BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-22-2022, 03:41 PM   #1
rapatapat
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 / F25

New Owner of a 2012 X3 / List of Upgrades?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I just bought a 2012 X3 yesterday!

I spent several hours yesterday scouring this forum and starting to make a list of stuff I need/want to improve.

Let me know if there's something I should add to this list!

1. Unfortunately, I have the halogen headlights. I wish researched this before buying the car. Seems like a Xenon upgrade will be a nightmare? Not sure if it's still the same situation, as some of the posts here are couple years old. Hoping a local light/audio shop has some experience with this. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

2. There's a parking brake error. I want to try to troubleshoot it myself, so I'm going with BimmerLink with OBDlink to see if it's something I can solve. Never used this product before...so hope it's kinda straight forward.

3. The rims that came on these were pretty ugly. It has 235/55/17 tires. Any suggestions for good rims? Color of the car is Deep Sea Blue.

4. Rear Backup Camera. This thing didn't come with one, and I've gotten pretty used to relying on one. It didn't come with proximity sensors too. Can't believe these weren't standard...even in 2012! I imagine aftermarket proximity sensors might be tricky? Would appreciate any recommendations on backup camera!

That's about it so far. Would love to know if there's something that should be on my radar.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2022, 05:54 PM   #2
Danyal.N55
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 and BMW 7 Series

Garage List
2017 BMW 740i   [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapatapat View Post

I spent several hours yesterday scouring this forum and starting to make a list of stuff I need/want to improve.

1. Unfortunately, I have the halogen headlights. I wish researched this before buying the car. Seems like a Xenon upgrade will be a nightmare? Not sure if it's still the same situation, as some of the posts here are couple years old. Hoping a local light/audio shop has some experience with this. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

2. There's a parking brake error. I want to try to troubleshoot it myself, so I'm going with BimmerLink with OBDlink to see if it's something I can solve. Never used this product before...so hope it's kinda straight forward.

3. The rims that came on these were pretty ugly. It has 235/55/17 tires. Any suggestions for good rims? Color of the car is Deep Sea Blue.

4. Rear Backup Camera. This thing didn't come with one, and I've gotten pretty used to relying on one. It didn't come with proximity sensors too. Can't believe these weren't standard...even in 2012! I imagine aftermarket proximity sensors might be tricky? Would appreciate any recommendations on backup camera!

That's about it so far. Would love to know if there's something that should be on my radar.
Quote:

I have a 2015 X3 28i xDrive and it's got no backup camera, Halogen's, Normal Style 307 rims, not even Comfort Access or Heated Seats (In Texas doesn't really matter) But I'm considering adding a Backup Camera to mine it's about 350+ bucks total from Amazon. If you want a Backup camera **DO NOT** Buy one from BimmerTech it's 700 bucks for the same thing as I found off of Amazon the Bimmertech one is the exact same thing literally. The difference is really nothing for a 300+ Dollar extra charge

Link off of Amazon for the exact one I got: CarlinKit Wireless CarPlay Retrofit kit for BMW 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Series NBT System 2014 to 2016, Support iOS 13 to 15.1, airPlay, Multi-Window Screen, Rear View, Wireless Carplay Box, Wired Android Auto https://a.co/d/2HMTtoN

Tailgaters Black Tailgate Backup Reverse Handle with Camera for BMW X1 X3 X4 X5 F30 F31 F34 F07 F10 F11 F25 F26 E84,530I/536Li/335i/328i/335i/320i/330i/X1/520Li (B= 164x48mm) https://a.co/d/723X7Xg -

Hope this helps!
      10-22-2022, 06:14 PM   #3
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danyal.N55 View Post
**DO NOT** Buy one from BimmerTech it's 700 bucks for the same thing as I found off of Amazon the Bimmertech one is the exact same thing literally. The difference is really nothing for a 300+ Dollar extra charge
Agreed on the BimmerTech ridiculous markup on their "rebranded" products they offer. I guess you're paying for support, but really....

