BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-21-2017, 02:45 PM   #1
zhoudaniell
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 x3

sending google maps to car?

Has anyone successfully setup the linkage from the google maps "send to car" functionality and their x3? I set it up previously, but have never actually received directions in my car.

Additionally, has anyone found a way to integrate google maps into their bmw, without just having the directions on your phone and voice over speakers?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 05:16 PM   #2
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhoudaniell View Post
Has anyone successfully setup the linkage from the google maps "send to car" functionality and their x3? I set it up previously, but have never actually received directions in my car.
Yes. It works well in the UK.

1. In the UK, if you are within the first 3 years of owners ship or after that have paid for the BMW online facility subscription for another year, then you follow the next paragraph. In other words the BMW online facility must be active and visible in your car's iDrive. Again some countries are different, so you will need to talk to BMW USA.

2. Login into the ConnectedDrive website portal in the US. In the UK it is....
https://www.bmw-connecteddrive.co.uk...x.html#/portal

3. Go into Google maps and set from where you wish to start your journey from, followed by your destination.

4. Send directions to your Phone. The first time you try this, your car will not be on the list that comes up. This is where you set up your GPS or car.

Note. There are variations on this, but I had have been doing this for many years until recently when my BMW online subscription had lapsed. As soon as I paid for another year it worked immediately.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 05:18 PM   #3
dchamero
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3

Garage List
I do it all the time in my 2013 X3, but you have to have an active connecteddrive account and subscription for it to work.

Then on the computer, when you search for an address, on the SEND TO YOUR PHONE link, you should have an option for your X3 there. And in your car, you will receive it as a message.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 05:31 PM   #4
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchamero View Post
Then on the computer, when you search for an address, on the SEND TO YOUR PHONE link, you should have an option for your X3 there. And in your car, you will receive it as a message.
The very first time the user does it (send to phone), he/she will need to tell the PC about their vehicle. The car's make is selected from a drop down list that is presented, followed by the requirement to enter the vehicle's registration number, otherwise the google mapping system does not know where to send the data.

I have had to do this very recently on my latest new laptop and my latest home built PC.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium

Last edited by Peter_R; 06-22-2017 at 02:50 AM..
Appreciate 0