BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-18-2020, 09:24 PM   #1
paulDDD
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25

X3 2015 Stabilisation Warning after wheel sensor replacment

I replaced the front left wheel sensor and reset the codes.

Within 100m drive a Stabilisation Warning came on the screen.

Error codes:
48068c Transfer Box temporary fault Temperature.
440117 Transfer box VTA temporary shutdown clutch protection.

Any advice appreciated on removing these codes or possible causes?
Expect that these error codes were initiated from the faulty wheel sensor. diagnostic tool Autophix 9710

Last edited by paulDDD; 08-18-2020 at 09:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 09:57 PM   #2
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulDDD View Post
I replaced the front left wheel sensor and reset the codes.

Within 100m drive a Stabilisation Warning came on the screen.

Error codes:
48068c Transfer Box temporary fault Temperature.
440117 Transfer box VTA temporary shutdown clutch protection.

Any advice appreciated on removing these codes or possible causes?
Expect that these error codes were initiated from the faulty wheel sensor. diagnostic tool Autophix 9710
What caused you to replace the wheel speed sensor? Did you have a code or two? If so, what did those codes say? I'm assuming you did not have the codes you are having now, right?

After replacing the wheel speed sensor and resetting the codes, how many miles did you put on the car? When did the current codes show up?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 12:00 AM   #3
paulDDD
Registered
Rep

Firstly a Flat Tyre message. stopped the car and when started with a cascade of errors and warnings DSC and ABS. Didn't record all the errors, should have but thought they all related to wheel sensor. Don't think the new were part of the initial codes. drove 3k to home where i changed the wheel sensor, reset codes and only drove 100m when the Stabilisation Warning message and the 2 error codes came up.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 07:38 AM   #4
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Firstly a Flat Tyre message. stopped the car and when started with a cascade of errors and warnings DSC and ABS. Didn't record all the errors, should have but thought they all related to wheel sensor. Don't think the new were part of the initial codes. drove 3k to home where i changed the wheel sensor, reset codes and only drove 100m when the Stabilisation Warning message and the 2 error codes came up.
Ok, thanks. I had a very similar situation with the chassis stabilization error, ABS light, Traction control disabled, Cruise Control disabled, steering was non power and the cars engine output was decreased. In reading the codes, it pointed to one wheel speed sensor so I replaced it. However, the problem was still there. I reset all codes, drove the car around the block and read the codes again and this time it was saying another wheel speed sensor was bad. In disbelief, I swapped that sensor with another one and the issue swapped along with it so I replaced the other wheel speed sensor, reset the codes, drove the car and had all my functions back, no more error msgs and no more codes.

Why two wheel speed sensors failed at the exact same time still puzzles me and when removing them from the wheels, they were clean, almost new looking. Why didn't the car throw codes for both sensors at the same time?? Dunno. So, just for kicks, you could swap your two front and two rear sensors and see what the results are. Also, be sure your battery is good as that causes all sorts of strange non explainable issues.
Appreciate 2
      08-20-2020, 12:03 AM   #5
paulDDD
Registered
Rep

Took the vehicle to BMW Dealership toady where they performed the diagnostics. They said that there was a fault with the new LH sensor as it was indicating the wheel was travelling in reverse. This makes sense as the now error code 440117 'disengaged the transfer box clutch to protect' as the EUC thinks one wheel is spinning backwards. To prove their theory BMW swapped the front sensors around and the reverse error moved to the other front wheel.

Befor this on initial start up after I fitted the new sensor my diagnostic tool flashed saying the wheel was in reverse. I rechecked that i didn't plug the sensor lead in wrong, there is flat on the plug so you cant plug it in the wrong way.
after putting it back together again I never saw that reverse error again on my diagnostic tool, i did review wheel indicator screen as i drove up the drive way with all wheels recording the same value.
Disappointing the tool didn't show a negative for the LHF at this time as i would have focused back on the sensor. I messaged the supplier and asked if they have had any reported issues with the type sensor. They replied if the item is faulty we will resupply or refund. no comment if they had experienced any past issues.

$960 spend at BMW due to a faulty sensor.... Not Happy! I assume the part supply business will refund my $25 for the sensor.

Last edited by paulDDD; 08-20-2020 at 12:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 07:44 AM   #6
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Took the vehicle to BMW Dealership toady where they performed the diagnostics. They said that there was a fault with the new LH sensor as it was indicating the wheel was travelling in reverse. This makes sense as the now error code 440117 'disengaged the transfer box clutch to protect' as the EUC thinks one wheel is spinning backwards. To prove their theory BMW swapped the front sensors around and the reverse error moved to the other front wheel.

Befor this on initial start up after I fitted the new sensor my diagnostic tool flashed saying the wheel was in reverse. I rechecked that i didn't plug the sensor lead in wrong, there is flat on the plug so you cant plug it in the wrong way.
after putting it back together again I never saw that reverse error again on my diagnostic tool, i did review wheel indicator screen as i drove up the drive way with all wheels recording the same value.
Disappointing the tool didn't show a negative for the LHF at this time as i would have focused back on the sensor. I messaged the supplier and asked if they have had any reported issues with the type sensor. They replied if the item is faulty we will resupply or refund. no comment if they had experienced any past issues.

$960 spend at BMW due to a faulty sensor.... Not Happy! I assume the part supply business will refund my $25 for the sensor.
Ouch! I have never had a part supplier acknowledge issues with parts they sell. What brand of wheel sensor did you buy? The good news is that it was only a wheel sensor and I assume the car is now back to normal, right? If BMW used their wheel sensor, which I'm assuming they did, they probably charge around $150 for it, leaving $810 for their labor at lets say $130/hr = 6+hrs to figure that out. Really? 6+hrs? What in the world did they do in 6+ hrs???
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 10:01 AM   #7
383vett
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2012 X3 Xdrive35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Ouch! I have never had a part supplier acknowledge issues with parts they sell. What brand of wheel sensor did you buy? The good news is that it was only a wheel sensor and I assume the car is now back to normal, right? If BMW used their wheel sensor, which I'm assuming they did, they probably charge around $150 for it, leaving $810 for their labor at lets say $130/hr = 6+hrs to figure that out. Really? 6+hrs? What in the world did they do in 6+ hrs???
In the BMW world, they did nothing in 6+ hours. Just charged for it.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 11:41 AM   #8
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383vett View Post
In the BMW world, they did nothing in 6+ hours. Just charged for it.
Ha ha ha, well for paulDDD's sake, I hope he comes back with other things they did because as you and I know, $960 to figure out and replace a wheel speed sensor should be illegal, even in the land down under!
Appreciate 0