BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-05-2016, 09:35 AM   #1
gglez
Registered
Spain
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 2011

FOB key doesn´t work after car washing

Hi all,
I have detected sometimes that, after washing my F25 2011 with a high pressure water gun, my FOB key doesn´t work. I can’t unlock my car with the FOB key. The only way to enter into the car is using the standar key to open the driver’s door. Then, when I try to star the car, it doesn´t work because the car doesn´t detect my FOB key. I hear the dong sound. Then, as you know, the only way to start the engine is putting the FOB key close to the steering wheel and push the star button again.

I have checked the FOB key batteries and were OK. However, I changed the batteries but it didn´t resolve the problem. I did it with both FOB keys.
I have noticed several times this fault, and after a week or more days the FOB key starts working again doing nothing, so my conclusion is something related to water, that it evaporates over time.

So, I have considered that the problem is not the FOB key and that the problem is with the Central Locking System (I don’t know if it is the correct name) module or antenna. I think that some water can touch the system or the antenna (if there is one) and for this reason the signal is not received by the system module.

I am surfing on the internet trying to find where those wet or damp parts are in the car in order to take a look and check if they are really wet or damp, but I have not been successful.
Anybody knows where is the module that receives the FOB key signal?

Any suggestion or help will be welcoming.
Thanks!
Guillermo

Last edited by gglez; 12-05-2016 at 09:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 10:25 AM   #2
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
i wonder where that module is located on the car if its getting water and interfering with signal.

but once your in the car you still have issue starting the car so it maybe something else

maybe the keys needs to be reprogram
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 12:11 AM   #3
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

Rule no:1, never use high pressure washing car.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 08:44 PM   #4
hoho_leung
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3

May I ask why no high pressure washing? If you don't wash by yourself, you go to shop and they all use pressure washing in the U.S. I forgot what psi you cannot go beyond, but I think it is safe in general.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 12:42 AM   #5
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

hoho, there are high pressure and there are high pressure.

Nozzles in a car wash is at a "safe distance" and has limited pressure.

A high pressure water gun has - typically - higher pressure and is normally used at a shorter distance - to improve dirt removel. Then there is a risk for sealings and other sensitive parts - e.g. sensors, to be affected.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2017, 11:10 AM   #6
gglez
Registered
Spain
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 2011

Hi all,

I was with the same problem weeks ago, so, after look into reading forums I decided to replace de Diversity Antenna Module, because it was the most common issue I had read. I bought a second-hand one via internet. I replace it but, no lucky. The problem persists, it is the same.

First question: Do I have to configure something after replacing the module or it is transparent (plug&play)?

Secondly, now I am thinking about the fuses. Maybe an electrical surge caused a fuse/es to blow? I got the fuses scheme (box 1 / box 2) but I am not able to determine which one/ones I have to check, because I am not keen on or sure about the meanings of the pictures. Anybody can help me with this?

Any other hint about the problem will be appreciated very much.

Thanks for reading.
GG
Appreciate 0