BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-11-2016, 09:58 PM   #1
Owen13
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

anyone who have installed electronic throttle controller

I was excited about buying a throttle controller, but comments like this (below) make me wonder if it's worthwhile.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2016, 10:26 PM   #2
Owen13
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

I get the comments as follows from another car forum, is it right?

Can someone with an broader understanding give me the main pros/cons of a throttle controller?

guys i think you have something slightly skewed. a TC will*NOT*increase power.
it simply makes your computer oblivious to the signals your pedal sensor is sending out.
and in place, listens to the signals your throttle control is sending. to make things easier, the throttle control either multiplies or divids any signal your pedal is sending by half - and that depends on the map.

if you put your TC in eco, and hit the gas pedal to the floor:*your pedal will be sending out 100% throttle response. the ECO map in your new TC, basically is designed to take the 100% that your pedal is sensing from your foot, and cut it in half (lets just use numbers and factions as estimates) since idk the exact measurement to truly speak.
this way your engines responds only to as if you would have pressed your car to 50% throttle, so your technically not flooring the car, and making it burn morhttp://forums.nicoclub.com/ntd-throttle-controller-in-the-juke-t538853.htmle gas. YOU CAN DO THIS YOURSELF WITHOUT THE NEED OF A THROTTLE CONTROLER, BY SIMPLY NOT FLOORING YOUR CAR. AND USING ONLY 0%-50% PEDAL TRAVEL IN ORDER TO ACHIEVE THE "ECO MODE" MAP THAT YOU DESIRE.

now lets say you put it on the most powerful SP mode/map:*and you touch the gas pedal at say maybe only 10%. your pedal will be sending out the 10%, but it will be blocked by this throttle controller that will be INSTEAD sending 80% signal to your engine. SO YOUR CAR REACTS TO THE 80% THAT ITS BEING TOLD THE DRIVER IS PRESSING THE PEDAL DOWN TOO(even tho your you didnt press the 80%, the TC lied to your engine). so you think to yourself "WOW! a tiny bit of gas, and look how much power my car now has!". But in fact you could have achieved this same amount of power, simply by slamming your foot on the gas pedal to the floor.

this throttle controller is nothing more than a trick to your car. its sending out wrong, signals in order to manipulate the engines response. so your not getting any more power, than you already had. you didnt 'unlock' any hidden potential in the car. this is a common practice for bike racers to shorten the cable by which the throttle works on. the result is a shorter twist rate of your wrist, to get to the*WIDE OPEN THROTTLE*stage faster. the first time, riders get back on their race bikes, they are kinda tricked, that the usual throttle twist, now equals MORE ENGINE RESPONSE. but its not power. its just a new, faster response. (bikes still use cables, while cars now use electron "drive by wire" systemes. but the result is the same.)

you can give yourself the same results for free, as this throttle control gives you by doing this:
eco mode:*gently press the pedal down no more than 35% of its total travel distance.
normal mode:*from 0% pedal travel - quickly press the gas pedal down to 75%
sport mode:*from 0% pedal travel - quickly press the gas pedal down to 100%

if you wanted to unlock power, or make the engine actually make more power, it would need to be either re-tuned, or have a computer piggy-backed to the car- the will control the fuel injectors. my race-bike has this. its called a Dynojet PowerCommander. runs a little over $300 and it gets directly installed to your fuel injectors, and throttle control sensor. and what happens, is it basically re-organizes your air/fuel ratio, ignition setting, etc and makes your fuel injectors squirt more fuel depending on the MAP you choose. It allows a full range of fuel adjustment, as much as +/- 100% over stock.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 07:41 AM   #3
BimmerRookie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 Cavalier Z24 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen13 View Post
I get the comments as follows from another car forum, is it right?

Can someone with an broader understanding give me the main pros/cons of a throttle controller?

guys i think you have something slightly skewed. a TC will*NOT*increase power.
it simply makes your computer oblivious to the signals your pedal sensor is sending out.
and in place, listens to the signals your throttle control is sending. to make things easier, the throttle control either multiplies or divids any signal your pedal is sending by half - and that depends on the map.

if you put your TC in eco, and hit the gas pedal to the floor:*your pedal will be sending out 100% throttle response. the ECO map in your new TC, basically is designed to take the 100% that your pedal is sensing from your foot, and cut it in half (lets just use numbers and factions as estimates) since idk the exact measurement to truly speak.
this way your engines responds only to as if you would have pressed your car to 50% throttle, so your technically not flooring the car, and making it burn morhttp://forums.nicoclub.com/ntd-throttle-controller-in-the-juke-t538853.htmle gas. YOU CAN DO THIS YOURSELF WITHOUT THE NEED OF A THROTTLE CONTROLER, BY SIMPLY NOT FLOORING YOUR CAR. AND USING ONLY 0%-50% PEDAL TRAVEL IN ORDER TO ACHIEVE THE "ECO MODE" MAP THAT YOU DESIRE.

now lets say you put it on the most powerful SP mode/map:*and you touch the gas pedal at say maybe only 10%. your pedal will be sending out the 10%, but it will be blocked by this throttle controller that will be INSTEAD sending 80% signal to your engine. SO YOUR CAR REACTS TO THE 80% THAT ITS BEING TOLD THE DRIVER IS PRESSING THE PEDAL DOWN TOO(even tho your you didnt press the 80%, the TC lied to your engine). so you think to yourself "WOW! a tiny bit of gas, and look how much power my car now has!". But in fact you could have achieved this same amount of power, simply by slamming your foot on the gas pedal to the floor.

this throttle controller is nothing more than a trick to your car. its sending out wrong, signals in order to manipulate the engines response. so your not getting any more power, than you already had. you didnt 'unlock' any hidden potential in the car. this is a common practice for bike racers to shorten the cable by which the throttle works on. the result is a shorter twist rate of your wrist, to get to the*WIDE OPEN THROTTLE*stage faster. the first time, riders get back on their race bikes, they are kinda tricked, that the usual throttle twist, now equals MORE ENGINE RESPONSE. but its not power. its just a new, faster response. (bikes still use cables, while cars now use electron "drive by wire" systemes. but the result is the same.)

you can give yourself the same results for free, as this throttle control gives you by doing this:
eco mode:*gently press the pedal down no more than 35% of its total travel distance.
normal mode:*from 0% pedal travel - quickly press the gas pedal down to 75%
sport mode:*from 0% pedal travel - quickly press the gas pedal down to 100%

if you wanted to unlock power, or make the engine actually make more power, it would need to be either re-tuned, or have a computer piggy-backed to the car- the will control the fuel injectors. my race-bike has this. its called a Dynojet PowerCommander. runs a little over $300 and it gets directly installed to your fuel injectors, and throttle control sensor. and what happens, is it basically re-organizes your air/fuel ratio, ignition setting, etc and makes your fuel injectors squirt more fuel depending on the MAP you choose. It allows a full range of fuel adjustment, as much as +/- 100% over stock.
This is correct and true. A TC gives the user a false sense of added power due to the user not normally accessing 100% of the pedal's motion range (100% throttle). Thus by utilizing an aggressive map, the user will only need to press the pedal a little bit to produce more aggressive (and manipulated) throttle response.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 11:32 AM   #4
Asianoak
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 & "11 X3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
Does the factory programming not have a delay or low percentage to pedal input in your terms from a stop? I've always thought about purchasing one of these not for increased power but to eliminate that lag when accelerating from a stop.