BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-19-2011, 07:59 PM   #1
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Dynamic Comfort Package - Can.

The Dynamic Comfort Package is a $1500 option on the X3 in Canada. This sounds like a reasonable deal if I understand the components correctly.

This Package includes:
  • Dynamic Damper Control - (DDC)
  • Performance Control - (PC)

DDC is similar to GM's MagneRide technology where the shocks adjust to the road surface (but without the magnetic fluid in the GM product).

DCC can be adjusted from a console switch from normal --> sport --> sport + with the normal damper mode being softer than the stock suspension, sport damper mode the same/similar to the stock damper tuning and sport + mode being firmer than stock.

When selecting sport or sport+, DCC also triggers the transmission to go into Drive Sport (DS). This feature/option can defeated by settings using the BMW iDrive.

The transmission can then be shifted into DS mode by moving the gear selector to the left regardless of the DCC mode selected.

PC is similar to Acura's Super Handling all wheel drive whereby the outside wheels turn faster than the inside wheels to help the vehicle rotate around a corner.

PC uses the breaks to distribute the power to the outside wheels when cornering.

I know these acronyms have been discussed a million times before but like others have said, BMW have done a terrible job marketing the different packages and options (not to mention using different terminology for the same hardware in different markets).
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 09:35 PM   #2
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F97/Q5/982 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
The Dynamic Comfort Package is a $1500 option on the X3 in Canada. This sounds like a reasonable deal if I understand the components correctly.

This Package includes:
  • Dynamic Damper Control - (DDC)
  • Performance Control - (PC)

DDC is similar to GM's MagneRide technology where the shocks adjust to the road surface (but without the magnetic fluid in the GM product).

DCC can be adjusted from a console switch from normal --> sport --> sport + with the normal damper mode being softer than the stock suspension, sport damper mode the same/similar to the stock damper tuning and sport + mode being firmer than stock.

When selecting sport or sport+, DCC also triggers the transmission to go into Drive Sport (DS). This feature/option can defeated by settings using the BMW iDrive.

The transmission can then be shifted into DS mode by moving the gear selector to the left regardless of the DCC mode selected.

PC is similar to Acura's Super Handling all wheel drive whereby the outside wheels turn faster than the inside wheels to help the vehicle rotate around a corner.

PC uses the breaks to distribute the power to the outside wheels when cornering.

I know these acronyms have been discussed a million times before but like others have said, BMW have done a terrible job marketing the different packages and options (not to mention using different terminology for the same hardware in different markets).
This is also my understanding. I ordered my X3 initially without this option but tonight I went back and added it. It does make a big difference. I think $1500 is reasonable. I haven't settled on the final pricing yet but will most likely do so tomorrow. Did you get a deal for it? What other packages/options do you have?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 10:58 PM   #3
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

I'm planning on ordering in the new year.

35i
Alpine white/ black leatherette/ wave brown trim
Tech package
Dynamic Comfort Package
Panorama roof
Satin roof rails
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 11:58 PM   #4
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F97/Q5/982 GT4

Quote:
I'm planning on ordering in the new year.

35i
Alpine white/ black leatherette/ wave brown trim
Tech package
Dynamic Comfort Package
Panorama roof
Satin roof rails
Great color choice. How much are taxes?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 01:10 AM   #5
paul386
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i Jet Black

The X3 does not dynamically (actively) adjust to road surfaces with the dynamic dampers. It is just 2 finite settings. Normal and Sport.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 01:50 AM   #6
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul386 View Post
The X3 does not dynamically (actively) adjust to road surfaces with the dynamic dampers. It is just 2 finite settings. Normal and Sport.
Really? It does on UK specs:

Quote:
Variable Damper Control uses data collected by sensors throughout the BMX X3: each second, it gathers thousands of readings about the position of the steering wheel, the strength of lateral forces, wheel rotation speeds and much more. The system calculates the best possible setting for each individual wheel and continually adjusts its suspension accordingly.
http://www.bmw.co.uk/specials/x3_201...trol.html#more

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 06:30 AM   #7
RichardBR
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 30D Msport DSB

Quote:
There's an extra setting now. In my new X3 that will be delivered in March, I also get the Eco Pro mode. The same you'll find in the new 1 series.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 06:40 AM   #8
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I drove a new 1 series with the Eco setting last week. Awful in Eco mode.
      12-20-2011, 06:46 AM   #9
RichardBR
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem2 View Post
I drove a new 1 series with the Eco setting last week. Awful in Eco mode.
Please share, how is it awful? Slow? Miss half the power?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 08:19 AM   #10
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Donno where you got that info Paul.

