BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-11-2011, 08:21 PM   #1
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Dealer Quote for Winter Wheels/Tires

I dropped by the local BMW dealer last Saturday to get a price on a set of winter wheels and tires. $3632.73, including tax, for a set of 307's (not 308's) and a set of Pirelli 245/50/18 Sottozeros. And I'm not sure that that includes the TPMS. I would prefer to keep BMW wheels on my X3, but Tirerack is looking real good at that price.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 09:07 PM   #2
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Was thinking about just changing the tires vice wheels and tires (Sottozeros). Looking at TireRack and the TireVan. What are your thoughts about doing both wheels and tires? Some particular advantage that warrants the cost of the wheels?
      10-11-2011, 09:12 PM   #3
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
Was thinking about just changing the tires vice wheels and tires (Sottozeros). Looking at TireRack and the TireVan. What are your thoughts about doing both wheels and tires? Some particular advantage that warrants the cost of the wheels?
well its better to not switch tires on the wheels twice a year, less wear and tear on the wheels. Seems like I have always read to go with new wheels for your winter tires (not just from the shop).

tire rack has some nice wheels for under $1000 for the set, I think its well worth it, saves your BMW OEM wheels from the harsh winter too.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 09:54 PM   #4
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

I'm pretty much on the same page as Mako. I don't want to be taking off/putting on the tires twice a year. Plus, I can spend the winter cleaning the accumulated brake dust off of the 308's, . (The last few Brake Dust Sundays haven't worked out as planned, the brake dust is building, and I'm starting to wonder if my pressure washer would damage the wheels...)
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 03:12 AM   #5
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25)

I got 1000€ for 17" replica wheels and Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7 tyres. Including taxes and all.

It will take few months before I can get any pictures of those, car delivery is on week 11/2012.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 09:10 AM   #6
caz681
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 Xdrive35i

One thing to note is that BMW OEM wheels have an extra lip (specification EH2), which will secure run-flat tires to the rim at zero pressure. On wheels which do not have this lip (i.e., 99.9% of the other wheels out there), the tire will likely separate from the rim in a zero-pressure situation (such as a blowout).

Whether or not that's an important feature, well, that's a personal decision.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 09:31 AM   #7
Toecutter
Private
Rep
Drives: rattletrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by caz681 View Post
One thing to note is that BMW OEM wheels have an extra lip (specification EH2), which will secure run-flat tires to the rim at zero pressure. On wheels which do not have this lip (i.e., 99.9% of the other wheels out there), the tire will likely separate from the rim in a zero-pressure situation (such as a blowout).

Whether or not that's an important feature, well, that's a personal decision.
That's good to know. I wasn't aware of the rim difference for RFTs.

Something else to consider: changing the tires twice per year for three years costs about $360, which is a fraction of the cost of new wheels. So if you're someone who leases for 36 months or sells within a few years it would be more cost effective (but less enjoyable) than getting dedicated winter wheels.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 09:46 AM   #8
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
I had a need last year to find a set of wheels with all season tires for winter for my X5. I looked on Tire Rack and almost had a set picked out, but they only had 18" available - which was okay... but the wheels seemed less than par. I wound up following several sets on eBay and eventually purchased a set of 19" pull-offs from an X5 with all season Michelin's in near new condition. Got them at a good price (including shipping) and they included the sensors and bolted right on without a need for hub rings, etc.

You might want to do some searching that way before you spend that kind of money. I paid about $1500 delivered.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 09:49 AM   #9
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Why Change Them?

I'm not sure if having an alternate set of wheels/tires is warranted...??? I live in Colorado in an area that gets more snow than the cities. I purchased the X3 to get the AWD vs my old 2 wheel RWD bimmer.

Since I don't have any experience with an X3 in the snow... is the X3 not a good snow vehicle?

I'm not blazing through fields or off roading, but many times the snow will not be plowed on our dirt road. My thought was the X3 would do just fine (without snow wheels/tires). All season tires sounded good to me.

Packages | M-Sport | Cold I & II | Tech | Premium | Sound | BMW Apps, HUD, Net
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 10:00 AM   #10
colson79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i DSB

I live in Central Wisconsin and we have snow at least 4 months a year and I have never run dedicated winter tires. I always run all seasons and have never had any issues with a 4 wheel drive vehicle. I'm sure a dedicated snow tire would offer better traction but it doesn't seem worth the hassle to me.
      10-12-2011, 10:08 AM   #11
Mako
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenX3 View Post
I'm not sure if having an alternate set of wheels/tires is warranted...??? I live in Colorado in an area that gets more snow than the cities. I purchased the X3 to get the AWD vs my old 2 wheel RWD bimmer.

Since I don't have any experience with an X3 in the snow... is the X3 not a good snow vehicle?

I'm not blazing through fields or off roading, but many times the snow will not be plowed on our dirt road. My thought was the X3 would do just fine (without snow wheels/tires). All season tires sounded good to me.
All Season tires are fine for most people, I think the attraction to most of us in getting winter tires is because we want summer performance tires in the summer. So if you have to change them out in the winter you might as well get winter tires, which are much better than all season in snow and ice.

I am still going back and fourth as to even getting winter tires/wheels or just seeing how the all season do the first winter. My wife is accident prone though (3 in 3 years) and she is normally the one picking up my kids (2 1/2 and 8 months) from daycare, so I want the tires that will help her out the most

currently this is what I am thinking my options are:

1) do nothing, stick with the M wheels and 19" all season tires
2) get 18" wheels from tire rack for around $800, put on some winter run flats, discount tire by me will always match the price (I have to pay "shipping" and tax but get free rotation and seasonal switch outs for life).
then I would either keep all season on the 19" or see if the dealer will give me a performance tire swap out for $200 or something like that. Tire Rack might even work out a deal with me.
3) get 20" wheels with performance tires, use my 19" wheels for winter either with the all season or work out a deal to swap for winters...

