BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-15-2011, 09:20 PM   #45
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

DDC is the car detecting an impulse on the front and calibrating the rear suspension to better handle the bump when the rear hits -- dynamically adjusting the dampers. It is not the selection between Normal and Sport (or Sport+).
      09-15-2011, 09:33 PM   #46
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
DDC is the car detecting an impulse on the front and calibrating the rear suspension to better handle the bump when the rear hits -- dynamically adjusting the dampers. It is not the selection between Normal and Sport (or Sport ).
Clearly that is lost on some people. The rocker switch leaves people with sensationalist ideas about how they picked this super cool new feature. The chassis settings correspond with a rarely acknowledged BMW system, Dynamic Chassis Control. Dynamic (or variable) Damper Control is involuntary. Dynamic Chassis Control is based on driver input.

Ahhh, another syntax issue a la BMW marketing team.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 09:39 PM   #47
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

To add (cause I'm on my iPhone and cannot edit posts), the Drivetrain settings in the rocker switch correspond to a system called Dynamic Drive Control. This system is documented with the 5, 6, 7, and Z4. It is not written down for the X3, but the Drivetrain settings correspond to those in the 5, 6, 7, and Z4.

The chassis settings do not, as the 5, 6, and 7 all have Comfort and Comfort settings, too.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 12:42 AM   #48
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem2 View Post
I won't pretend that I'm not confused.

How do you engage Performance Control on your F25, it is via the iDrive?

I don't have DDC but I do have an MSport with sports suspension. I have Sport and Sport+ modes but of course no damper setting to change. How is my set up different to yours?
You can't switch performance control on or off. It's permanently on. In fact it's all a bit Emperor's New Clothes as there is no easy way to prove your car has it, certainly the dealer couldn't (but then that's no great surprise). I know I paid for it!

OK, DDC = Dynamic Drive Control in this context not dynamic damping control or variable damping control (VDC). You do have Dynamic Drive Control otherwise you wouldn't have Normal/Sport/Sport+ modes. You have Dynamic Drive Control because it's always included when you have Variable Sports Steering or VDC (you have VSS). It has to be included with VSS or you'd have no way to easily change the tightness of the steering when driving.

The DDC abbreviation doesn't help as it can mean two completely different things: Dynamic Drive Control and Dynamic Damping Control. In the UK though it's usually called Variable Damper Control which makes it easier to to distinguish.

Call it Variable Damper Control or Dynamic Damping Control but they are both misleading because including this option gives you both dynamic changes in your suspension which happen automatically, and also a user configurable ability to vary the firmness of the suspension. So perhaps it should be called Dynamic Variable Damping Control

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 12:45 AM   #49
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsprague View Post
This is my favourite topic too

This confusion is going to persist until BMW more clearly defines what dhp does on the website (and this definition matches people's experieince).

I'm interested in a usa x35i with SAP. On the BMW website it says that for this configuration DHP adds:

Dynamic Handling Package $1,400

• Variable sport steering

Continuously adjusts the steering ratio and steering force to suit the changing driving situation. The steering ratio is adjusted depending on the steering movement. You can enjoy increased agility on winding roads, more safety at higher speeds, and great flexibility when parking.

• Performance Control

Maintains a rear-wheel-drive-oriented torque split, for sportier handling and responsiveness.

No mention of damper or suspension settings so my confusion continues..
They've not listed the most expensive part of this package (dynamic damping) for reasons only known to BMW. VSS and performance control would not cost anything like $1400 together, more like $700

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 12:53 AM   #50
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
Unfortunatly, Juddholland does not work for BMW so while his explanation is detailed, it doesn't explain why when using sport mode with no dhp and sap on a 35i makes the steering change to a heavier, tighter mode and without question, bumps are felt waaaay more than in normal mode. Looks like I'm now going to have to take Le Chef and Juddholland for a spin when I'm back in Chicago. Either that, or maybe I should guess at what having DHP feels like and let them know how their vehicle responds without having that option myself. That is what it boils down to. Unless you are driving a 35i without DHP and have felt the change in Sport Mode, you are just offering an opinion based on what you read, not what you are actually feeling when you drive it. This is
WTT, I completely agree that there's no substitute for real life experience but can you be 100% certain you don't have DHP? I think you've been asked already and you definitely haven't but I can't remember

The steering is variable sports steering which is separate unless you're not supposed to have this option either. I don't think you'd get Sport/Sport+ modes at all if you had no damping control and no variable sports steering

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 02:32 AM   #51
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
You can't switch performance control on or off. It's permanently on. In fact it's all a bit Emperor's New Clothes as there is no easy way to prove your car has it, certainly the dealer couldn't (but then that's no great surprise). I know I paid for it!

