BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-12-2016, 07:54 AM   #1
Smithy2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d msport Auto

X3 v X1

Driving down a dual carriageway the other day and saw what i thought was an X5 in my rear view mirror, imagine my surprise when it past me and it was an X1

The new X1 looks really smart and after having a quick look on the spec sheet its not much different size wise, about 20cm in length and 3cm in width, boot space is about 10% less than the X3, economy is slightly better as is the 0-60mph time. Interior looks really nice and i'm guessing the new X3 will take some design cues from it. Price wise it is obviously cheaper than the X3 but not by huge amounts if you hit the options list. I pretty sure i read somewhere that the X1 is based on the new mini platform whereas the X3 is based on the 3 series platform, not sure if that makes any difference?

What are people's thoughts on the new X1, I am tempted to have a closer look as it may be an option short-term when my X3 goes back next year to get me to the date that the new X3 arrives.
      04-12-2016, 07:57 AM   #2
Barbera335
Captain
Rep
Drives: F25

I would stick with the X3. As you stated, the X1 is indeed based on the Mini platform. As such, it includes a transverse mounted engine and a front wheel drive based all wheel drive system versus the superior dynamics of the rear wheel drive based all wheel drive system in the X3. The X3 is deserving of its Roundel. The X1 less so, but as always, this is just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 08:23 AM   #3
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

When the X1 was first released, Oxford BMW had the X3 and the X1 sitting together in the showroom. Granted there are enhancements that make the X1 a better buy for some people, the overriding factor for me was that you sit lower in the X1 and for me that was show stopper. Also I like the 3 litre 6 pot engine and that as we all know cannot fitted transversally across the engine bay of the X1. There are other items that I will not go into now, but all in for me the X3 in my view is still the better 4x4 of the two.

Last edited by Peter_R; 04-12-2016 at 08:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 09:29 AM   #4
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

we look at the previous X1 and for the same spec it was little difference in price for a lot more car....
The new one is indeed bigger and a nice option - it drives well and is not a bad choice for your money.....as you say give it a go for a short term you may even want to keep it.....
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 10:52 AM   #5
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d M sport LCI

I took a very close look at a brand new X1, and a year old X3 as we currently enjoy.
The X1 is a capable car, but i wouldn't call it a 4 x 4, more a slight crossover.
Fixtures and fittings are of a good quality.
The 2.0 engine didn't inspire me, but i had already set my heart on a v6 diesel by that stage. It would be prefectly suitable for most folk.
Driving position is that of a tall car, not 4 x 4.again not a criticism, more an observation.
It may be built on the mini platform, but it reminded me of a tall 3 series. The X3 is much bigger in proportions and reminds me of the E60 i sold to buy this one.

Last edited by Pinewood; 04-12-2016 at 11:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 11:03 AM   #6
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinewood View Post
I took a very close look at a brand new X1, and a year old X3 as we currently enjoy.
The X1 is a capable car, but i wouldn't call it a 4 x 4, more a slight crossover.
Fixtures and fittings are of a good quality.
The 2.0 engine didn't inspire me, but i had already set my heart on a v6 diesel by that stage. It would be prefectly suitable for most folk.
Driving position is that of a tall car, not 4 x 4.again not a criticism, more an observation.
It may be built on the mini platform, but i reminded me of a tall 3 series. The X3 is much bigger in proportions and reminds me of the E60 i sold to buy this one.
Yes....I tend to think it is more like a crossover! This is one of the reasons Oxford BMW had the X1 and the X3 together in the showroom, so you could jump out of one into another for a comparison.

By the way, not criticising, but you refer to one of the engines on the X3 being V6 diesel! A typing error? BMW to my knowledge have never made a V6! It is a straight 6 engine!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 11:12 AM   #7
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d M sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
Yes....I tend to think it is more like a crossover! This is one of the reasons Oxford BMW had the X1 and the X3 together in the showroom, so you could jump out of one into another for a comparison.

