BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-05-2011, 04:13 PM   #1
corey2140
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 19' Hockenheim M2C DCT

Tailpipe trim

Does anyone know how to remove the tailpipe trim? Or have already? Does it just pop on and off?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 04:50 PM   #2
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey2140 View Post
Does anyone know how to remove the tailpipe trim? Or have already? Does it just pop on and off?
The stainless steel trim covers simply press on and have metal "tabs" that dig into the pipe itself. Trying to remove one may damage the cover or at least damage the retaining tabs. It takes considerable force to press them on and will take more force to remove them. I'd be afraid of damaging the tailpipe to muffler connection if you apply too much force.

If I HAD to remove one without risking damage to the muffler/tailpipes, I'd probably split it lengthwise with a cut-off wheel, and then pry it off.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 04:51 PM   #3
ivanoski
F25 X3 2.0 Diesel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW x3 20d 8SpdAUTO BLACK

mine is soldered on, this the basic one, im going to weld an aftermarket chrome one soon
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 05:01 PM   #4
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanoski View Post
mine is soldered on, this the basic one, im going to weld an aftermarket chrome one soon
X3 20d models (Except the M-Sport) come with the tailpipe only and no trim. The OP is referring to the press-on stainless tips that come standard on the 35i.

BMW does make a polished pipe tip specifically for your 20d. It does not require any welding to install. Part No. 18308511364.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 05:40 PM   #5
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

They take moderate to easy force to install. I used the palm of my hand. If you can get behind the pipe you may be able to bend the two tabs forward. The tabs and their position are the only thing holding it.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 01:57 AM   #6
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive View Post
They take moderate to easy force to install. I used the palm of my hand. If you can get behind the pipe you may be able to bend the two tabs forward. The tabs and their position are the only thing holding it.
The force to install them must vary a lot (possibly tolerance of the tab angle and the tailpipe diameter). I helped a friend put a pair on a 2011 28i (Bronze Metallic w/Sand interior and no rust on the pipes) last August and it finally took wrapping the tips in a towel and firmly tapping on them with a rubber mallet. There was no way that the two of us could slide them on with "moderate to easy force", or even excessive force and a lot of swearing. Both his and mine are going to remain in place until the mufflers are replaced.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 11:38 AM   #7
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
The force to install them must vary a lot (possibly tolerance of the tab angle and the tailpipe diameter). I helped a friend put a pair on a 2011 28i (Bronze Metallic w/Sand interior and no rust on the pipes) last August and it finally took wrapping the tips in a towel and firmly tapping on them with a rubber mallet. There was no way that the two of us could slide them on with "moderate to easy force", or even excessive force and a lot of swearing. Both his and mine are going to remain in place until the mufflers are replaced.
Had the same experience as you did with my daughter's 325i. Force, grease, swearing and an hour of time for two tailpipe tips. The X3 was five minutes and a smile. Go figure. At any rate the really hard part is probably removing them. I'm guessing the tabs are bent backward to the car to act like a barbed fish hook or a porcupine spine.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 02:59 PM   #8
ivanoski
F25 X3 2.0 Diesel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW x3 20d 8SpdAUTO BLACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
X3 20d models (Except the M-Sport) come with the tailpipe only and no trim. The OP is referring to the press-on stainless tips that come standard on the 35i.

BMW does make a polished pipe tip specifically for your 20d. It does not require any welding to install. Part No. 18308511364.
I can avoid the hassle of ordering it online and waiting for it for 3 weeks and pay 3 times as much. Sometimes , aftermarket is the way to go.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 04:14 PM   #9
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanoski View Post
I can avoid the hassle of ordering it online and waiting for it for 3 weeks and pay 3 times as much. Sometimes , aftermarket is the way to go.
Yep. BWM exhaust tips are a little pricey compared with some of the aftermarket products, but at least they won't come off (even if you want them to!).

Don't know if 3A Racing delivers to Hounduras, but they make one that's easy to install (includes an internal mounting bracket/clamp), will fit the 20d and is even larger than the BMW oval tip. Costs less then $10 US.

They also make a "regular-sized" one, if you think that size doesn't matter.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 05:47 PM   #10
ctski1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 328, 2017 X1

Quote:
Just buy one man. Not worth burning your hand over few $$...
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 10:08 PM   #11
corey2140
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 19' Hockenheim M2C DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctski1 View Post
Quote:
Just buy one man. Not worth burning your hand over few $$...
I'm trying to remove my current chrome BMW one so I can get it powder coated gloss black.
Appreciate 0