See below...

Quote:
Attached Images

Last edited by lbjgh; 12-20-2011 at 08:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 08:56 AM   #11
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:

See below...

always wanted to use those two smilies together

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 09:00 AM   #12
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardBR View Post
Please share, how is it awful? Slow? Miss half the power?
Just horribly unresponsive, I can live with "normal" which is the default. Sport is so much better but if you seriously want to save fuel then Eco will do it. Having fun use more fuel, there's no way around this.
      12-20-2011, 09:24 AM   #13
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

hehe, ya ya , you got in there first with the info but from a UK site not the Canuck site... plus we don't get 'variable damper control' I noticed Paul is from the USA.

I specifically noted the Canadian reference because BMW tends to offer different appointment in different markets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post

always wanted to use those two smilies together
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 10:59 AM   #14
paul386
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Quote:

See below...
I stand corrected. Very interesting. BMW USA doesn't do a good job advertising this feature.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 04:40 PM   #15
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

So I guess we're going to have to do this again.

Ordering the Sports Activity Package alone on a 35i offers driver selectable damper controls via the Normal and Sport buttons; two chassis settings (Normal and Sport) and two drivetrain settings (Normal and Sport). Where Sport is customizable between drivetrain only, chassis only, or both, Sport+ automatically activates both Sport chassis and Sport drivetrain and DTC (Dynamic Traction Control). With only the Sports Activity, DTC increases traction on variable or loose surfaces but decreases overall driving stability as speed increases. DTC deactivates some of the assists that are present in the car's stability control system (DSC), allowing the wheels to spin more freely which can help you get out of some deep snow, for example. You can activate DTC in any mode you want, which is why DTC is standard even if your car does not come with a rocker switch. Because DTC allows for a less active assist threshold, it is automatically tied to Sport+ mode to increase fun and involvement in more spirited driving.

If you order the M-Sport Package alone, you get everything the Sports Activity Package offers AND Performance Control, which is essentially a continuously variable rear axle that can transfer 90% of the power to the rear wheels, simulating some of the more spirited driving characteristics of a rear wheel drive car. This is most present when Sport+ is selected because DTC is then automatically activated.

NEITHER THE M-SPORT PACKAGE NOR SPORTS ACTIVITY PACKAGE COME WITH ACTIVE DAMPERS.

If you order the Dynamic Handling Package (or Dynamic Comfort Package if you're from Canada) in conjunction with either the Sports Activity or M-sport Package, not only are the damper settings driver selectable, but in each of the two selectable damper (chassis) modes (Normal and Sport), the car's computer (get ready for a bunch of annoying BMW lingo) actively variates the damper stiffness based on steering inputs and road conditions/imperfections to offer a more compliant ride. The computer recognizes when Normal or Sport chassis modes have been selected and responds to the road differently in both.

Notice that the M-Sport Package comes with Performance Control already, so the cost of the Dynamic Handling/Comfort Package is higher than it should be if you spec the car with the M-Sport Package.

A screenshot is provided with the contents of the Dynamic Handling/Comfort Package from the BMWUSA BYO tool, which is the most updated in terms of package contents and availability.

This answer does not apply to the 28i, but I do know that if the Dynamic Handling/Comfort Package is not spec'd on a 28i, there will be no rocker switch whatsoever, no matter if you spec'd the Sports Activity or M-Sport package. You must order the Dynamic Handling/Comfort Package on a 28i if you want the rocker switch at all, as far as I am aware.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 09:24 PM   #16
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

There is no Sports Activity Package offered in Canada and I'm not interested in the M-sport as it offers no performance advantage... just lipstick IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
So I guess we're going to have to do this again.