By the way, not criticising, but you refer to one of the engines on the X3 being V6 diesel! A typing error? BMW to my knowledge have never made a V6! It is a straight 6 engine!
Yes your right - i meant a straight six :-)
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 03:42 PM   #8
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

We seriously looked at the new F48 X1 to potentially replace our X3 when it appeared last year. On paper it was impressive. With the change of drive layout (from the E84 X1) there was significant space freed up which resulted in X3-equalling legroom and almost the same boot space as the X3. There was even for boot space than even the 3-series wagon which we were also looking at. One aspect I really liked was the huge space under the floor in the boot which would have been suitable for a space-saver spare (and not far short of holding a full size spare).

But it was the drive experience that put us off. Far noisier than the X3 (road, wind and suspension noise) with a firm ride. Certainly another BMW that appears to benefit from specifying the optional variable suspension.

I remember reading some PR blurb from BMW Australia saying they expect 75% of X1 buyers to be new to the BMW brand and most of the remaining 25% to be coming from the first generation X1. And I think I can believe them - for those stepping up to their first affordable luxury car its makes a good impression. Likewise those coming from the fairly ordinary first gen X1 or say the 1 series (judging from many posts I've read across in the F48 X1 forum). But I'd be surprised those coming from many other BMW models would be that impressed. And its not necessarily the FWD biased drive, but rather (IMO) the cheapened drive experience in respect to noise and ride.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 12:09 AM   #9
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

BMW has started to launch hybrids (also) on Mini platform, with electric rear drive.

I am contemplating in 3-5 years time to buy an X2, if:
-plug-in hybrid
-combined power - at least - 300bhp, with, at least, 100 bhp rear.
-M variant
-auto (Aisin), almost as good as ZF.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 12:23 AM   #10
honeybadgerch
Private
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 2.0d xline

The new X1 is definitely a looker, I seriously considered on while deciding on my X3. What ultimately sold me on the X3 was the higher driving position and the overall feel of the X3. It might be in my mind, but it felt as if the X1 was sacrificing something by having a FWD based platform. Also, the seating position being somewhat lower made it feel like a 5er wagon rather than a cross. Beautiful vehicle none the less.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2016, 01:14 PM   #11
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

I had a new X1 on loan last week when my car went in for another set of front discs. It was a nice car to drive and outwardly very similar in size to the X3. However, as others have said here, the seating position feels a lot lower than the X3 and this in itself would put me off buying one.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 09:02 AM   #12
Crassus
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 19' G20 X3 20i & 19' M140i

I drove the X1 last month.

To my surprise the FWD architecture doesn't disappoint. The handling was great and the interior packaging incredible. The space under the floor of the boot is big and the sliding rear bench gives the cabin lot of flexibility.

Although the entry level sDrive models are affordable, the car is only marginally cheaper than the X3 once you pick a decent engine and add must-have options. On the inside it looks cheaper than the X1 and as other have mentioned, the X3 has superior visibility and a much more luxurious ride.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 01:44 PM   #13
exon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i Jet Black!

Mini are historically pretty loud & stiff cars. While BMWs are usually pretty quiet at highway speeds. If the X1 is based on Mini platform, I would really test it out on some rougher roads just to see ride quality and sound proofing.

But otherwise, if it is 4 cylinder you are after, having the RWD versus FWD platform probably matters less. FWD has way better packaging and its shorter wheelbase gives more agililty in daily driving.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 04:44 PM   #14
RhoXS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 Z3 3.0i + 2016 X3 28i

IMO, the X1 has a completely different "feel" than the X3. It does not have the same sense of solid upper scale luxury that the X3 has. Although this is very subjective, as some examples, the X1 doors do not close with the same satisfying sound, the X1 seats are not as comfortable, the X1 cabin does not have the same sound deadening as the X3, and the appearance of the X1 cabin and dash seem to imply it is more of an entry level BMW. I don't think the X1 has all the option packages that are available on the X3 but I am not 100% sure of this. However, the 28i X3 has that horrible 4 cylinder engine that is not at all appropriate for what one expects from a $60K BMW.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 06:57 PM   #15
Greg2010
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X1 sDrive28i

I seriously considered buying the new X1 a few months back, since the lease end on my 2013 X3 was fast approaching. The newly designed exterior of the X1 looks pretty good (although the back end needs another makeover) and in comparison, it looked like a nice alternative "on paper". However, when I first sat inside the X1, what a disappointment. It has a lot less comfort than the X3, since the seats are stiffer/narrower and are positioned lower inside of the cabin. The shifter height in the X1 is also much longer (another poor design) and the nav screen on the X1 seemed smaller and not well integrated in the dash. The X1 also rides very different, since it is built on the Mini (and does also not have a great reputation in terms of quality). So glad I decided to stay with the X3 and go with the lease buyout!

