BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-06-2012, 11:40 PM   #1
CaliRubicon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 35i

Has anyone had this problem with oem roof rack?

First time installing BMW oem roof rack on my 2012 x3. I have fitted the rack onto my rails at the appropriate locations. When I tighten them down the drivers side responds fine but the passenger side will not tighten down fully no matter how many times I turn it. The nuts are attached on the inside and I can't seem to figure out why it won't tighten. So I'm hoping that someone here has encountered this since this is the sort of thing that I hate to take to the dealer and have them show me just how simple it is to fix.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 12:20 PM   #2
bluedevils
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 XDrive 35i

When you talk about the nut being attached, do you mean you used the hex key to loosen the nut? It is what I had to do to get the bolt to engage.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 08:34 PM   #3
quincydog
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3

CaliRuicon -did you ever figure this out? I am having the same issue and I am leaving tomorrow on a trip and I can't get this damn rack to tighten. I have used it for over a year but now it is not working.....ugh!!! I tried the allen wrench but no luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 08:20 PM   #4
Brutus1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 x3 -Alpine white

This happened the first time my cross bars were installed and the dealer immediately ordered new ones.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
lateshow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i Space Gray

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Ditto....having the exact same problem. I was going to try to disassemble and figure out what the issue is, but I may see if they dealer will replace them. They are about 10 months old.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 09:09 AM   #6
Bigmanny35
Rep
Drives: Black 2011 35i

Same problem here. The spring on mine actually popped off from using the Allen key.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 03:01 AM   #7
teegee
Rep
Drives: F25 35i

I realize that the last post was back in August last year, but just wondered if you sorted it out?
I had the same problem, but fixed it (hopefully not temporarily) - the manual says that if you get into a situation where you can't tighten down fully, you use an Allen key & turn 1/4 clockwise. This did the trick for me. Hopefully it will stay that way... Hope this helps anyone else with the same problem
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2013, 05:05 PM   #8
daveycrocket
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '13 X3 28i MSport Cbn Blk/Oys

I talked with the dealer this morning for my new X3 I've had for 6 hours and they're still issues with those units.

I decided to spend a little more and currently sitting at Rack Attack having a new Thule base system installed.
      01-09-2013, 05:22 PM   #9
TomBlue
Rep
Drives: X3 35i

Roof Rails

I am having problems too. I ordered the rails and when I installed the front bar I noticed the spring on the right side nut was already broken. I called the service department and the person who took the call put the receiver down to talk with the parts manager. I heard the conversation, which the parts manager said he wished BMW would stop selling them. They are nothing but trouble. They sent me another set and when I tried putting them on, the spring broke on the left side! I'm taking both sets back to the dealership tomorrow and demanding my money back. I'll order some after market rails. They may not look as good but at least they'll work.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 07:58 AM   #10
jsbos
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 28i

Not sure if this is the issue but in the instructions for the rack it says if you turn the tightener/loosener too far to the left you will need to use an allen wrench to tighten it enough to use it as intended. I've got a 2012 and had a similar issue with tightening. Once I followed the above direction all was in good working order. I've had to do this a couple of times.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 04:33 PM   #11
daveycrocket
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '13 X3 28i MSport Cbn Blk/Oys

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBlue View Post
They may not look as good but at least they'll work.
I don't think the Thule looks bad at all and very much the same foot as BMW. Additionally I got the Aero cross bars and are much quieter due to their design.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
      01-10-2013, 06:36 PM   #12
TomBlue
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbos View Post
Not sure if this is the issue but in the instructions for the rack it says if you turn the tightener/loosener too far to the left you will need to use an allen wrench to tighten it enough to use it as intended. I've got a 2012 and had a similar issue with tightening. Once I followed the above direction all was in good working order. I've had to do this a couple of times.
I followed the directions step by step. Once clamped down the cover would not engage far enough to lock. I tried turning one quarter turn with a 5 mm hex wrench. My question is, why does one need to travel with tools to be able to operate something as simple as cross rails?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 10:40 AM   #13
TomBlue
Rep

