BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-23-2016, 06:55 PM   #1
drp087
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW M2C

Tires and Warranty

So I have about 13K miles on my X4, Pirelli P-Zero RFT's. Couple weeks ago I ended up with a torn sidewall of the FR tire, which I immediately replaced with a used tire locally.

Unfortunately, no shop near me had a used Pirelli P-Zero RFT in 245/40/20, and I sure wasn't going to pay $400 for a brand new one, because I plan on going with MPSS's or DWS06's once the P-zeros are done for.

So the FR tire is now a used Goodyear Eagle F1 RFT. Fortunately the tread on this used tire was close to my P-Zero's.

BUT i need to go in for service soon - Isofix recall, oil change, some brake issues I have, etc.
Will the dealer make any note of the different brand tire on one wheel? and in the worst case, even affect my warranty?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 12:17 AM   #2
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

I don't know about the dealer - but I would think not.

The important thing is diameter/circumference - if too much difference AWD system will work overtime.

I estimate less than 1/2" in diameter is OK-others claim it's too much.

Tread is unimportant- if it is an A/S - it's not. P ZERO's are performance tires.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 10:52 AM   #3
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/....jsp?techid=18

Take a look at the linked article at Tirerack.com on the importance of matching tires on an AWD vehicle.

While xDrive may tolerate somewhat greater differences in tire sizes than some all wheel drive systems from other manufacturers, having a tread depth difference among tires greater than 1/8" for significant miles would pose a concern to me. I generally replace my tires when tread depth on any tire is less than 6/32" in any event to maintain handling in rain or other bad weather conditions. Having mismatched tire treads may also contribute to drivability and handling problems.

I have changed all 4 tires earlier than I planned after one tire was damaged to keep the tires matched and maintain the performance that I motivated me to purchase a BMW in the first place. YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 12:00 PM   #4
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

Michigan Mike, you are entitled to your opinion, about the extra strain on driveline even with very small differencies in tire diameter - I have mine. One "small" tire will force AWD to work slightly - but nothing like driving on snow/ice, mud or gravel.

AWD also works when cornering.

Mismatched tires will have an impact on handling and driveability - however most people will never know - especially not those drivers contemplating going to All Seasons.

Tirerack is pleading their case.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 12:53 PM   #5
drp087
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW M2C

Thanks for all the input!

Yes preferably I know its wiser to change all tires, which I plan on doing soon anyway.

However I do need to get this car serviced soon so any input on whether dealer will leave a note on my records?

Also, I've heard good things about both Conti DWS06's and MPSS. Given I live in CA, and don't do any tracking, and drive in snow maybe once a year, DWS06 or MPSS?

I dont really need the Snow driveability of the DWS06, but I also dont need the full performance potentials of the MPSS. The Conti's are about $3-400 cheaper than the MPSS for the full set.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 03:09 PM   #6
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjalle View Post
Tirerack is pleading their case.
I appreciate that Tire Rack is in the business of selling tires and may have some potential bias to promote sales. However, Tire Rack also provides the service of significant objective tire testing and sharing such information. I find such tire test data from Tire Rack and other sources helps to inform my opinions. For example, the tests at the link below show how important tread depth is to stopping distances in wet conditions. This is one reason that I am inclined to change tires earlier than some owners.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...ay.jsp?ttid=85
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 03:35 PM   #7
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by niived View Post
However I do need to get this car serviced soon so any input on whether dealer will leave a note on my records?

Also, I've heard good things about both Conti DWS06's and MPSS. Given I live in CA, and don't do any tracking, and drive in snow maybe once a year, DWS06 or MPSS?

I dont really need the Snow driveability of the DWS06, but I also dont need the full performance potentials of the MPSS. The Conti's are about $3-400 cheaper than the MPSS for the full set.
My dealer documents an evaluation of my BMW during service including tire tread depth for each tire. This may be used to encourage me to replace my tires. Does your dealer do something similar? If so, I would not be surprised if the difference in your tires is documented by the dealer.

May this tire information be used by BMW to challenge a warranty claim should a problem arise? Your guess is as good as mine. If you can document the Goodyear tire was used only as a short term replacement, I doubt the problem arises.

I find the Tire Rack test data and customer surveys helpful in comparing tires. You may want to consider this data, if you have not already done so.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=216

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve...oModClar=xLine
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 06:28 PM   #8
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d M sport LCI

In the UK, BMW dealers state changing to non rft tyres DOES NOT invalidate your warranty, as long as you stick to premium brands and replace all 4 together.
I would suggest asking your local dealership, or ringing BMW customer service
      10-29-2016, 02:31 AM   #9
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinewood View Post
In the UK, BMW dealers state changing to non rft tyres DOES NOT invalidate your warranty, as long as you stick to premium brands and replace all 4 together.
I would suggest asking your local dealership, or ringing BMW customer service
Completely agree! In fact many will source non rft tyres and give you a quote for the change to them.
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0