BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #45
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurisprudent View Post
Clive - Could you elaborate a bit more on what you did with the strip?
I just removed the strip then pushed the plastic area around a little. I didn't even loosen any screws. The I replaced the rubber strip. I just "messed" with it. It's still quiet.
      12-01-2012, 09:36 AM   #46
gareth3685
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2.0D

Anyone found the cause of this squeak/rattle sound yet?

As the weather has got colder I've definitely noticed its got louder and slightly different in sound.

Would love to get rid of this sound, hopefully I don't need to wait until the summer to lose it.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 07:56 AM   #47
Jurisprudent
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 335i M-Sport

Still battling this noise. Have taken it to the dealer and they of course don't hear it. I'm confident that it is the cowling. I think it is contacting the strut brace and making the noise, but not sure...
      01-29-2013, 07:20 AM   #48
CPH79KPH
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey X28i

Possible remedy

I've had mine in the shop for a similar noise. After several trips to the dealer, they called in the BMW rep for our area. Sure enough, BMW is aware of the issue and gave them the proper instructions. They had to remove the front unit compartment partition wall to check for wear marks. They were present. They replaced the partition wall and the problem has been completely eliminated.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 09:45 AM   #49
noka
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 x35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH79KPH View Post
I've had mine in the shop for a similar noise. After several trips to the dealer, they called in the BMW rep for our area. Sure enough, BMW is aware of the issue and gave them the proper instructions. They had to remove the front unit compartment partition wall to check for wear marks. They were present. They replaced the partition wall and the problem has been completely eliminated.
What will prevent future "wear" and more noise later?
      01-29-2013, 12:45 PM   #50
CPH79KPH
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by noka View Post
What will prevent future "wear" and more noise later?
Apparently there is a plate that runs from outside the car to the inside of the car that was faulty. The outside portion channels water. I'm hoping that because the part was defective, the new part is not. It's been over a month and I haven't heard a peep. However, my car has been in the shop for a month total for loud rubbing noises around the doors. The seals around the doors have been completely replaced, however, the issue is still present. Does anyone have any experience with this issue? I have to take it in again for the fourth time to have this issue reviewed. It's driving the techs nuts because they can't pin it down. It gets REALLY LOUD when it gets humid outside. They thought replacing all of the rubber around the doors would solve the problem. Not so. We'll see.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 05:44 PM   #51
Jurisprudent
Second Lieutenant
Rep

At least your dealer acknowledges noises. I'm struggling to just get beyond "could not duplicate" as a standard response...
      01-29-2013, 05:47 PM   #52
Jurisprudent
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
What are you referring to when you talk about the partition wall? Are you referring to the black cowling & the entire assembly around the wipers?
      01-29-2013, 07:00 PM   #53
noka
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
At least your dealer acknowledges noises. I'm struggling to just get beyond "could not duplicate" as a standard response...
Maybe have your dealer call his dealer, if they would be willing.

Last edited by noka; 01-30-2013 at 06:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 01:08 AM   #54
JensM
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 M40D 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by JensM View Post
Update on my 'rattling'
I found out mine was also coming from the location where we have already now seen some pictures - when opening the hood and just pressing on the plastic below the windscreen it was easy to hear.
Before I got the chance to do something by my self, I had a small stone hitting the windscreen. I went to the appointed repair shop, both my self and they thought it was easy to repair, but after an examination they said the small crass in the glass was too big to repair and a new windscreen was needed. They changed the wind scree and by this operation they had to take all the mentioned plastic parts apart - and guess what: after assembling again the rattling have disappeared :thump:
A cupel of days after there were however a new rattle bt this time it came from the A-pillar, but after pressing on it quite hard it disappeared again. Now after two weeks and +3500 km (a long drive to Denmark and back again) there is still no rattles at all - I am very happy now
Update.
Mine have now been completely silence since above "fix". It appears that the noise was coming from the plastic parts below the screen & wipers.
Rgds
JensM
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 06:45 AM   #55
noka
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

It might be helpful if people post service order details, including parts used, plus any SIB that might get issued.
      01-30-2013, 08:04 AM   #56
CPH79KPH
Rep

Quote:
What are you referring to when you talk about the partition wall? Are you referring to the black cowling & the entire assembly around the wipers?
I'm assuming that they had to remove that to perform the fix. Here is the detail on my repair order:

Creaking noise located in center of dash, ran short test and non electrical diagnosis for noise. Test plan states to remove front unit compartment partition wall and check for wear marks. Marks are present. Test plan states to replace partition wall DC D5140-MX000000-28-002. Ran test module, replaced partition wall for unit's compartment and test drove. No noise heard from dash after replacement.

That last sentence is still true. I do not have the rustling noise. They describe it as creaking above, but it was a rustling noise, not a creak. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 08:54 PM   #57
Jurisprudent
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks - I sent them your previous post and have not received a response. I'll wait to send your later info, as they already think I'm crazy. Perhaps I am... but this is driving me there.
      02-14-2013, 12:45 PM   #58
3Bimmer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

My X3 is at the dealer today to try and get this issue resolved. I'll post an update later with more info. Fingers crossed!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 07:15 PM   #59
Jurisprudent
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Curious...
      02-15-2013, 05:53 PM   #60
3Bimmer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Bimmer View Post
My X3 is at the dealer today to try and get this issue resolved. I'll post an update later with more info. Fingers crossed!
Dealer just called. The car is in the programming bay getting a map and software update. Why does this take so long? It is 2013 for goodness sake! I'm pretty sure that computers are fast enough now to do this more efficiently.

Anyway, they said they 'put teflon on some seals' and the noise has gone away. I was hoping for a more definitive fix like "we found this wire rubbing against this other wire" or something like that. Time will tell and I'll give a full report after driving the car for a bit.

