BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-09-2017, 05:22 PM   #1
mitch32
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 ZCP

Steering Angle Sensor 6E3D Error, how to fix?

I took a look at a friends X3 and its been giving a 6E3D error (along with a 4x4 light on the dash), I reset the steering sensor in INPA (through the DTC module) and it goes away until I drive the car. I've searched high and low, it doesn't seem that its a common problem, but I'm not sure what to do. I can replace the steering sensor but I'm not sure that is the issue. I seems as soon as I start the car and rotate the steering wheel that's when the error comes back again. I want to say its the SAS but the question is that when the car is off I can turn the steering wheel and it registers an angle. If the car is on I can turn the steering wheel quickly and thats when the error comes back on.

Last edited by mitch32; 07-10-2017 at 09:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 02:14 PM   #2
DBU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4MC - Marina Bay Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch32 View Post
I took a look at a friends X3 and its been giving a 6E3D error (along with a 4x4 light on the dash), I reset the steering sensor in INPA (through the DTC module) and it goes away until I drive the car. I've searched high and low, it doesn't seem that its a common problem, but I'm not sure what to do. I can replace the steering sensor but I'm not sure that is the issue. I seems as soon as I start the car and rotate the steering wheel that's when the error comes back again. I want to say its the SAS but the question is that when the car is off I can turn the steering wheel and it registers an angle. If the car is on I can turn the steering wheel quickly and thats when the error comes back on.
Classic Transfer Case failure. Search for it - and don't bother with the steering angle sensor.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 12:15 PM   #3
mitch32
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBU View Post
Classic Transfer Case failure. Search for it - and don't bother with the steering angle sensor.
Some threads mention just the motor is the issue and BMW actually sells a motor rebuild kit.

The question I have is even if the engine is off (ignition being on though) if I turn the steering 'left to right' or 'right to left' it'll throw the code, would the transfer case throw that code even if the engine is off?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 01:25 PM   #4
DBU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4MC - Marina Bay Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch32 View Post
Some threads mention just the motor is the issue and BMW actually sells a motor rebuild kit.

The question I have is even if the engine is off (ignition being on though) if I turn the steering 'left to right' or 'right to left' it'll throw the code, would the transfer case throw that code even if the engine is off?
When I stated "classic transfer case failure" I was mostly looking at that code AND the lights on the instrument panel that you mentioned.

I do see your point re engine off and car throwing the code, though.

You could try and disconnect the electrical connection to the transfer box and drive the car. It is safe to do so, but you would be in a 100% rear-wheel drive vehicle. My indie mechanic did just that to isolate the problem (knocking noise at slow turns) and concluded I had a bad transfer case.
Appreciate 0