as good, or should I go out and get a bottle of Dawn.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 04:41 PM   #150
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harplayr View Post
I’ve got a question for our master detailers…

It seems like Dawn dish washing liquid is good for stripping the old wax off the car.
Are other brands just as good, or should I go out and get a bottle of Dawn.
Well, I don't consider myself a master detailer by any means... but I'll take a stab at an answer.

Dawn isn't the only stripper. There is Crystal, Bambi, and Diamond.... oh, you mean for wax. Okay. Dawn is particularly good because has such good grease cutters. Waxes, polymers and the like are very similar to grease from a chemical point of view. There are many others that will also do the job, just look for the "gets the grease out" type of liquids. But avoid anything too harsh as it might harm the paint itself.

When I was younger, before people were making "car wash soap", I used to use Johnson's Baby Shampoo because it was mild and didn't remove the wax. Plus, if you got some in the headlights, it didn't cry.

If you need to remove wax from just a certain area, say the hood... you can use this: http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/11135.do

You'll know you've gotten the job done when you do a rinse with a flow of water and it does not bead at all. The paint will feel "grippy" and "squeaky" to your bare hand. Take the brand of dish soap you're using now and do a small test area - then you'll know.

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 05:50 PM   #151
11x35SapphireBlk
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3.5 Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
Well, I don't consider myself a master detailer by any means... but I'll take a stab at an answer.

Dawn isn't the only stripper. There is Crystal, Bambi, and Diamond.... oh, you mean for wax. Okay. Dawn is particularly good because has such good grease cutters. Waxes, polymers and the like are very similar to grease from a chemical point of view. There are many others that will also do the job, just look for the "gets the grease out" type of liquids. But avoid anything too harsh as it might harm the paint itself.

When I was younger, before people were making "car wash soap", I used to use Johnson's Baby Shampoo because it was mild and didn't remove the wax. Plus, if you got some in the headlights, it didn't cry.

If you need to remove wax from just a certain area, say the hood... you can use this: http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/11135.do

You'll know you've gotten the job done when you do a rinse with a flow of water and it does not bead at all. The paint will feel "grippy" and "squeaky" to your bare hand. Take the brand of dish soap you're using now and do a small test area - then you'll know.
Agree. If you are going to polish and wax then the stripping need of the wash is really unnecessary. The polish will take anything off as it is mechanically removing the top surface of the paint or clearcoat.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 07:01 PM   #152
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11x35SapphireBlk View Post
Agree. If you are going to polish and wax then the stripping need of the wash is really unnecessary. The polish will take anything off as it is mechanically removing the top surface of the paint or clearcoat.
Partially agree. But you'll be making the polish work that much harder by going through layer(s) of sealant or wax before it gets to the top coat. And most polishes break down as they are used, so the effectiveness is reduced. I like to start with bare paint, preferably clayed first to remove contaminents that a wash doesn't get.

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2011, 08:14 PM   #153
flash3
Captain
Rep

Are our rims aluminum?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 12:14 AM   #154
509trooper
Staff Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i

I just ordered $180 worth of crap from auto geek.