TPMS is around $50 a wheel to add, plus $400 per summer 20" tire, and $1000 for the wheels, I am around $2800 for that option. 18" winter setup would cost me around $2300 plus the cost of swapping out the 19" all season for performance.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 10:23 AM   #12
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep

I'm with ya

Mako - I'm with ya now. With my old bimmer I was thinking the same thing. I had trouble parting with the lower-profile wheel since I thought it really looked good and going with a beefier wheel/tire combo.

In the end, I stuck with the lower profile wheel/tire. There were a couple times I really struggled with the car getting up some snowy hills. If I had better tires, I'm sure I wouldn't have fought as much as I did... but it was only about 2 times in 4 years. Mostly, my mistake since I didn't watch the weather.

Now, I would never want my wife to be in that situation. For her, I would go safe all the way. Again, this is my old RWD bimmer. As for the X3... I can't comment yet...

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 11:09 AM   #13
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
the only reason I would think one would 'need' to swap to a winter tire, is if you ordered your X3 with the 309's and the mix mode tires, but you live in a place that gets alot of snow.

Personally, living in MD we don't get a ton of snow except the winter of 2010 when we had 3 huge storms - I am sticking w/ my 308's w/ all season H rated RFT's.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 11:14 AM   #14
Toecutter
Private
Rep
Drives: rattletrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenX3 View Post

It's funny, there is a very similar thread on one of the skiing forums that I frequent. All season tires are "okay" in most situations, but if you have any serious snow or ice driving on a regular basis then the difference between all season tires and snow/ice tires is hugely noticeable.

The biggest difference comes when you have to stop over swerve suddenly (e.g. to avoid an accident). Regardless of the type of drivetrain you have, stopping on snow and ice comes down to friction between the rubber and the ground.

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 11:15 AM   #15
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg2step View Post
the only reason I would think one would 'need' to swap to a winter tire, is if you ordered your X3 with the 309's and the mix mode tires, but you live in a place that gets alot of snow.

Personally, living in MD we don't get a ton of snow except the winter of 2010 when we had 3 huge storms - I am sticking w/ my 308's w/ all season H rated RFT's.
Same here in Delaware. Our winters are usually mild enough that a all season tire with plenty of tread is sufficient. Besides, during the "big storms", we are basically shut down anyway and I don't leave the house.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 12:25 PM   #16
Danpage
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330I 2003 & X3 35i Msport 2011

excuse my english but magwheel for run-flat is rare if some one saw aftermarket rim white me the name of this wheel.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 12:28 PM   #17
Danpage
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330I 2003 & X3 35i Msport 2011

This is the only one i saw but the offset is not good.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf magwheel.pdf (158.2 KB, 217 views)
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 10:53 PM   #18
Mako
Rep

do you guys think I would have issues with this wheel? 18 X 7.5 with 45 offset (chrome versions shows the offset).

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...nt&showRear=no
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 11:17 PM   #19
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep

Y2K...

Toecutter - thanks for the vid. In my car (current 740iL) I think the winter tires would have helped a couple times, but most of the time, I was fine.

For some reason, I feel like I just watched a Y2K video trying to scare me into purchasing snow tires. I think it might be more believable if it weren't a tire company that clearly has a bias on the issue.

I do think that stopping is no doubt better with snow tires. Sudden swerving, I think you're in trouble no matter what.

Probably comes down to driving habits, car maintenance (our keeping an eye on the tread), money, convenience, and a little gambling. I think someone said it already, but for most of us, the all seasons will be fine. Once a year, I'll probably wish I had snow tires on.

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 11:40 PM   #20
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Well, I take the other approach, and always have 4 good winters, regardless of drive line. Just the peace-of-mind knowing that if starts to snow, I don't have to worry about whether or not I'll get home. We get a lot of "black ice" in these parts as well, and All-Seasons really do not do well in that situation.

For me, winter tires are cheap insurance and a no-brainer.
      10-13-2011, 02:04 AM   #21
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25)

In here we always have two sets of tyres: summer and winter.

This is because what is needed from the tyre is different during summer than during winter, so all season is just compromise which is never good but never awful.

With good summer tyres the grip, "rigidness" and ability to avoid "water slide" is important, as well as good durability.

But winter tyres one needs good grip on slippery surface or powder snow and that means very soft rubber, ie. not so durable during summer time.

Also due to physics, you need wide and low tyre on summer and narrow but high tyre on winter. E.g. summer 245/45 and winter 205/65.

But of course we have more winter here, and even though it snows a lot, we never shut down. This picture is "normal morning" here, we clean the car and drive to work:

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2011, 07:49 AM   #22
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Strange, we get the same crystallized H2O here in Illinois. Even stranger, the same physics regarding optimum tread width, tread hardness and rubber compounds seems to apply in North America!

Here's a pic of me clearing our driveway on Feb. 2, 2011, (overnight snowfall here was 55cm) a couple of days before my new X3 arrived with "all-seasons" tires. I'm using a Swedish Husqvarna snow thrower, which remarkably seems to work fine with North American snow. Amazing! Can't wait to fire it up again.
Attached Images

Last edited by Lotus7; 10-13-2011 at 07:56 AM..
Appreciate 0