OK, DDC = Dynamic Drive Control in this context not dynamic damping control or variable damping control (VDC). You do have Dynamic Drive Control otherwise you wouldn't have Normal/Sport/Sport+ modes. You have Dynamic Drive Control because it's always included when you have Variable Sports Steering or VDC (you have VSS). It has to be included with VSS or you'd have no way to easily change the tightness of the steering when driving.

The DDC abbreviation doesn't help as it can mean two completely different things: Dynamic Drive Control and Dynamic Damping Control. In the UK though it's usually called Variable Damper Control which makes it easier to to distinguish.

Call it Variable Damper Control or Dynamic Damping Control but they are both misleading because including this option gives you both dynamic changes in your suspension which happen automatically, and also a user configurable ability to vary the firmness of the suspension. So perhaps it should be called Dynamic Variable Damping Control
Great that helps, I'd not realised that PC was always on.
      09-16-2011, 04:35 AM   #52
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

So, now, under "Safety and Security" in the "Model Highlights" the BMW USA page provides:

Electronic Damping Control
Electronic Damping Control lets you easily switch between the NORMAL, SPORT or SPORT+ gear settings with just the push of a button. Using the data collected by sensors, the Electronic Damping Control calculates the best setting for each individual wheel and continually adjusts its suspension accordingly.

This shows integration of the manual and automatic aspects of adjusting the suspension on the X3 (I think; the word "gear" seems a poor choice here). Unfortunately, I can't seem to find anywhere on the page how one gets this on their car. It's not listed in the Standard Features, and it's not shown as an element of a package that I could find.
      09-16-2011, 05:45 AM   #53
h0mersimps0n
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 35i M-Sport Carbon Black

DHP was a tough decision for me but I decided to take the $1500 and save it for the downpayment I want to put on a CPO 135i in the spring. Little Dinan chippage puts the 135 at 50hp over the 1M... True story
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 06:14 AM   #54
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
WTT, I completely agree that there's no substitute for real life experience but can you be 100% certain you don't have DHP? I think you've been asked already and you definitely haven't but I can't remember

The steering is variable sports steering which is separate unless you're not supposed to have this option either. I don't think you'd get Sport/Sport+ modes at all if you had no damping control and no variable sports steering
No, I don't have DHP unless they decided to give it to me for free! In the U.S., if you have a 35i with SAP you get the switch for normal, sport and sport + modes.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 10:00 AM   #55
Horsedoc67
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 35i Z4 2011 X3 35i

The window sticker reads:

Dynamic Handling Package $1300.00
-Variable sport steering
Dynamic Damper Control & Performance Control are part of the M Sport Package & I assume the SAP as well
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 10:29 AM   #56
h0mersimps0n
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 35i M-Sport Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
No, I don't have DHP unless they decided to give it to me for free! In the U.S., if you have a 35i with SAP you get the switch for normal, sport and sport + modes.
sigh - just because you have "the switch" for sport/sport+ does NOT mean you have dynamic dampening control - it's been discussed and said many times different ways - DDC (or VDC) ONLY comes if you order DHP.

SAP or MSPORT packages DO NOT include DDC (VDC) or variable steering...

"the switch" is your "performance control" that comes with the SAP/MSport and only adjusts chassis (not suspension) and throttle/shift points.

If you want to know for sure if BMW snuck DDC in on your vehicle just look at the front struts and see if there are any sensors/wires coming out of them. Others have posted pictures of what DHP struts look like plus there are diagrams online parts catalogues that show the difference as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 12:05 PM   #57
Itchywasabi
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

just get it... its only $1,400.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 12:08 PM   #58
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Does anyone find it strange that Dynamic Dampening is no longer listed under the DHP description? I emailed my CA asking about it, no response yet.

Dynamic Handling Package
• Variable sport steering
• Performance Control
? Where did Dynamic Damper Control go?
      09-16-2011, 12:44 PM   #59
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0mersimps0n View Post
sigh - just because you have "the switch" for sport/sport+ does NOT mean you have dynamic dampening control - it's been discussed and said many times different ways - DDC (or VDC) ONLY comes if you order DHP.

SAP or MSPORT packages DO NOT include DDC (VDC) or variable steering...

"the switch" is your "performance control" that comes with the SAP/MSport and only adjusts chassis (not suspension) and throttle/shift points.

