BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-31-2011, 07:52 AM   #1
wb47
Rep
Drives: N/A

When will the N20s Come?

Hey guys,

I want to buy the current 28i in-line 6 (In Australia) but will I be able to get a considerable discount for the fact that the current 28i is being replaced?

I'm looking to buy around March - April of 2012, will the production of this model already been discontinued by that time?

Also will the N20 Turbo 4 Cylinder keep the same model name xDrive 28i? or will it be changed?

Thank You.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 09:39 AM   #2
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb47 View Post
Hey guys,

I want to buy the current 28i in-line 6 (In Australia) but will I be able to get a considerable discount for the fact that the current 28i is being replaced?
Pure speculation, but pricing could go the other way with demand from drivers who want the extra (2) cylinders and the smoothness of an inline six cylinder engine and don't want the extra complexity of a turbo. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a big discount on a N52.

Given the choice between a N52's electric motor smoothness and reliability, and a N20's 10-15% better fuel efficiency at the same price, I'd go with the N52. If fuel efficiency is your top priority, buy a Prius.

Further speculation dictates that the N20 will be called the X3 27i (28i - (2) cylinders + (1) turbocharger).

Last edited by Lotus7; 10-31-2011 at 10:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 11:49 AM   #3
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
Pure speculation, but pricing could go the other way with demand from drivers who want the extra (2) cylinders and the smoothness of an inline six cylinder engine and don't want the extra complexity of a turbo. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a big discount on a N52.

Given the choice between a N52's electric motor smoothness and reliability, and a N20's 10-15% better fuel efficiency at the same price, I'd go with the N52. If fuel efficiency is your top priority, buy a Prius.

Further speculation dictates that the N20 will be called the X3 27i (28i - (2) cylinders + (1) turbocharger).
Here the 2.0 gasoline turbo is just called 2.0i "TwinPower".

And that might become the most wanted X3 here as diesel will have 0,13€ per litre extra tax starting from next year. And 2.0i will be couple of thousands cheaper than 2.0d, even though 2.0d is taxed less thanks to its smaller CO2 value.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 01:11 PM   #4
wb47
Rep

Quote:

Thank you for your responses,

Lotus7 you really know everything.

But my main concern is will this engine still be available by april of next year? Seeing it's pure speculation I hope i will still be able to build a new X3
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 04:49 PM   #5
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:

But my main concern is will this engine still be available by april of next year? Seeing it's pure speculation I hope i will still be able to build a new X3
We know that MY2012 production (with N52) will stop in March 2012. I think it is safe to assume that April 2012 will begin X3s with the N20. At that point, all other cars will have moved off the N52 and to the N20.

528i: already using N20
Z4 Sdrive28i: already using N20
F30 328i: will be using N20 starting with Feb 2012 production

If we go by what happened with the Z4 28i when it moved from the N52 to the N20, there was a base price increase of $1200.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 04:50 PM   #6
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for your responses,
Lotus7 you really know everything...
Far, far from it, but my wife really knows everything.
As noted above, my comments here are pure speculation, and not entirely serious. I have no idea about availability or model numbering for the N 20 in Australia, and suspect that no one outside of BMW knows either.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 12:13 AM   #7
Penso di no
lapsed
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
We know that MY2012 production (with N52) will stop in March 2012. I think it is safe to assume that April 2012 will begin X3s with the N20. At that point, all other cars will have moved off the N52 and to the N20.
I'm hoping that in the US we get clarification on N20 and 35d availability at the Detroit show in January, as I'm currently planning to get a new vehicle in late March or early April.

I believe that the N20 is already available (or at least announced) in its less powerful 20i configuration in Europe. It's possible that the i4 28i will be available in the current production run (that ends in March, as SamS pointed out), but that seems unlikely for the US. Don't know about Oz.

For me, the improved mileage packaged with increased torque sustained across a wider RPM range is attractive. BMW NA i6 engines are awesome, but that doesn't mean the i4 turbos won't be, too, though with the added complexity of course there's more to break. I'm no expert like Lotus, so take it for what it's worth. I realize that my opinion might only be important to me.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 01:19 AM   #8
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penso di no View Post
I'm hoping that in the US we get clarification on N20 and 35d availability at the Detroit show in January, as I'm currently planning to get a new vehicle in late March or early April.

I believe that the N20 is already available (or at least announced) in its less powerful 20i configuration in Europe. It's possible that the i4 28i will be available in the current production run (that ends in March, as SamS pointed out), but that seems unlikely for the US. Don't know about Oz.