Ordering the Sports Activity Package alone on a 35i offers driver selectable damper controls via the Normal and Sport buttons; two chassis settings (Normal and Sport) and two drivetrain settings (Normal and Sport). Where Sport is customizable between drivetrain only, chassis only, or both, Sport+ automatically activates both Sport chassis and Sport drivetrain and DTC (Dynamic Traction Control). With only the Sports Activity, DTC increases traction on variable or loose surfaces but decreases overall driving stability as speed increases. DTC deactivates some of the assists that are present in the car's stability control system (DSC), allowing the wheels to spin more freely which can help you get out of some deep snow, for example. You can activate DTC in any mode you want, which is why DTC is standard even if your car does not come with a rocker switch. Because DTC allows for a less active assist threshold, it is automatically tied to Sport+ mode to increase fun and involvement in more spirited driving.

If you order the M-Sport Package alone, you get everything the Sports Activity Package offers AND Performance Control, which is essentially a continuously variable rear axle that can transfer 90% of the power to the rear wheels, simulating some of the more spirited driving characteristics of a rear wheel drive car. This is most present when Sport+ is selected because DTC is then automatically activated.

NEITHER THE M-SPORT PACKAGE NOR SPORTS ACTIVITY PACKAGE COME WITH ACTIVE DAMPERS.

If you order the Dynamic Handling Package (or Dynamic Comfort Package if you're from Canada) in conjunction with either the Sports Activity or M-sport Package, not only are the damper settings driver selectable, but in each of the two selectable damper (chassis) modes (Normal and Sport), the car's computer (get ready for a bunch of annoying BMW lingo) actively variates the damper stiffness based on steering inputs and road conditions/imperfections to offer a more compliant ride. The computer recognizes when Normal or Sport chassis modes have been selected and responds to the road differently in both.

Notice that the M-Sport Package comes with Performance Control already, so the cost of the Dynamic Handling/Comfort Package is higher than it should be if you spec the car with the M-Sport Package.

A screenshot is provided with the contents of the Dynamic Handling/Comfort Package from the BMWUSA BYO tool, which is the most updated in terms of package contents and availability.

This answer does not apply to the 28i, but I do know that if the Dynamic Handling/Comfort Package is not spec'd on a 28i, there will be no rocker switch whatsoever, no matter if you spec'd the Sports Activity or M-Sport package. You must order the Dynamic Handling/Comfort Package on a 28i if you want the rocker switch at all, as far as I am aware.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 10:24 PM   #17
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardBR View Post
There's an extra setting now. In my new X3 that will be delivered in March, I also get the Eco Pro mode. The same you'll find in the new 1 series.
Am curious, which month will your production be?. I would not mind the eco mode if it exists,
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 01:17 AM   #18
RichardBR
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
Am curious, which month will your production be?. I would not mind the eco mode if it exists,
They told me February. Haven't got the exact week no. yet...
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 01:28 AM   #19
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:

To clarify, DS and Drivetrain Sport or Sport+ are entirely different things. DS is just moving the shift lever over, but Drivetrain Sport and Sport+ offer quicker shift timing, lower gears held longer, and increased throttle response. DS does not do all of that. It does change how long gears are held and throttle response marginally, but not to the degree of Drivetrain Sport and Sport+.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 08:13 PM   #20
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Thanks for that clarrification juddholland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
To clarify, DS and Drivetrain Sport or Sport+ are entirely different things. DS is just moving the shift lever over, but Drivetrain Sport and Sport+ offer quicker shift timing, lower gears held longer, and increased throttle response. DS does not do all of that. It does change how long gears are held and throttle response marginally, but not to the degree of Drivetrain Sport and Sport+.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 08:28 PM   #21
AspiringBMWOwner
Rep
Drives: X3 35i

Quote:
There is no Sports Activity Package offered in Canada and I'm not interested in the M-sport as it offers no performance advantage... just lipstick IMO.

Don't get too hung up on the dampening system. BMW's suspension is more than adequate. Plus in Canada the dampers are not available to add if you purchase the M-Sport package (BMW's lovely packaging system, :P) The M-Sport offers a more aesthetically pleasing appearance. It remedies that cheap black rubber used around the wheel wells and bumper.

Lets put it in perspective, these are BMW's; they are fantastic handling vehicles with great driver feedback.

Last edited by AspiringBMWOwner; 12-21-2011 at 09:39 PM.. Reason: Error
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 09:36 PM   #22
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
The MSport package includes the great sports seats, only way to get them in Canada; and worth the price of admission alone IMO.

I much prefer the looks of the MSport package over the regular X3, and IMO is much more than just "lipstick". Whatever turns your crank tho.