BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-19-2011, 02:57 PM   #1
cooldude00
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3 2.0d

VDC? performance control etc? confused

hi

can anyone explain the differences between performance control, servotronic power steering, VDC and variable sport steering?

i get the basics from the brochure on VDC and servotronic steering but the other 2 doesn't seem to be explained?

just interested in finding out more as it looks like quite a few folks have specced up these options esp the VDC.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 03:08 PM   #2
VikingOne
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530e 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude00 View Post
hi

can anyone explain the differences between performance control, servotronic power steering, VDC and variable sport steering?

i get the basics from the brochure on VDC and servotronic steering but the other 2 doesn't seem to be explained?

just interested in finding out more as it looks like quite a few folks have specced up these options esp the VDC.

thanks
BMW Performance Control.
No two journeys are identical: in a curve, the outer wheels have a longer path than the inner. BMW Performance Control takes on this challenges and uses it to create a more dynamic driving experience by controlling each wheel individually.
In modern automobiles, the wheels on an axle are connected by a differential – a special gear that adjusts for this difference in length. BMW Performance Control takes this individual control a step further by changing engine output and if necessary applying braking force: the outer wheels get greater drive power, the inner less, and all four can engage with maximum traction. The BMW X3 literally drives into the curve, for an even greater sense of dynamic driving and excelling stability.
Handling can also be enhanced by the Performance Control option for the xDrive all-wheel-drive system. In a turn, Performance Control applies the inside rear brake and sends more power to the outside rear tire to help the X3 corner.

Variable Sport Steering.
It features a conical steering gear that makes the steering ratio quicker as the driver turns farther off center. This means that tight turns, like decreasing radius freeway on-ramps, require less steering movement, giving drivers more precise control. We like it, as well as the natural feel of the X3's steering. The steering is also nicely weighted, and the Sport and Sport Plus modes add a little more heft.
Variable Sports Steering should not be confused with BMW's Active Steering, which varies ratio and assist depending on speed. While we like that system as well, some critics have complained that it's hard to tell when the ratio will change, making the steering unpredictable.

Previous: 2011 X3 2.0d xLine
Previous: 2015 X3 LCI 3.0d xLine
Current: 2018 530e 2L M-Sport I-Performance

Last edited by VikingOne; 02-19-2011 at 03:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 03:34 PM   #3
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

This is how I understand the differences:

VDC and VSS both have 3 settings: Normal, Sport and Sport+ that have to be manually selected by the driver. I think VDC includes VSS because VDC effects both the suspension and the steering.

Perf Control and Servotronic Steering are both either switched on or off. They are both dynamic depending on the vehicle's speed and direction. PC dynamically changes the power to the wheels when cornering as described above. SS is as per

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...rvotronic.html

I couldn't see enough advantage in getting VDC on a 2 litre diesel engine. On the 2.8 or 3.5 petrol, I would probably get it. I have both PC and SS on my order.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0