BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-23-2021, 07:06 PM   #1
ciaka
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 bmw x3

F25 BMW x3 sDrive 28i - DIY Engine oil change

My wife decided to surprise daughter with a car for her 16th bday. So, long story short, I came home to daughter sporting an x3 car.
Now, guess who will be doing maintenance on the car? I wont bother to raise my hand, but we all know how this is going to go.

For the first interval, I am taking care of the oil. Dealer said it was all changed, but they are known to lie through their teeth, so off we go with the oil and filter. Tranny and other fluids will be next after inspecting them.

To try to make this quicker, there are many videos for doing the oil change. If you have never done one before, or never done it on this vehicle, go to google and search for 2017 BMW x3 s28i oil change. It will be great for you to read the entire thing in full, before you start. Then watch a sample video, and you will be set.
Videos will show you how to get ready for the change and do it as well.
This thread will contain technical info on the change.

I. Items you will need:
1. Oil: Full synthetic Castrol Edge 5W30

OIL CAPACITIES:
x3 s28i: 4.8L
x3 x28i: 5.3L
x3 x35i: 6.9L
Walmart sells full synthetic oil for $23/5L jug, free shipping. I use Castrol full synthetic on all my Porsches, and it sure will be great for an x3 BMW.
I live in hot TX climate, and chose this grade so that I get little better protection in hot summer nights (around here in summer, it is common to have 90F temps after midnight, plus I have been using it on my Porsches for years, it does marvelous on high performance cars, and it will be just as good on this vehicle. The 5 at front shows viscosity at ambient, and since I live in a hotter place, the 5 protects engine better than 0 in the hot. The W30 is viscosity at operating Temp, and I chose to leave it same, since operating temperature of the engine, is pretty si.ilar in TX and in NY during summer months. Just giving a little explanation to the reasoning here.

2. Oil filter: Mann-Filter HU 816 X Metal-Free Oil Filter (Pack of 3)
Got the 3 pack as I know I will do more of these, and it will come out cheaper in the end. Cost was $24 for 3 filters with seals.

3. Oil filter cap wrench: JDMON 86mm 16 Flute Oil Filter Wrench
Got mine from Amazon next day ship (with the filters). Cost me $14. You can get any tool, as long as it is 86mm with 16 flutes. So knock yourself out.

4. Drain plug washer: Copper Washer Flat Sealing Gasket Ring Spacer for Car 12 x 17 x 1.5mm
You can get any drain plug washers, I use these since I have always had good results especially when following the torque specs. The washer dimensions are needed to fit over the drain plug.

5. Ramps or car jack. I use a set of ramps to drive up on and get the job done.

6. Oil drain pan, so you can catch the old oil into something. Pan must be large enough to catch 7L of oil, get one that holds 12L or so. Make sure the pan hole is open when you start, otherwise your oil will overflow and you will have a lot of fun trying to clean up the mess you created.

II.
Now onto process and torque specs. This is again, for the F25 gen (2nd gen: MY 2011 - 2017 inclusive)
NOTE: Before you start, remove the acoustic cover (plastic cover with the BMW logo on it). Do it gently, pulling straight up at corners. There are round rubber grommets underneath, which sometimes hold the cover from releasing, gentle pressure upwards will force the cover out of the grommet holes. If you push diagonally, if in cold temps, the plastic on cover may crack, or may distort the grommets when you try to reinstall. Later on you will have to replace. More $ to spend then.

1. Lift and secure car
2. Open hood
3. Crawl under car. Use 17mm deep socket to remove drain plug and catch oil into the pan. Note, oil flow will be strong, so do whatever you think makes sense to protect from splashing oil drops. Nice large tarp is a good cheap way. Or maybe you dont care. Your call.
4. While oil is draining, go to top of engine, and loosen the oil housing cap (enough to allow some air to get in and get the oil at top of engine to drain down. Wait for a couple minutes before removing the oil filter housing. If you think good idea, surround the housing with shop towels, to avoid any spills when taking filter off the housing.
5. Once oil under car stops flowing (yeah, you can wait for hours trying to drain it all, but once it drips slowly, you are more than good to go), place new drain plug washer onto the oil plug, and tighten it up. Don't place the trim back on yet, not until after you ensure oil is not leaking from the drain plug area.
DRAIN PLUG TORQUE: 25Nm = 18.5Ftlbs = 221inlbs.
NOTE: It is best to use a 1/4" drive torque wrench for small jobs like this, to help avoid over torqueing.
6. Get back up to top of car, remove old filter (can be messy so don't do it over the engine bay, have spare shop towels ready and co it over some plastic covering.
7. Replace seal at the tip of filter housing (small seal). Use a seal pick to gently remove old one and not damage metal as you put new seal on. This is included with oil filter package. Lightly lube the seal with oil before installation.
8. Replace the filter housing large seal (going around the housing itself). This is included with the oil filter package. Clean the housing nicely with new towels. Keep it all nice and clean. Lightly lube the seal with oil before installation.
9. Slide new oil filter onto the inside of filter housing (you will hear an audible click as it backs into the bottom of the housing). Make sure filter is fully seated.
10. Insert the filter housing into the filter opening and tighten it up.
FILTER HOUSING TORQUE: 25Nm = 18.5Ftlbs = 221inlbs.
11. Clean up any drips that may have been made (clean up your mess now, later it will get more dirty).
12. Add the oil. Add about 6.2L at first. Close cap, start car, make sure the oil is not leaking from under car or from filter housing. Then turn car off.
13. Secure trim cover under car.
14. Drive off stands and place car on level surface.
15. Do an oil level reset. After process it will tell you if you are at max or below. Add as necessary to top up to max.
16. Reset the oil service warning (and any other warnings that you may need to reset. To do this, with car off, put start button once, then press and hold reset button at bottom left of cluster. Hold until you see the oil reset prompt. Release button then press once to select which reset you want to perform. Once on oil reset, press and hold same button until progress bar completes the reset. Release button. If you need to reset other service warnings, push same button momentarily, to get to the service for reset, then press and hold that button until progress completes. you are done resetting. If you have a service log, note the date and mileage of service, what you did and what parts you used. I have one for each of my cars. Invaluable in looking back to see what you did and what needs doing next.

Hope this helps. No images because there are many videos for the change.

Last edited by ciaka; 08-02-2021 at 01:49 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-24-2021, 03:08 PM   #2
shoman24v
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i, 2022 Highlander

I have a 2017 sDrive28i and I don't put that much oil in. It should take 5L.
Attached Images

| 2018 BMW 330i | 30k Miles | M-Sport Package | Driving Assistance Plus | Premium Package | Executive Package | Harmon Kardon | Active Blind Spot Detection | PDC | Mineral Grey Metallic/Coral Red Dakota Leather |
| 2022 Toyota Highlander Platinum AWD |
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2021, 04:26 PM   #3
evilchargerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 (N55), 2014 I01 (REX)

ciaka

thank you for this very detailed write up
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 07:26 AM   #4
BMW 2019
Rep
Drives: bmw x5 2019, x3 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaka View Post
2017 BMW x3 s28i oil change. It will be great for you

OIL CAPACITIES:
x3 s28i: 4.8L
x3 x28i: 5.3L
x3 x35i: 6.9L

Now onto process and torque specs. This is again, for the F25 gen (2nd gen: MY 2011 - 2017 inclusive)

12. Add the oil. Add about 6.2L at first. .
Wow
Appreciate 0