BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-04-2014, 11:45 AM   #23
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Month ago I called Nokian
They said the wra3 in warehouse were likely a couple years old. They said wra3 are rated as all weather despite Nokiantyres.Com stating they are winter tire and not recommended as all year use.
The North American Nokiantires.Com site does not even list the wra3.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 10:38 AM   #24
Dreamboy
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona View Post
Month ago I called Nokian
They said the wra3 in warehouse were likely a couple years old. They said wra3 are rated as all weather despite Nokiantyres.Com stating they are winter tire and not recommended as all year use.
The North American Nokiantires.Com site does not even list the wra3.
Thanks Barcelona.

I am calling the dealer today to ask if he can get the dates on these tires.

I have read a few reviews from people in Europe running the tires year long, but the summer in North America may be warmer than Europe and not sure if these tires can be used all year.

Do you have other suggestions for all-season RFT tires?

My tire size is 245/50/R18.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 12:29 PM   #25
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamboy View Post
Thanks Barcelona.

I am calling the dealer today to ask if he can get the dates on these tires.

I have read a few reviews from people in Europe running the tires year long, but the summer in North America may be warmer than Europe and not sure if these tires can be used all year.

Do you have other suggestions for all-season RFT tires?

My tire size is 245/50/R18.

Thanks.
Your welcome, I just got the 245/50/R18 Hakka2 RFT ( mfg 0814 Finland) installed today, $1966 tax in, same price as WRA3. I initially wanted and preferred the wra3, but 2-3 yr a factor. Biggest issue was availability and waiting. My GY LS2 a/s is same size. My short term b/up would be the a/s in event Hakka needs to be replaced. If I got wra3 I would have no b/up.

I had sets of wrg2/3, loved them. I think I will go with Pirelli Cintuarto p7 when I need to replace the GY's.

If I had the wra3 I would use them year round. The talk on that issue is:
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...er+Tyres&mid=0

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/best-...too-1400252/3/

Last edited by barcelona; 11-05-2014 at 12:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 05:08 PM   #26
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep

Installed RFT hakka r2 directional, 11/32 was my measured thread depth.
Wheels are JWL & TUV certified, features a lip similar to EH2 (on oem wheels) to retain seal when flat.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 09:51 AM   #27
BigJake
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M40i

Dumb question, but when you order tires and wheels, can you install them yourself, or do they have to be balanced and have the TPMS installed?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 11:23 AM   #28
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep

Bmw Sells winter tire packages. Prices are reasonable considering that they are balanced & installed and with OEM wheel. They do not sell Hakka. Everywhere else you can buy separately and install yourself. Canada has FTM rather than TPMS. I understand that for TPMS the car has to initialized to receive the reading from each wheel. I bought and installed from my tire guy.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 01:46 PM   #29
Buzzman
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F26 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJake View Post
Dumb question, but when you order tires and wheels, can you install them yourself, or do they have to be balanced and have the TPMS installed?
To clarify your question: If you are asking if you can do the mounting yourself, i.e. Put the tire on the wheel, which I doubt is your question, you would need a machine to mount and one to balance. There are ways to do it "Redneck style" but I wouldn't recommended it on our wheels.

If what you are asking is if you can install the wheels on your own once mounted, then yes, if you at least have a jack, the adapter pad that goes into the jacking point, and appropriate socket wrench. If you have the wheels and tires mounted by a dealer/garage, they can install the TPMS and balance the wheels. Just find a reputable shop some will also do the TPMS reset. BTW, ask about the cost. If you have a shop do the mounting, install on the car should't be much more if anything at all. The TPMS can be reinitialised by you if you want. It is the same procedure as when you put air in the tire. The procedure is in the owner's manual. In mine it is on page 98.
Sorry, if I missed your question.
2007 E92 Space Grey - Retired

Last edited by Buzzman; 12-08-2014 at 01:53 PM..
Appreciate 0