BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-04-2019, 09:24 AM   #1
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

Oil pan gasket need replaced?

Car is at 65,000 miles / 10,500 km.

In the late summer, I experienced a small oil leak at the bottom of the car. Since the oil was dripping near the oil drain bolt so I thought it was just a washer so I tightened it. When I did the oil change yesterday, the oil leak still exist albeit less leak, probably due to shorter time period. As I was driving today, I noticed strong oil smell from the engine, after I stopped the car and opened the hood, I found a splash of oil in the engine compartment. So this gush of oil only happen after the oil drain and fill due to oil change, so I'm assuming it's most likely the oil pan gasket. What do you guys think?
it's dark and raining day today so I don't have a good picture and it's parked underground now.

It's most likely not the Oil Filter Housing since both gaskets were replaced early last year.

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 09:43 AM   #2
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Are you certain you replaced the oil filler cap on the valve cover after the oil change?

Don't see pan gasket causing oil on top of motor- maybe loose turbo oil line?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 10:07 AM   #3
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
Are you certain you replaced the oil filler cap on the valve cover after the oil change?

Don't see pan gasket causing oil on top of motor- maybe loose turbo oil line?
dammit, i got carry away with the torque on the filter cap..

i usually use ratchet to tighten. yesterday i got lazy because it was getting really cold and used same breaker bar to loosen and tighten.

I'll get this fixed when I get home. I will still monitor the bottom of car in case there's still small leak.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 05:40 PM   #4
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingstar88 View Post
dammit, i got carry away with the torque on the filter cap..

i usually use ratchet to tighten. yesterday i got lazy because it was getting really cold and used same breaker bar to loosen and tighten.

I'll get this fixed when I get home. I will still monitor the bottom of car in case there's still small leak.
There's a torque spec printed right on the cap, you don't use a torque wrench?

The o-ring fits in a groove in the cap so I don't see how it could possibly squeeze out no matter how tight the cap is unless the o-ring was not install on the cap correctly or you did not put a thin coat of oil on the o-ring to aid in it going inside the OFH properly. Well, at least you figured it out.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 07:28 PM   #5
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I just forgot to double check like I usually do. this is probably my 8th DIY oil change and I got carry away/lazy. I do have a 3/8" ratchet and torque wrench. I think what happened was that my initial hand turn was not proper and caused the black gasket ring to pop out a little like the picture. I did not have to use new ring gasket, just took it out and re-positioned it using the o ring hook.

On the way home, i had to stop the car mid way at friends place due to proximity to highway when i received the low engine oil - add a quartz error. added back about oil 1.5 litre, re-positioned the black ring gasket, and torqued it to 25lbs. hopefully no damage was done to the engine.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 07:40 PM   #6
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingstar88 View Post
I did not have to use new ring gasket, just took it out and re-positioned it using the o ring hook.
hopefully no damage was done to the engine.
Didn't the new oil filter include a new o-ring? I've never reused the old o-ring since the filter comes with one.

I doubt any engine damage occurred, though that engine is a mess now and could use a good de-greasing.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 08:04 PM   #7
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
Didn't the new oil filter include a new o-ring? I've never reused the old o-ring since the filter comes with one.

I doubt any engine damage occurred, though that engine is a mess now and could use a good de-greasing.
I meant I did not have to throw away the o-ring that was tucking out in the 2nd picture. It was newly installed yesterday. I guess part of it was twisted when installed it first time and re-install today fixed it. In the future, i wont be lazy with the latex gloves and lube them up before installing.

thanks for the comment.
Appreciate 0