If you want to know for sure if BMW snuck DDC in on your vehicle just look at the front struts and see if there are any sensors/wires coming out of them. Others have posted pictures of what DHP struts look like plus there are diagrams online parts catalogues that show the difference as well.
I never said or thought I had DHP. SOMEONE ASKED IF I DID. This thread is getting REALLY old.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 02:31 PM   #60
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchywasabi View Post
just get it... its only $1,400.

get it already!
      09-16-2011, 02:36 PM   #61
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0mersimps0n View Post
It's actually Dynamic Drive Control that gives you the Normal/Sport/Sport+ switch, not performance control. Performance Control relates to adjusting power to the wheels:

Quote:
BMW Performance Control.

No two journeys are identical: in a curve, the outer wheels have a longer path than the inner. BMW Performance Control takes on this challenges and uses it to create a more dynamic driving experience by controlling each wheel individually.

In modern automobiles, the wheels on an axle are connected by a differential – a special gear that adjusts for this difference in length. BMW Performance Control takes this individual control a step further by changing engine output and if necessary applying braking force: the outer wheels get greater drive power, the inner less, and all four can engage with maximum traction. The BMW X3 literally drives into the curve, for an even greater sense of dynamic driving and excelling stability.

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 10:53 PM   #62
Penso di no
lapsed
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
So, now, under "Safety and Security" in the "Model Highlights" the BMW USA page provides:

Electronic Damping Control
Electronic Damping Control lets you easily switch between the NORMAL, SPORT or SPORT+ gear settings with just the push of a button. Using the data collected by sensors, the Electronic Damping Control calculates the best setting for each individual wheel and continually adjusts its suspension accordingly.

This shows integration of the manual and automatic aspects of adjusting the suspension on the X3 (I think; the word "gear" seems a poor choice here). Unfortunately, I can't seem to find anywhere on the page how one gets this on their car. It's not listed in the Standard Features, and it's not shown as an element of a package that I could find.
Is this the new name for Dynamic Damping Control AKA Variable Damping Control? It used to be in the Dynamic Handling Package, but I can't find it anywhere, either.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2011, 11:01 PM   #63
Penso di no
lapsed
Rep
Drives: Yes

This is nuts. The only features listed on DHP now are VSS (Variable Sports Steering) and PC (Performance Control). DDC/VDC used to be listed, but isn't anymore, though the price didn't change. If you get M-Sport, PC is included and you get $100 off DHP, which maybe only gets you VSS.

What is VSS anyway? I've read the description, but how is it different from this feature listed as Standard? "Servotronic vehicle-speed-sensitive power steering".

So is VSS just "sportier"?

Side note: On PC, it sounds like the $100 buys you a software setting, but not the ability to set it (it's just always on). Is that right?

So do you really get anything at all for your $1300/1400 bucks?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 01:05 AM   #64
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penso di no View Post
This is nuts. The only features listed on DHP now are VSS (Variable Sports Steering) and PC (Performance Control). DDC/VDC used to be listed, but isn't anymore, though the price didn't change. If you get M-Sport, PC is included and you get $100 off DHP, which maybe only gets you VSS.
It's a mistake. You do get dynamic damping too. It wouldn't cost this much otherwise. The dynamic damping is the most expensive component. It's about $1400 on its own in the UK

Quote:
What is VSS anyway? I've read the description, but how is it different from this feature listed as Standard? "Servotronic vehicle-speed-sensitive power steering".So is VSS just "sportier"?
Servotronic steering is part of VSS. You can get just servo without VSS in the UK. The VSS part gives you the Normal/Sport modes through dynamic drive control. The difference is that a la perf control, servo is permanently on and adjustments are automatic. VSS allows you to switch to Sport and tighten up the steering

Quote:
Side note: On PC, it sounds like the $100 buys you a software setting, but not the ability to set it (it's just always on). Is that right?
Could just be software but yes, it is permanently switched on

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 06:30 AM   #65
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Quote:
This is nuts. The only features listed on DHP now are VSS (Variable Sports Steering) and PC (Performance Control). DDC/VDC used to be listed, but isn't anymore, though the price didn't change.
My CA returned my email today. He doesn't know why Dynamic Dampening is no longer listed as being in DHP. His regional manager didn't know either and escalated the question to his BMW NA rep.

Last edited by Dukat; 09-17-2011 at 01:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 11:38 AM   #66
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

To the OP. I was in your similar situation. Finally what swayed me into getting it was this: I spent so long reading through posts trying to determine if I wanted it. I kept going back and forth. In the end it's not worth worrying about so much so I just got it so I wont regret it in the future and could stop sweating over it.

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0