SOLD - 2013 X3 35i l BSM l MSport l DHP l Premium l Sound l Tech l CW/CWII l Apps l 35% Tint

SOLD - 2010 E92 335 X-drive l BSM l MSport l Steptronic l Premium l CW l Logic 7 l Confort l Nav l KW-V1s l 35% Tint
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 07:55 PM   #16
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy2014
Driving down a dual carriageway the other day and saw what i thought was an X5 in my rear view mirror, imagine my surprise when it past me and it was an X1

The new X1 looks really smart and after having a quick look on the spec sheet its not much different size wise, about 20cm in length and 3cm in width, boot space is about 10% less than the X3, economy is slightly better as is the 0-60mph time. Interior looks really nice and i'm guessing the new X3 will take some design cues from it. Price wise it is obviously cheaper than the X3 but not by huge amounts if you hit the options list. I pretty sure i read somewhere that the X1 is based on the new mini platform whereas the X3 is based on the 3 series platform, not sure if that makes any difference?

What are people's thoughts on the new X1, I am tempted to have a closer look as it may be an option short-term when my X3 goes back next year to get me to the date that the new X3 arrives.
The new X1 is a great product. But, if you have bimmerglobin circulating within you veins, the x3 is a much better fit.

The current x3 is is triply refined as compared to the new X1.

Since the X1 is so new. You're not getting any deals. But, since the new x3 is in production, you're going to find some great deals in the old models.

Right now, the magic is in the x3 diesel. What an amazing little powerhouse.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 10:08 AM   #17
cheesebag
Debadged and Alpine Weiss!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 Msport

My son has the new shape mini... It's an absolute scream, a go kart!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 05:11 PM   #18
kevink1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 xDrive28d

For me, the X3 is the right size. I don't want bigger. If I went smaller, I probably would go with the wagon.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 05:45 PM   #19
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

To be honest the new X1 is still a Mini on Steroids. We see many (Minis) round this area being only a stones throw from the Mini car plant in Cowley Oxford.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 12:24 PM   #20
TJNies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

I took my X3 in for service, and was given a 2016 X1 loaner.

My random thoughts:
The X1 is smaller, and seemingly more fling-able, responds quickly to inputs.

The instrument cluster is smaller and more information jammed into that small area. I'm sure you can adjust, but appeared cluttered to me. The opening in the steering wheel was barely large enough to see through - you had to crane your neck a bit to see all the information.

The X1 is a bit quicker off the line, but sounds louder and thrashier than the X3 (I thought they had the same 2.0L engine?).

X1 has a nice amount of luggage area due to the front-drive layout.

All in all, I prefer the X3, but can understand why someone else might like the X1.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 12:50 PM   #21
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

X3 is a nicer overall package. Better interior materials. The X1 drives more like a car and is roughly comparable to the X3 in 'fun factor' though I'd argue the X3 controls just feel nicer in action (except for the X3 pedals which I think are awkwardly positioned too far inward).

Surprisingly, the X1 interior feels bigger than the X3. BMW did a nice job of 'cutting out' the transmission tunnel on the drivers side so there's plenty of leg room for tall drivers like me and the overall impression of the X1 interior is much less claustrophobic than the X3. This alone for me would make it a contender alongside the X3 when shopping for a smallish crossover.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 04:44 PM   #22
kevink1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 xDrive28d

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJNies View Post
The opening in the steering wheel was barely large enough to see through - you had to crane your neck a bit to see all the information.
I noticed that driving a 3 series as a loaner compared to my X3. My X3, it is easy to see the entire instrument cluster through the wheel. I had to adjust viewpoint in the car.
Appreciate 0