BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-23-2020, 08:24 AM   #1
Rdavenport89
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3 xdrive28i

Headlight replacement

I'm wanting to replace one of my headlights. Is removing the front bumper the only way to change it out? Or does anyone know a shortcut for changing it out without completely removing the bumper? If you do have to remove it, anybody got a good tutorial on how to do it?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 09:02 AM   #2
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
following
Current: 2020 X5 x40i M-Sport, Arctic Grey Metallic / Ivory White, Executive Package, Luggage Compartment Package, Integral Active Steering, Tow Package, Parking Assist Package, Driving Assist Package, M-Sport brakes, Tux Mats
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 10:31 AM   #3
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

don't know a shortcut....take a look here https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...light/EPbAfFOD NewTIS.info for step by step, note hotlink for 'preliminary tasks'.

Last edited by Wgosma; 09-23-2020 at 10:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 04:53 PM   #4
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
The bumper needs to come off, sorry, no short cuts. The bumper comes off in 5 minutes with power tools, grab a helper since it's awkwardly large.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2020, 07:15 PM   #5
one9kilo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW F25

I just removed my front bumper on my 2014 F25 and it took much longer than 5 mins because I didn't know what I was doing. Even if I did, I would think 10-15 minutes would be reasonable.

I'll try to explain it the best I can without pictures.

Tools (from what I remember):
-small socket wrench
-8mm socket
-10mm socket
-T25 and T30 (one of those or both I don't remember)
-Pry tool for plastic clips.

Easy Part:
-Remove rubber strip on top of the bumper to get to the Torque screws. Remove screws.
-Remove 8mm screws on the bottom (there's a bunch) that attaches to the undercarriage cover.

Fender area:
-Remove the plastic clips with the prying tool to detach the fender flares from the fender. Remove the clips but don't detach flares yet because you really can't.
-Remove the wheel well cover (you might not have to remove the whole thing but it was 10x easier with the whole thing out of the way). There are 3 10mm plastic nuts and the rest are 8mm. There are plastic clips that needs to be remove near the air vents.
-Once the wheel well cover is out, you now can detach the fender flares by pushing "down" on 3 tabs from the inner side (you don't have to remove the whole flare, just enough to detach if from the bumper... half removal if that makes sense).
-Now, from the inside where the bumper meets the fender, there will be 2 10mm bolts that you have to remove. This removes the bumper from the fender.
-Repeat the same process with the other side.

Last and tricky part:
-There are 2 T30 screws inside the kidney grill area (one on the left side and one of the right--9 o'clock and 3 o'clock position). Using a small socket wrench, insert the wrench in of the kidney slots to break and loosen up the screw. Then remove the screw by hand.
-The tricky part is when you have to put it back together. The way to make it easier when installing is to remove one of the kidney grills. BUT it was a pain to remove the dang grill itself. You can try the install without removing the grill but you risk dropping the screw and then having to take the bumper off again.

Anyways, at this point the bumper is ready to be lifted off. Detach cables if you need to. I hope my writing makes sense.

TL/DR:
-Remove torques on top bumper
-Remove 8mm screws on bottom bumper
-Remove plastic clips on fender flare
-Remove wheel well cover
-Detach fender flare from bumper
-Remove nuts to detach inside bumper to fender
-Remove 2 torque screws inside kidney are
-DONE

Last edited by one9kilo; 09-24-2020 at 07:19 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Appreciate 2