BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-04-2016, 01:06 PM   #23
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRJ17 View Post
Hello, I've recently took delivery of a new X3 MSport 2016 and its a fantastic car, however it has 20 inch wheels with Pirelli P zero run flat tyres (which I've never had before) and you can feel every imperfection in the road. Whilst I appreciate it has sports suspension the ride quality is not great as you feel every bump. I'm considering changing to non flats, will this improve the ride?

Please let me know if you have had a similar experience and the non run flats helped? Along with a tyre repair kit.

Thanks
Yes it will improve the ride enormously. I was a die hard with run flats on my X3 xDrive30d MSport, but after having a puncture on one of my Run Flats, I bit the bullet and went to the equivalent BMW * rated Pirelli P Zero NON Run Flats all round. It was a far more subtle rid with less tramlining with a more pleasurable ride.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 05:40 PM   #24
SleekX3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 M Package

I purchased the tire insurance. I went through one tire already with a nail in it. No blowouts, just mostly nails affected me in the past with me owning a previous 335I. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 10:49 AM   #25
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 / F32

Well, I've just had an interesting discussion with my local dealer about changing from runflats to standard tyres! They reckon that my alloys are designed to take runflats and that sticking standard tyres on them wouldn't be advised. They said there is a small chance they could pop off at any time causing sudden loss of air!
This is the first time I've heard of this, especially when some of you guys have already gone ahead and had this done.
I have an msport with the standard UK 19" alloys.

I'm wondering whether they aren't interested in doing the work?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 01:46 PM   #26
Kugaman1
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 m sport plus

Ive never heard such cobblers in my life.
There really are some idiotic dealerships out there!

With BMW you think you are getting a premium service...ha!

My local dealer in Aberdeen makes me laugh........

1. Bought a year old 120d M Sport from them and negotiated all new tyres as part of the deal. Had to go back 3 times with wheel wobble issues.....on the 3rd time threatened court action unless they sorted it.......senior mechanic was given the job of sorting it. After 30 mins he found me and was embarrassed to tell me that the new tyres had been fitted by an apprentice and he hadnt rebalanced the wheels as he noticed they already had wheel weights on them!!!!!!

2. Same dealer.....bought a brand new M135i from them. For some unknown reason, they decided to spec runflat tyres on it. Furiously told them there was no way I would take the car with runflats, so they fitted Michelin pilot supersports, tyres that the car was designed to have.........
After owning the car for several weeks, wasnt happy with the cars handling in the wet......took it back to them to find all the tyres had been fitted backwards!

So in summary, dont believe your dealer, some of them dont have a clue when it comes to tyres and they just scaremonger to make you buy RFTs.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 02:38 PM   #27
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

That was my thoughts exactly, I couldn't believe what I was hearing to be honest. I rang BMW to try and get their feedback, but they didn't have a clue! As you say, I get the feeling they just want you to buy runflats.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 05:10 PM   #28
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PX3 View Post
That was my thoughts exactly, I couldn't believe what I was hearing to be honest. I rang BMW to try and get their feedback, but they didn't have a clue! As you say, I get the feeling they just want you to buy runflats.
Agreed. Certain dealers actively encourage changing to non runflats. In fact I know of one dealer who gives the option to do it on delivery. There is one UK guy present on this forum who had his X3 delivered with non runflat tyres.

I fitted non runflats to my 19" staggered set up last year and I am really pleased with the ride and handling.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2017, 05:37 PM   #29
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Quote:
Well, I've just had an interesting discussion with my local dealer about changing from runflats to standard tyres! They reckon that my alloys are designed to take runflats and that sticking standard tyres on them wouldn't be advised. They said there is a small chance they could pop off at any time causing sudden loss of air!
This is the first time I've heard of this, especially when some of you guys have already gone ahead and had this done.
I have an msport with the standard UK 19" alloys.

I'm wondering whether they aren't interested in doing the work?
As others have said absolute rubbish. Yes its true the wheels/rim are designed for runflat tyres. The rim is designed to hold on to the runflat to stop it coming off the rim when the tyre is flat. But there is absolutely no problems with fitting conventional runflat tyres to these rims. I switched out the runflats for non-runflats 5.5 years and 120,000 km ago and no problems. When I took delivery of my car in 2011, I drove straight from the BMW dealer to a local tyre retailer to swap out the tyres. The tyre retailer had been recommended to me by my BMW salesperson.

What doesn't work is the other way around - ie you can't replace conventional tyres with runflats unless the rims are specially designed to take runflats.

Very disappointed that this sort of nonsense - or dare I say "alternative facts" - are still being put about these days.

Tony
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2017, 05:59 PM   #30
Greg2010
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X1 sDrive28i

I've replaced my Goodyear RFTs with Michelin RFTs. Never had any issues, ride quality has been very smooth, great handling, long tread wear, low noise....WHEN COMBINED with MSport and DHP.

I actually had nail punctures in two tires recently...and was able to drive on both of them while replacement RFTs were being delivered (free replacements from Tire Rack, since they came with free tire road-hazard warrantee and BMW advises to replace rather than repair).

SOLD - 2013 X3 35i l BSM l MSport l DHP l Premium l Sound l Tech l CW/CWII l Apps l 35% Tint

SOLD - 2010 E92 335 X-drive l BSM l MSport l Steptronic l Premium l CW l Logic 7 l Confort l Nav l KW-V1s l 35% Tint
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 12:47 AM   #31
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

There seem to be an overwhelming opinion FOR non-RFT:s, but everyone to his belief.

RFT:s were developed for the US, to avoid people getting stuck in a "bad area" (source: GM and Michelin - straight from the horses mouth).

