BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #1
HopefulOwner
Registered
Rep
Drives: AmericanJunque

New to Bimmer

I am hopeful that I can acquire an 2013 X3 28i within the next 6 months. I feel that I have done my research and this vehicle would be an excellent purchase.
I come from the thrones of American made junque and feel that I deserve better than I have had in my last three vehicles. Because I coming in at the lower end due to my finances I am hopeful that the quality and workmanship of the higher models are also available on the lower models.
My brother has had great experiences with the two 5 series sedans the first of which he kept for over 10 years. He babied it and it still looked new the day he sold it. He is on his second 5-series and it is as beautiful and well working as the first one he had.
After hearing of their experiences it is hard not to consider making the switch. I was going to dip into the 2012 X3 until I heard about the 2013's improved gas mileage.

Of course, I do have some concerns. I have been in SUVs for the last 15 years. My main reasons for the purchase was safety and to escape the high waters when it does rain here. With the airbags I am hoping the safety issue will not be an issue. Concerning the high water I am not too sure how I will handle this. When it rains down here our roads easily fload and transportation comes to a sudden halt without a moments notice.

I am also hopeful in finding an accomodating dealership in my area who will respect me. I have heard several negative stories about dealerships in my area not wanting to deal with those of us who look for those vehicles on the lower end.

Suggestions/Advice would be appreciated.

Hopeful Owner
Houston, TX

Last edited by HopefulOwner; 05-13-2012 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: Mistake
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 11:49 AM   #2
HopefulOwner
Registered
Rep

Please give me some thoughts. I look forward to your responses.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 11:59 AM   #3
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Hello HopefulOwner, welcome to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulOwner View Post
After hearing of their experiences it is hard not to consider making the switch. I was going to dip into the 2012 X3 until I heard about the 2013's improved gas mileage.
The 2013 model should indeed have improved gas mileage due to the new "eco pro" mode. However, some people may or may not like the changes it has on the car so they might just end up driving the X3 in normal mode. Also you should take into consideration if there are further discounts on 2012 vs 2013 models, the price difference could potentially negate the fuel savings you experience.

Quote:
Concerning the high water I am not too sure how I will handle this. When it rains down here our roads easily fload and transportation comes to a sudden halt without a moments notice.
The X3 has a maximum fording depth of 19.6 inches, I'm not sure if thats sufficent for Texas floods.

Quote:
I am also hopeful in finding an accomodating dealership in my area who will respect me. I have heard several negative stories about dealerships in my area not wanting to deal with those of us who look for those vehicles on the lower end.
They should respect you, after all you're about to spend $40-50k on a car. It really depends on the sales associate, some are better than others and if you experience issues with them just go to another dealership preferably one of their competitors. Prior to purchasing an X3 I was actually looking at a 1 series 35i and even though the 1 series is the lowest BMW model my SA never gave me crap for it.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #4
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Do a performance center delivery and get the car from any dealer you want
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 12:59 PM   #5
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

These luxury car dealers first try to assess if you are a serious and potential buyer and then they respond accordingly. Don't worry about them, do what you want to do, if they need business, they will provide all support.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 07:49 PM   #6
HopefulOwner
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
Do a performance center delivery and get the car from any dealer you want
What is a performance center delivery? I am not quite into the car lingo this late in my life. We have about 3-4 dealerships in our city. I hope the one closest to me will be work. Their inventory is awful, though.
Last weekend they had only one X3 on the lot. Sad.

Of course, in out great state of Texas driving is not an issue so I would not hesitate to go to Dallas or San Antonio if I thought I could get a better deal.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 08:35 PM   #7
jk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 x3 35i

the x3's are selling well and there won't be many in stock. you're likely to have to order. if you don't like the way you're dealt with, call one of the bimmerfest.com sponsors. there's a guy named adrian avila in south atlanta who is well respected.

a performance center delivery means picking up your car at the spartanburg factory and having some driving exercises at the performance center nearby. it's a blast. you buy from any dealer, but do the pickup in so. carolina.

see my post here:
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=640362
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 08:49 PM   #8
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk View Post
the x3's are selling well and there won't be many in stock. you're likely to have to order. if you don't like the way you're dealt with, call one of the bimmerfest.com sponsors. there's a guy named adrian avila in south atlanta who is well respected.

a performance center delivery means picking up your car at the spartanburg factory and having some driving exercises at the performance center nearby. it's a blast. you buy from any dealer, but do the pickup in so. carolina.

see my post here:
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=640362
It is also free to do and includes and overnight stay at a local hotel with dinner and breakfast. Def. look into it!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 11:04 PM   #9
Akview
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 28i 2018 530i

Garage List
2013 X3 28i  [0.00]
I did my research too and was impressed by the new N20. I have been driving a 99 Mercedes ML320 and spent 43 for it 13 years ago and have no regrets. I compared the new X3 to the GLK and Q5 and I became convince that it offered what I wanted especially by ordering the combination of options custom to my needs. Again I will pay for those extras but I will not wonder what it would be like to have order something I wasn't willing to pay the extra for. i plan to drive it for at least the next 10 years. So I guess my advise is get what you want and shop around for a dealer who will order exactly what you want with a price you think is reasonable. I believe I got them to knock off 2grand from the MSRP and dealer mark up. I have only one dealer in my town, you should be able to check around and compare deals and do well. Good Luck

2013 X3 28i JetBlack, Oyster fine line, Premium, Connivence, Sports Activity, Technology, Winter, and Cargo Net.
Delivery this week within 5 weeks of ordering!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 04:07 AM   #10
alexg62
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akview View Post
I did my research too and was impressed by the new N20. I have been driving a 99 Mercedes ML320 and spent 43 for it 13 years ago and have no regrets. !
I went from 2000 ML430 with 265,000 miles on. I'm still keeping my ML, but maintenance becoming a cost factor. I compared exactly same models as you did and decided to go with BMW. My first BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2012, 04:41 AM   #11
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

Here in UK I have been to all the dealers in the SW and they all only had one (or none). My local dealer had sold their demo and were waiting for another - they now have one in show room and one on demo but they wont keep them for long I guess!

I always send my 25 year old daughter in first to the dealer. If she is not treated well then they are not a good dealer so I give them a wide berth. My local dealer passed with flying colours and we had many visits before we sorted out what we wanted. Nothing was to much trouble.

This too is our first "high end" car and we have certainly noticed the difference.
Appreciate 0