BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-17-2021, 11:42 AM   #23
LJC-E83
Rep
Drives: BMW E83 X3 3.0i / BMW E88 120D

Hi All,
Newbie member here today, recently bought my 04 E83 from Copart Auction and have had this lift kit in my amazon wishlist:
https://www.amazon.com/Tema4x4-Compl...4488722&sr=8-4
However, Ive managed to fit large all terrain tyres (255/60/18) to OE rims without a LIFT so will probably avoid the quoted 10hour installation via a garage bill now... Just thought I'd share in case helps any other members in their decision making or parts sourcing on the lift kit. The lift kit is listed on ebay also at a a similar price from memory.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 05:52 PM   #24
DenverSteve
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckJon View Post
Just curious as I am not a big fan of the X3 but was thinking the other day that it could look pretty sweet with a lift. Was trying to find some pics but haven't had any luck.
If you're not a fan of the X3 - then you won't be a fan of a lifted X3. Why ask?

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltron1011 View Post
I don't think it can be lifted much more... Remember it's based on a 3 series, so I'm not sure how much farther those independent control arms and struts can travel.
It could be lifted a couple of inches by body lift and a couple of inches by wheel/tire lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter399 View Post
this is a joke...right?
Hopefully. It would be completely illogical. If you want a lifted vehicle, then buy a Wrangler and lift it for a top-tier off-road vehicle not a butchered luxury vehicle pretending off road.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 10:19 AM   #25
TK0083
Poland
Rep
Drives: X3

[QUOTE=FoX3;28148970]I used E53 springs instead of spacer. Did the trick well with more travel. As for lowering the diff, you can space the center support bearing and the rear subframe pretty easily. Front is a bit trickier due to it mounting differently. If you have more questions, message my IG @Baja_Bimmer[/QUOTE

Hey FoX3

Thanks for the info, did you use the E53 springs front and rear? What amount of lift did you manage to get with this combination?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 10:21 AM   #26
TK0083
Poland
Rep

Hey LJC-E83

The tyres look good on your E83. They are pretty tight around your fenders. Any issues with rubbing?
Some guys say the DSC goes crazy when making tight turns. Have you had any issues?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 04:34 AM   #27
LJC-E83
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK0083 View Post
Hey LJC-E83

The tyres look good on your E83. They are pretty tight around your fenders. Any issues with rubbing?
Some guys say the DSC goes crazy when making tight turns. Have you had any issues?
Hi,
Thanks. No DSC issues or dash lights etc.
Front tyres rubbing on full lock (shiny patches front and back on the plastic arch liner), sadly which has led to an MOT fail point.
Before swapping the tyres for a lesser width and profile, I'm going to have the 30mm TEMA-4x4 lift kit installed to see if it cures the front rubbing and allows me to keep the Grabbers on (image attached as it was delivered today).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 02:20 AM   #28
TK0083
Poland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJC-E83 View Post
Hi,
Thanks. No DSC issues or dash lights etc.
Front tyres rubbing on full lock (shiny patches front and back on the plastic arch liner), sadly which has led to an MOT fail point.
Before swapping the tyres for a lesser width and profile, I'm going to have the 30mm TEMA-4x4 lift kit installed to see if it cures the front rubbing and allows me to keep the Grabbers on (image attached as it was delivered today).
How did the tema lift kit go? Any updates? Would love to see what it looks like now.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 03:29 AM   #29
LJC-E83
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK0083 View Post
How did the tema lift kit go? Any updates? Would love to see what it looks like now.
Hi, thanks for the follow-up. Sadly, my trusty mobile mechanic (I'm not mechanically skilled or able) tried and failed on fitting of the the rear end lift kit components.
He advised that it was going to be a very tough job due to the space required for the section insertions and that he was unable to fit. He did comment that the fronts posed no issue though.
So, reluctantly I sold the kit on (and my huge all terrain wheels & tyres also) and returned my X3 to its factory wheels and tyres, so as to cure the front rubbing and be MOT test legal.
So I'm back to square one with a little egg on my face and much disappointment
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2022, 12:56 PM   #30
AlexanderTheNotSoGreat
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 Bmw x3 e83

I found a Video about a x3 lifted looks pretty clean

Looks pretty clean!!!!