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveycrocket View Post
I don't think the Thule looks bad at all and very much the same foot as BMW. Additionally I got the Aero cross bars and are much quieter due to their design.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Thanks Davy, I took my racks back to the dealership and ordered the Thule AeroBlade system. They look better and the reviews for the most part are positive.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 04:40 PM   #14
TomBlue
Rep

The Thule's came in yesterday and I placed them on the X3 with no problems. Now I can go back to loving my X3 and watching Portlandia.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 09:13 AM   #15
JDBorges187
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by teegee View Post
I realize that the last post was back in August last year, but just wondered if you sorted it out?
I had the same problem, but fixed it (hopefully not temporarily) - the manual says that if you get into a situation where you can't tighten down fully, you use an Allen key & turn 1/4 clockwise. This did the trick for me. Hopefully it will stay that way... Hope this helps anyone else with the same problem
I have to say, buying my bike rack on eBay and not getting the instructions made it virtually impossible to realize what I did wrong. I searched and searched and found endless threads with people who just gave up. TeeGee's advice helped me tremendously. So for anyone that runs into this issue in the future. If when tightening the rack you feel tension and spring loaded mechanism clicking, the screw and the handle are "stuck" and turning the 5mm hex with an Allen key in the clockwise (tightening) direction unsticks them. And then then the handle spins smoothly. I was an hour into trying different things until I read the above and finished the install in 5 mins.

Thank you Teegee.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 09:23 AM   #16
ponti33609
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 x3 35i

Garage List
2014 BMW/X3 35i  [0.00]

No issues at all with the Thule. I needed the square bars for my Yakima tandem rack. Ugly but rock solid attachment.
      07-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #17
DonC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 3.5i M sport, etc

I also went to Rack Attack in Portland...
2018 i3S
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2013, 07:04 PM   #18
1AWSMG
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 XDrive35i

Anyone look at the Thule Aeroblade Edge? I really like the look online but it's a newer system and not much feedback out there yet. Thanks for any info!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #19
wsloneker
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw X3

roof rack removal problems

when I tried to remove the rack, two of the four would not turn counterclockwise to loosen the clamps to remove the rack with the rooftop storage unit. The dealer said it was broken, is supplying another, but seems ignorant of what seems to be a relatively common occurrence.

do new racks have different mechanism design?

The replacement looks just like the broken one, so am I just going to repeat my problem?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 09:42 PM   #20
Edge2112
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 28i

Mine are even worse. I blagged them for free from the SP at purchase in order to clinch the deal, and he fitted them for me when they arrived.
One of the legs has the Allen bolt protruding from its housing, and it'll only undo half way. Fortunately it's far enough to still be able to lever that leg onto the rails.
Took them back to the dealer's service centre to complain and they fobbed me off saying they'd "fixed" them i.e. refitted them with no change.
I'm fairly certain they were a customer return, and as I have no sales receipt I have no recourse.
Oh well, you get what you pay for...
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 06:05 AM   #21
Pchsu
Rep
Drives: F25 35i

Is it on your purchase order? If it is, then you are ok.
The reasons why I went with the oem racks were:
1. Two years manufacture warranty
2. They were 50% off brand new at a dealer when I bought them!

Keeping my fingers crossed but so far my roof racks have been functioning just fine. I only put them on when I need them.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 11:22 AM   #22
wsloneker
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw X3

x 3 roof cross bars included parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pchsu View Post
Is it on your purchase order? If it is, then you are ok.
The reasons why I went with the oem racks were:
1. Two years manufacture warranty
2. They were 50% off brand new at a dealer when I bought them!

Keeping my fingers crossed but so far my roof racks have been functioning just fine. I only put them on when I need them.
Does an allen wrench come with the cross bars?
Appreciate 0