Have you seen their coding options where they'll charge a few $100 to enable some options that you can do yourself with a $15 cable and e-sys or with something like bimmercode and a dongle?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2022, 10:29 PM   #4
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

1. Unfortunately, I have the halogen headlights. I wish researched this before buying the car. Seems like a Xenon upgrade will be a nightmare? Not sure if it's still the same situation, as some of the posts here are couple years old. Hoping a local light/audio shop has some experience with this.
Congrats on the new ride. When I was looking, I wanted a 2011-2012 28i for the inline 6 non turbo, but every vehicle I found was lacking the Xenon lighting option so I passed since many of the back country roads I drive are pitch black so I wanted the best lighting available. I ended up finding a garage queen 35i which all came with Bi-Xenon lighting.

There are some higher lumen Halogen bulbs available to improve the lighting with the stock headlights. Not a night and day difference, but still a nice boost in usable light output. I've used them on several vehicles that take a H7 with great success.
Ultra High Output Vosla (H9 burner on H7 base)
65-watt, 2100-lumen vs the stock 55-watt, 1500 lumen.

Just don't use LED bulbs in those Halogen reflectors
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2022, 02:07 AM   #5
rapatapat
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danyal.N55 View Post
I have a 2015 X3 28i xDrive and it's got no backup camera, Halogen's, Normal Style 307 rims, not even Comfort Access or Heated Seats (In Texas doesn't really matter) But I'm considering adding a Backup Camera to mine it's about 350+ bucks total from Amazon. If you want a Backup camera **DO NOT** Buy one from BimmerTech it's 700 bucks for the same thing as I found off of Amazon the Bimmertech one is the exact same thing literally. The difference is really nothing for a 300+ Dollar extra charge

Link off of Amazon for the exact one I got: CarlinKit Wireless CarPlay Retrofit kit for BMW 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Series NBT System 2014 to 2016, Support iOS 13 to 15.1, airPlay, Multi-Window Screen, Rear View, Wireless Carplay Box, Wired Android Auto https://a.co/d/2HMTtoN

Tailgaters Black Tailgate Backup Reverse Handle with Camera for BMW X1 X3 X4 X5 F30 F31 F34 F07 F10 F11 F25 F26 E84,530I/536Li/335i/328i/335i/320i/330i/X1/520Li (B= 164x48mm) https://a.co/d/723X7Xg -

Hope this helps!
Definitely helps! That's a great tip on Bimmertech and thanks for the links! Not sure if that kit works on my model year, but it's a good lead!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2022, 02:10 AM   #6
rapatapat
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Congrats on the new ride. When I was looking, I wanted a 2011-2012 28i for the inline 6 non turbo, but every vehicle I found was lacking the Xenon lighting option so I passed since many of the back country roads I drive are pitch black so I wanted the best lighting available. I ended up finding a garage queen 35i which all came with Bi-Xenon lighting.

There are some higher lumen Halogen bulbs available to improve the lighting with the stock headlights. Not a night and day difference, but still a nice boost in usable light output. I've used them on several vehicles that take a H7 with great success.
Ultra High Output Vosla (H9 burner on H7 base)
65-watt, 2100-lumen vs the stock 55-watt, 1500 lumen.

Just don't use LED bulbs in those Halogen reflectors

Yeah, I might have to go that way. I'm just surprised cause about 10 years ago, I did a halogen to xenon conversion for my mazda3 at a local shop, and I remember it wasn't so bad for the car. I'm hoping this shouldn't be too complicated for a custom shop!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2022, 08:26 AM   #7
richardodn
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 X3 35iX/'20 440ix cabrio

Depending on what media system/screen you have you would want to look into adding either an aftermarket MultiMedia Interface (MMI) box or a Android based replacement screen. Then you could tie in a backup camera into that.
2020 Estoril Blue 440i xDrive cabrio w/MPPSK - This car is a blast to drive.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 04:01 PM   #8
rapatapat
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardodn View Post
Depending on what media system/screen you have you would want to look into adding either an aftermarket MultiMedia Interface (MMI) box or a Android based replacement screen. Then you could tie in a backup camera into that.
Good point. This is all pretty new to me, but I was looking at this updated display from Autotec.

Have any suggestions for an MMI? Also, I notice these things usually have options for a camera. Do you know if they have options to add parking sensors?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 04:29 PM   #9
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Have any suggestions for an MMI? Also, I notice these things usually have options for a camera. Do you know if they have options to add parking sensors?
Here's some info on MMI
I've been looking at them for my 2011 with CIC.
Appreciate 0