BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-19-2024, 01:12 PM   #1
clarkerz
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d (F25 - 2011)

Source of Battery Disharge x3 F25 identified

I bought a towbar electric kit from eBay in December and despite it working correctly, 2 days after installing I started to get the ‘Battery Disharging Whilst Stationary warning. I measured the current draw whilst the car was asleep and the towbar electrics were drawing 44mA. I bought a new AGM battery (110Ah)battery, coded it with Bimmer Link and Code and was pleased the stop/start started working. I was still getting the message after 2 days of not using the car, so removed the towbar electrics 4 wires that connected to the loom and directly to the battery and after 2 days, I still got the battery discharging whilst stationary message. I put an ammeter in series with the battery and watched the current being drawn which starts off at 9A then goes down to 1A after a few mins and then gradually settles at 100mA and fluctuates between that and 120mA.
I pulled all the fuses in the boot and that made no difference but the 2nd fuse I pulled behind the glovebox, no 58, dropped the current draw down to a solid 26mA and the alarm sounded. Looking at the fuse key card, it looks like fuse 58 could be the alarm (WiFi signal at an angle) but when I check the error code on Bimmer link it says there is a failure of the transmission receiver or something similar. When I check the battery charge on Bimmer link it drops 20% over two days. When I disconnect the battery and leave for 2 days and connect back up it hasn’t dropped at all.
100mA doesn’t seam excessive as my Maths works out it’ll take 93 days to flatten the battery?
Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0