That is still valid, and for those who think this is more important than drawbacks, I believe they are entitled to their opinion.

What is NOT OK, is the "alternative facts" spread by some BMW dealers- and also the INFO, that in Germany RFT:s are optional - not so in Sweden .
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 12:52 PM   #32
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Well I tried to contact another dealer today, but still waiting for them to call me back.
I found somewhere online who sells 369M alloys with......Yes, you guessed it, standard tyres.
http://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/bmw_alloy_wheels/x3_f25_alloys/19_bmw_369m_wheel_2328
So I can't imagine they would be selling them in that combination if it wasn't safe.

I will continue my search over the weekend and then contact my local dealer again to argue the case.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 03:03 PM   #33
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Well I tried to contact another dealer today, but still waiting for them to call me back.
I found somewhere online who sells 369M alloys with......Yes, you guessed it, standard tyres.
http://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/bmw...69m_wheel_2328
So I can't imagine they would be selling them in that combination if it wasn't safe.

I will continue my search over the weekend and then contact my local dealer again to argue the case.
IT IS SAFE! alloywheelsdirect.net is in Wegberg in Germany. They have an Oxford telephone number (that is not used). They purchase directly from the supplier and always repeat always quote for tyre/wheel combinations that are given as safe by the manufacturer. Not just BMW if you look at their site. I purchased a set of tyres/wheels from them in 2015.

If the you want the best advice go to black circles in Scotland.
http://www.blackcircles.com/order/tyres/search
Just ring them,get the options, make your choice and have them sent to the DEALER OF YOUR choice. They make the appointment and you just arrive at the allocated time and that is it. I had my fitted by ATS Oxford in July last year.

Black Circles are considered one of the cheapest and of course they sell branded tyres. I understand the company is owned by Michelin.

Why on earth are you going to argue the case?

Last edited by Peter_R; 02-04-2017 at 03:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 04:39 PM   #34
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
IT IS SAFE! alloywheelsdirect.net is in Wegberg in Germany. They have an Oxford telephone number (that is not used). They purchase directly from the supplier and always repeat always quote for tyre/wheel combinations that are given as safe by the manufacturer. Not just BMW if you look at their site. I purchased a set of tyres/wheels from them in 2015.

If the you want the best advice go to black circles in Scotland.
http://www.blackcircles.com/order/tyres/search
Just ring them,get the options, make your choice and have them sent to the DEALER OF YOUR choice. They make the appointment and you just arrive at the allocated time and that is it. I had my fitted by ATS Oxford in July last year.

Black Circles are considered one of the cheapest and of course they sell branded tyres. I understand the company is owned by Michelin.

Why on earth are you going to argue the case?

I would go with Black circles, but I am limited to who I can use in the local area and this was the reason I went back to my local BMW dealer. I would like to point out to them that they are wrong, rather than just walk away. I get so fed up with dealers handing out incorrect information!
As you suggest, I will contact Blackcircles and see if they can recommend a good local fitter. I checked reviews of my local ATS and unfortunately they weren't great.
I'll get there in the end. Thanks.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2017, 05:09 PM   #35
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Found two premier garages (Blackcircles) nearby, both look promising and not bad at £693.
I also read an interesting article online about Michelin buying BC for 50 million in 2015.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2017, 09:22 PM   #36
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Found two premier garages (Blackcircles) nearby, both look promising and not bad at £693.
I also read an interesting article online about Michelin buying BC for 50 million in 2015.
You do realise that you need to talk to Black Circles directly to make sure the list they are using is up to date for your area?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 01:52 AM   #37
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
You do realise that you need to talk to Black Circles directly to make sure the list they are using is up to date for your area?
Yes, I will be contacting them today or tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 09:38 AM   #38
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjalle View Post
There seem to be an overwhelming opinion FOR non-RFT:s, but everyone to his belief.

RFT:s were developed for the US, to avoid people getting stuck in a "bad area" (source: GM and Michelin - straight from the horses mouth).

That is still valid, and for those who think this is more important than drawbacks, I believe they are entitled to their opinion.
A recent comment by Mike Miller, technical editor of the Roundel Magazine of the BMW Car Club of America, provides another perspective. In the Tech Talk section of the February 2017 issue of Roundel, Mike Miller replied to an inquiry regarding replacement of OEM run-flat tires in part as follows:
"If you like the tires you have now, I would strongly recommend buying the exact same tires again, no matter what the Internet people say. They are proven performers for you, on your car, the way you drive. As for run-flat mythology, much of it is based on the the first run-flats that appeared at the turn of the Millennium; each generation has been an improvement, to the point where even our disgruntled editor genuinely prefers them."

Contrast this with the comment in BMWblog made by Mike Miller in 2010.
"Unless you live where a flat tire would endanger your life (in which case you should consider moving) ditch the run-flat tires in favor of normal tires, and get a donut spare and a jacking kit. The car will handle and ride much better with normal summer performance tires."

http://www.bmwblog.com/2010/10/18/in...mmer-magazine/

As always, others may have a different experience and strongly held opinion.

Last edited by MichiganMike; 02-05-2017 at 09:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 08:48 AM   #39
ouengineer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 335xi, 97 Silvia

In 15 years of driving, I've only had a few flat tires (I only specifically remember the two that happened in the last decade). Each one could have been repaired with a patch and pump kit on the side of the road though, and only one was bad enough to almost leave me stranded. Now that I have a pump and patch kit in the car, I'll be replacing the stock RFT's soon and putting them back on when it is time to sell the car. The tires themselves are fine, but I'd rather have better. Now that they have 10k miles on them, they are at that point where they still have good tread and have been used some but would be more valuable down the road as a tire to throw on the car before selling.