BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-01-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
TPMS!!!

so for the past couple of days the tpms lamp warning has been displaying on the idrive. i checked the tire to see if it was actually low, it wasnt. it was slightly above 30psi! the reset works for short period and then it comes up again. i know if the sensor is bad the warning lamp is red, is this correct? the error im getting is yellow and display the rear tire passenger side!

anyone has come across this...
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 01:13 PM   #2
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

Fluctuating ambient temps will cause this. You did the right thing by actually checking the psi rather than the impulse reset via iDrive. I'm willing to bet you fell just under the low psi cut-off. Sometimes my light will go off as I am driving in to work. It sits outside in the sun all day and when I drive home the warning will go off. Seems to only happen on really cold nights that have much warmer afternoons.

I say keep an eye on it, be sure to check the PSI if it goes off again though. Some don't realize that the RFTs, even when flat, don't look flat thus visual inspection alone can't always be trusted.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #3
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by n55x3 View Post
Fluctuating ambient temps will cause this. You did the right thing by actually checking the psi rather than the impulse reset via iDrive. I'm willing to bet you fell just under the low psi cut-off. Sometimes my light will go off as I am driving in to work. It sits outside in the sun all day and when I drive home the warning will go off. Seems to only happen on really cold nights that have much warmer afternoons.

I say keep an eye on it, be sure to check the PSI if it goes off again though. Some don't realize that the RFTs, even when flat, don't look flat thus visual inspection alone can't always be trusted.
i agree it happens when temp is below 40 and its same tire when the low pressure warning comes on. at first i was just resetting it and it would go away. when the error came on again for few days in a row i thought i had slow leak, so i check the tire pressure it was fine. so theres no air leak it must be sensitive sensor

thanks for the reply
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 04:47 PM   #4
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2021 X3 M40i

I adjusted my tire pressure the other day to be what's on the side panel of the door. (32/38). Is it necessary to do a reset of the TPMS system?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 06:40 PM   #5
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadman50 View Post
I adjusted my tire pressure the other day to be what's on the side panel of the door. (32/38). Is it necessary to do a reset of the TPMS system?
My understanding for you guys who use a tyre/tire stem located pressure sensing transmitter, no you should not have to reset the system. Your TPMS operates directly off the actual pressure in each individual tyre.

In other markets such here in the Australian market where we use an ABS-based system which compares the relative rotation on the four tyres, if you have made a significant adjustment to your tyre pressures - particularly on just one or two tyres - then yes you should reset the system so it has a new reference to work with.

Tony

Last edited by brissim; 03-01-2012 at 06:42 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 08:13 PM   #6
Brutus1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 x3 -Alpine white

My recommended tire pressures on the door frame are 32/35 so I would say your tire pressure is low and that is what your sensor is telling you. After reinflating the tire that is low you should reset the TPMS and your IDrive shows you how to do it-simple.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 09:36 AM   #7
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus1 View Post
My recommended tire pressures on the door frame are 32/35 so I would say your tire pressure is low and that is what your sensor is telling you. After reinflating the tire that is low you should reset the TPMS and your IDrive shows you how to do it-simple.
on my sticker it says 32psi and when i checked, it was above 30 psi on all 4 tires even though it was indicating rear passenger tire. i just wanted to make sure rest of the tires had proper psi and no over the psi range. i will try to get a digital gauge to get more accurate psi
Appreciate 0