For me, the improved mileage packaged with increased torque sustained across a wider RPM range is attractive. BMW NA i6 engines are awesome, but that doesn't mean the i4 turbos won't be, too, though with the added complexity of course there's more to break. I'm no expert like Lotus, so take it for what it's worth. I realize that my opinion might only be important to me.
Obviously BMW has great faith in the future of the N20 configuration. It is, or will be the base engine for several different lines and BMW will have to sell a lot of them to bring it's corporate fuel consumption numbers up to meet its US EPA requirements in 2012 and beyond. It will undoubtedly be a great engine. It’s using all the technology of the N55 (Dual scroll turbo, Double VANOS, High-Pressure direct injection plus it has balance shafts) in an engine that has 0.66X the displacement of a N55, but is rated at 0.80X the N55’s power. Smaller displacement and higher boost (the N55 runs at about 9.5 to 10.0 psi and the N20 will have to run at around 15 psi to make 240 HP) seems to be the current solution for most manufacturers.

I love the technology (I own a 35i (N55) after all) but am somewhat nostalgic about seeing BMW moving away from the I-6 configuration. However, there are existing technological solutions for the additional vibration modes of an I-4 (twin balance shafts and hydraulic dynamic motor mounts ala Honda and Porsche) so the increased vibration may wind up being a non-issue.

I would never discourage anyone from purchasing a N20 equipped X3, but I might be a little hesitant to get one of the very first ones unless I were someone who can be tolerant of a few “teething” problems.

Now, if BMW could only find a way to squeeze (2) N20s together in a single block as a 480 HP "straight-8" and offer it in a X3, I'd be first in line to order one!

Last edited by Lotus7; 11-01-2011 at 01:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 02:58 AM   #9
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

wb47 - the thing you must remember is that it is unlikely we in Australia will get any N20 engined X3 at the same time that overseas markets get these. Its likely to be at least 3-4 months later when a production slot opens up for RHD models. So if the US market get their N20 X3s in March/April, I would not expect to see them in Australia before the second half of next year.

When they do get here, I don't see BMW Australia spec-ing them up in the same manner as the the current 28i - ie I don't see them trying to sell a what is a 4 cylinder-engined car (albeit turbo-charged) at 6 cylinder prices. I expect the N20 X3 will be used as a price-leader with much the same price and spec level as the current 20d. In my mind - this leaves open the possibility of them bringing in the 35i as a highly spec'ed model with a price tag to match. As I may have said previously - pure speculation on my part.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 03:58 AM   #10
wb47
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brissim View Post
wb47 - the thing you must remember is that it is unlikely we in Australia will get any N20 engined X3 at the same time that overseas markets get these. Its likely to be at least 3-4 months later when a production slot opens up for RHD models. So if the US market get their N20 X3s in March/April, I would not expect to see them in Australia before the second half of next year.

When they do get here, I don't see BMW Australia spec-ing them up in the same manner as the the current 28i - ie I don't see them trying to sell a what is a 4 cylinder-engined car (albeit turbo-charged) at 6 cylinder prices. I expect the N20 X3 will be used as a price-leader with much the same price and spec level as the current 20d. In my mind - this leaves open the possibility of them bringing in the 35i as a highly spec'ed model with a price tag to match. As I may have said previously - pure speculation on my part.

Tony
Thanks, another worry is that my son will also use the car but he is only on his red P's here in NSW and they cant drive a turbo, so if the N20s come out with the same name wouldn't he be pulled over quite a few times?

Thanks Again.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 03:59 PM   #11
jsublime
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW X3 28i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Now, if BMW could only find a way to squeeze (2) N20s together in a single block as a 480 HP "straight-8" and offer it in a X3, I'd be first in line to order one!
They did, except it's a V and it's in the M5 putting out 560 HP
      11-02-2011, 11:44 PM   #12
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

wb47 - this might answer some of your questions

http://www.caradvice.com.au/144143/b...-in-australia/

It will be called the "20i" and they say it will be here next month. Bit of a surprise to me - I wasn't expecting it until well into next year. No word on how long the current 28i will continue for.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 12:17 AM   #13
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
ha so it may be called the 20i after all. If they do that, they can potentially introduce it prior to the end of the 2012 run in March or whenever you all say it is....like they did 35d.

watch BMW call it the 20i in the X3 while its still the 328, 528, etc in the car lines - just to F w/ our brains even more. or better yet call it 28i in the US and 20i in Australia.

If the N20 engine does even better at power/mileage from a 4 turbo than the Audi 2.0T (which does well at both) - its going to be alot of fun.

If it has turbo lag like the Acura RDX does, buckle up!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 01:12 AM   #14
Penso di no
lapsed
Rep
Drives: Yes

Note that the 20i designation isn't just "what it's called", it's also meaningful. In 20i form the N20 generates 135kW (180hp) while in 28i form (like in the 528i and the Z4 28i) it generates around 180kW (240hp). Different turbos and other tuning make the difference. The good news is with that little turbo the 20i will probably have basically no lag.
Appreciate 0