BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-23-2016, 11:30 AM   #1
daftsynth
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 3.5i TiAg/Chestnut

Jerking / Shuddering When Coming to a Stop

I have a 2011 BMW X3 3.5 with about 49k. When coming to a stop (at a intersection), I feel a slight jerk after the vehicle has stopped. It doesn't happen everytime, usually after the car has been running for some time. It's not consistent either after it happens.

The strange thing is this happens much less frequently when I'm in sport / manual mode.

I also get this when parking the car. Right when I change from reverse to drive (when parking), the car feels as though its getting bumped from behind.

I've brought it into an indy. There is no fault codes. They tried completely disabling the case transfer but the issue still happens. I've also attempted to bring it into a dealer but they said they probably wouldn't be able to help without any error codes.

Anyone else experience this? Or know what might be the cause?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2016, 12:50 PM   #2
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

First advise would be to let your dealer sort this out - but I guess you did not buy from BMW dealer.

Any jerk/bump must come from a rotating part/driveline, and my guess is one of the electric clutches, which is part of the AWD system. The clutch, possibly, does not disengage properly.

Second alternative is AUTO/clutch/converter not properly disengage.

Electric clutch is less costly.

This is probably not a warranty, so I suggest you go to a transmission expert
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2016, 11:20 PM   #3
ba ba boosh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jalopy

The ZF 8 Speed Transmission in the X3 is known for this sudden jerking motion. Happens to me when I'm driving at a stead speed and a yellow light comes up and I brake hard. I think it's just the transmission downshifting as you reduce your overall speed. No codes have ever come up or dashboard warnings, in regards to this. Only the stupid TPS Sensor Malfunction appears every 10-15 miles or so on the dashboard, then 30-50 seconds later it disappears. My dealership refuses to replace it even though I have the platinum extended warranty. I called BMW NA, they said unless the TPS Sensor Malfunction occurs at the dealership, they can't do anything. Why am I going to pay $250 for a new TPS Sensor Module when I paid over $4,000 for the extended warranty? Ludicrous.

Last edited by ba ba boosh; 08-27-2016 at 11:27 PM..
Appreciate 0