BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-26-2014, 04:49 PM   #1
jedct
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

iDrive Update available for 2011 X3?

I just traded in my 2005 X3 for a CPO 2011 X3 28. I am a little disappointed or at least confused by my iDrive system/features. From what I can tell I have the most basic version of the iDrive from back when the car was manufactured in 2010/2011 - I have no apps, Connected drive, hard drive, etc. It also seems I have no ability to update the software on my own. The option doesn't appear on my menu, and went I went to website to try and do it via USB, I enter my VIN and I get a message which seems to suggest that I can't update the software via USB stick either.

So assuming all of my suspicions are true about the build of the iDrive being the basic model, is there anything I can do now to update it? Can I get the dealer to somehow update the software? Or is there a retrofit solution to this where I can upgrade my iDrive system after the fact?

I have an iPhone 5 which at the very least, I'd like to be able to hook up to the USB and have it integrated with the vehicle the way it would be in the newer models. The dealer told me all I would need is a Y-cable and the lightning adapter - I haven't tried this yet, but I'm guessing this is probably not true given the fact that the version of the software I have hasn't been updated since 2010/2011 and wouldn't recognize the phone.

Any help or ideas are appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2014, 09:20 AM   #2
northX3
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

I have the 2011 iDrive and it works flawlessly with my iPhone 5s with the black Y cable

No update needed

I think I also have the "basic" iDrive since I don't have BMW apps, Connected Drive nor HDD

Last edited by northX3; 02-04-2014 at 09:03 PM.. Reason: black Y cable
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 07:17 AM   #3
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

If you don't have a combox (and it sounds like you don't), you'll need a Y cable and a lightning adaptor as advised. The age isn't really relevant as all F25s will work provided that they were optioned with a combox (usually something like extended Bluetooth, nav, tech package).

You need pro nav (wider screen) for BMW Apps and it isn't really feasible to retrofit pro nav and apps

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0