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 09:22 AM   #31
LJC-E83
Rep

Liked & Subscribed - Epic Video & Great work on the lifted X3, looks mighty capable off-road now.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 02:45 AM   #32
Tallest
Major General
Rep
Drives: 911

Garage List
2011 911  [10.00]
I like how half replies are sh.tting on the idea with silly snobbery and outrage, while others are like just posting stuff. Beautiful to watch. Also subbed, if I see a nicely slightly beefed up for offroad X3 I might get one also. Good cars they are. LIghten up people. It can be done right, and some want to see if so.

X3 was a cool car in Dakar spec once. I dont mind seeing someone take it to that level. Much better Xdrive on it than on an estate cars of same years.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 06:40 AM   #33
TK0083
Poland
Rep

Its good to see some people are interested in this.

Its been done before and you can the find the articles on the Hartage X3 and X5 here are a couple of links to the articles.

http://www.zercustoms.com/news/Hartg...er-BMW-X3.html

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-ne...3-ar49425.html

Some interesting info comes up in the various write ups for this vehicle. Here are some points.
  1. Increased ride height from 20cm to 23cm
  2. 10mm spacers installed on the front suspension
  3. 255/55 R 18 All terrain tyres (29 inch)
  4. HARTGE´s “CLASSIC 2“ light alloy rims (Pn37-902-386) 8.5x18 ET40
  5. The necessary ground clearance of 23 cm is provided by longer spring/damper units.
  6. It is also capable of climbing slopes up to 48 degrees and is 'certified' to wade through waters of 50cm and has an axle articulation index of 63 percent.
  7. The axle drive ratio has been shortened
  8. Automatic differential locks have been added at the front and rear
  9. Stainless steel underbody covers for the engine, gearbox, transmission shafts and exhaust system have been added.

After a lot of research,
I cannot find a longer strut or spring to fit the E83.
There is no automatic locking diff to fit any BMW available on the market. Its possible Hartage used a Helical or clutch type LSD that fits that housing.

It does make sense that they would go to a shorter axle ratio running the larger tyres.
The E83 and E53 have the same front diff (168mm clamshell type)if you are considering changing ratios.
The E83 primarily runs a 188mm rear diff. The 3.0SD version runs a 210mm rear diff.

Here is a link to a video posted by Hartage

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...850A20FFDC886B

And another link to an X3 with a 3 inch lift. Unfortunately not too much info was shared by this guy on what was used to get the lift. One interesting thing is the rear edge of the side steps was trimmed to allow tyre clearance for those huge tyres.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqrCg-4a1IQ

I hope to see some nicely set up X3's soon
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2022, 01:39 PM   #34
Jord20vt
Registered
Rep
Drives: E83 X3 2.0d, Porsche 986

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJC-E83 View Post
Hi, thanks for the follow-up. Sadly, my trusty mobile mechanic (I'm not mechanically skilled or able) tried and failed on fitting of the the rear end lift kit components.
He advised that it was going to be a very tough job due to the space required for the section insertions and that he was unable to fit. He did comment that the fronts posed no issue though.
So, reluctantly I sold the kit on (and my huge all terrain wheels & tyres also) and returned my X3 to its factory wheels and tyres, so as to cure the front rubbing and be MOT test legal.
So I'm back to square one with a little egg on my face and much disappointment

I believe I may of purchased this kit from you via ebay. .. Cant say the rears were easy to fit, they were not. Had to drop the subframe, shout and scream them into place. Im a fairly average DIYer and had the fronts and rears fitted up in just over 5 hours, but was very worth it. Would recommend getting another kit, and have another go at it 👌
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2022, 01:53 PM   #35
Jord20vt
Registered
Rep
Drives: E83 X3 2.0d, Porsche 986

Roughly 3" taller than it was standard. All terrain tyres along with a tema4x4 lift kit. Genuinely does very well off road, it gets used incredibly hard and just shruggs it off. Usually the hardcore 4x4 guys have a bit of a laugh at it initially, and by the end of the day are pleasantly surprised and commend it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-17-2022, 01:15 AM   #36
LJC-E83
Rep

Hey there, yeah I did sell my Tema kit on via ebay.
Brilliant to see it fitted and in-use too.
Your lifted X3 looks great, kudos on handling the install yourself, you now have yourself a rare beast.
Really good to read/hear that its holding its own under off-road action
Appreciate 0