This is a good shop and they do quality work, so I hope this takes care of things.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 12:24 AM   #61
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm assuming that they had to remove that to perform the fix. Here is the detail on my repair order:

Creaking noise located in center of dash, ran short test and non electrical diagnosis for noise. Test plan states to remove front unit compartment partition wall and check for wear marks. Marks are present. Test plan states to replace partition wall DC D5140-MX000000-28-002. Ran test module, replaced partition wall for unit's compartment and test drove. No noise heard from dash after replacement.

That last sentence is still true. I do not have the rustling noise. They describe it as creaking above, but it was a rustling noise, not a creak. Hope this helps.
Dont suppose your have the BMW tech note number that relates to it.. as I know I will have the same battle with the dealer, whereas if I can provide them with an article they can look up it may help

Last edited by MattUK; 02-18-2013 at 12:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 11:18 AM   #62
3Bimmer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Dealer just called. The car is in the programming bay getting a map and software update. Why does this take so long? It is 2013 for goodness sake! I'm pretty sure that computers are fast enough now to do this more efficiently.

Anyway, they said they 'put teflon on some seals' and the noise has gone away. I was hoping for a more definitive fix like "we found this wire rubbing against this other wire" or something like that. Time will tell and I'll give a full report after driving the car for a bit.

This is a good shop and they do quality work, so I hope this takes care of things.
So, after driving the car for a while, it remains very quiet. I spoke with the service manager about the changes that were made. They did not replace any parts. They checked and tightened all fasteners in the engine bay around the cowling below the windshield. They applied some teflon 'anti-squeak' tape to the contact areas. Inside the car, they applied the same to the front speaker grille and 'some other contact areas'. No part numbers or service bulletins were listed on the work order. The car has been dead quiet since, so I hope it stays that way! Sorry, guys, I wish a had a more absolute fix that I could describe so you could ask your dealers to do the same fix. The adjustments to the cowling seem to be the best approach and the service manager said they've had "a lot of issues" with this part of the car.

Unrelated service items were a Nav map update and a software update. I haven't noticed any changes in the car's performance or changes to the Nav. The auto stop/start seems to start the car without the 'shudder' others have mentioned, which is a change, but I hardly use that feature anyway. I had a very nice 5-series loaner for a couple of days, but I couldn't wait to get back into my X3!

Last edited by 3Bimmer; 02-18-2013 at 11:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 07:04 PM   #63
Jurisprudent
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So, after driving the car for a while, it remains very quiet. I spoke with the service manager about the changes that were made. They did not replace any parts. They checked and tightened all fasteners in the engine bay around the cowling below the windshield. They applied some teflon 'anti-squeak' tape to the contact areas. Inside the car, they applied the same to the front speaker grille and 'some other contact areas'. No part numbers or service bulletins were listed on the work order. The car has been dead quiet since, so I hope it stays that way! Sorry, guys, I wish a had a more absolute fix that I could describe so you could ask your dealers to do the same fix. The adjustments to the cowling seem to be the best approach and the service manager said they've had "a lot of issues" with this part of the car.

Unrelated service items were a Nav map update and a software update. I haven't noticed any changes in the car's performance or changes to the Nav. The auto stop/start seems to start the car without the 'shudder' others have mentioned, which is a change, but I hardly use that feature anyway. I had a very nice 5-series loaner for a couple of days, but I couldn't wait to get back into my X3!

Thanks. This confirms what I was thinking - I've had the most luck taking out the screws and redoing everything (but it generally only lasts a few days). Unfortunately I now have a torx bit living somewhere in my compartment because of this, but it helps...

My dealer claims they don't hear it and that they've never heard of the issue, so you're fortunate that yours acknowledges the noise. Of course, I'm also having a time getting them to acknowledge the window tapping that BMW doesn't seem to know how to NOT engineer out of its cars. Maybe BMW will issue a TSB at some point and I'll have something I can point to. Then again, I'm seeing more and more F25 X3s on the road here these days so perhaps with volume they will get a few more hits on this & more experience trying to solve it.

Really like the car and generally like my dealer, but I wish they would work/try a little harder like some of the dealers reflected in this thread. I fear we are producing more and more parts changers and less mechanics.
      03-25-2013, 11:31 AM   #64
3Bimmer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Fixed!!!!

After some digging around this weekend in my X3 and then reviewing the posts on this thread, my crunching/rustling sound has been eliminated! There is a plastic cowling that rubs on the two cross braces at the end of the engine bay, just below the windshield.

The underside of this cowling has two wear marks where it contacts the cross braces. I put some heavy duty felt tape on those points, put it all back together and no more noise! We'll see how it holds up. The dealer has been unable to resolve this, so I did a DIY.

I followed these steps:

1. Remove the large seal strip from the top of the engine bay
2. Remove the cable that runs along the base of the partition from the two steel clips holding in place. Leave the clips in place -- remove the cable by lightly bending the clips out to release the cable.
3. Remove the two torx screws shown in the picture.
4. Remove the center partition
5. Note: You can remove the two side grills on either side of the partition. It is not needed, but it may make access easier
6. After removing the partition, turn it over and check for two wear marks.
7. Cover the wear marks with felt tape. (I used the fuzzy side of velcro tape)
8. Replace the partition, insert the torx screws and put the seal back in place.
9. Enjoy a nice, quiet X3!
Attached Images

Last edited by 3Bimmer; 03-25-2013 at 11:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2013, 11:29 PM   #65
3Bimmer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

After a loooong road test today, no more noise!
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 08:41 AM   #66
ccobka
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 3.5 AW

thank you this is great and very helpful
Appreciate 0