BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-20-2011, 03:24 PM   #1
Rainbow_007
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D (2012)

UK/EU: What do you think of these options for my X3?

Hi All,

I’m almost ready to order my very first BMW X3. After researching for a few days, I’ve ticked the options that I would like to have. I'd appreciate if you can please provide your comments on adding/deleting any of the options as I still have couple of days before I seal the deal. Here is what I've got for my X3 and I only listed the extras that I’ll be paying for and not the standard (included) options:

X3 xDrive20d SE
• Jet Black w/ Red Brown Nevada leather
• Automatic Gearbox
• Servotronic Steering
• Access package
• Windscreen with grey shade band
• xLine package
• Sun protection glass
• Ext. mirrors - folding, auto dimming
• Split-folding rear seats
• Xenon headlights
• Bluetooth hands-free with USB audio interface

I'm not sure if the navigation system is worth the money so I'll probably use my Garmin Nuvi unless otherwise you guys absolutely recommend getting the expensive NAV as part of the package?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 03:26 PM   #2
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 / 2014 520d MS

You must get at least the business speaker sound system upgrade. BMW base sound is.. bad. Always has been. I think in the US they don't even ship with basic sound- business is standard and pro is the upgrade. I assume Spain is like the UK with two levels of upgrade- get the first.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 03:38 PM   #3
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

+1 on at least business speakers

Make sure you get a trim too (wood or brushed alu) as the standard one looks cheap

On pro nav, it's ridiculously expensive but I do love the big screen and having the nav built in is infinitely better that having something stuck to your windscreen. The dash also looks better with pro nav. But it's not essential so skip it if you need to stick to a budget

I personally don't see much value in the access package as the boot is easy to close and the unlocking by touching can be intermittently problematic (from what I've read on forums) and the car is keyless start anyway. A lot of people that have it like it though

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 12:53 AM   #4
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Rainbow, looks good

Bear in mind the sun protection glass is more for style than substance and if you want to protect little ones in the rear from the sun glare you will need the rear sun blinds (ask sfax) we both went for sun glass and blinds and dont have to contend with too much sun in the UK

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 01:05 AM   #5
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMER UK 76 View Post
Rainbow, looks good

Bear in mind the sun protection glass is more for style than substance and if you want to protect little ones in the rear from the sun glare you will need the rear sun blinds (ask sfax) we both went for sun glass and blinds and dont have to contend with too much sun in the UK
Yes, definitely need sunblinds too if you have a noisy little passenger in the back. BMW sun blinds are expensive for what they are but infinitely better to having some cartoon character blind suckered to the window

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 02:06 AM   #6
Rainbow_007
No_Country
Rep

Thanks guys! Here’s the addition to the options:
• Business speakers
• Brushed aluminum trim
• sun blinds

sfax,
When you say “I personally don't see much value in the access package as the boot is easy to close and the unlocking by touching can be intermittently problematic (from what I've read on forums) and the car is keyless start anyway. A lot of people that have it like it though”, thanks for your input but can you please point me to the problems others have mentioned or you noticed? Out of this package, my only preference is auto boot but if it doesn’t give me value for the money and makes me go to workshop than I’d say no to this one…
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 02:19 AM   #7
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I'm ok with the standard speakers but then I probably have low expectations of in-car music. I'm involved in hi-fi design, building and reviewing so all the in-car distractions (noises, especially MY car) and poor acoustic environment don't make me want to pour money into upgrades. It also depends you individual view as a "good" sound.
      11-21-2011, 02:30 AM   #8
Rainbow_007
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem2 View Post
I'm ok with the standard speakers but then I probably have low expectations of in-car music. I'm involved in hi-fi design, building and reviewing so all the in-car distractions (noises, especially MY car) and poor acoustic environment don't make me want to pour money into upgrades. It also depends you individual view as a "good" sound.
clivem2, I agree with you and depending on the final list of options, I'm sure my budget constraint will kick-in and at that time I might get rid of business speakers.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 02:39 AM   #9
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25)

I would add the lower back support with electric adjustment, lumbar is it?

And PDC is a must I think.

Do you really need the x-line package? Take Performance Control instead. Maybe mudflaps as well?

And be aware, the more you think about options the more you end up spending on them. This happened to me. I thought I would need only couple of options ticked but ended up ticking worth 10 000 euros.

NOTE: I don't know what you have standard in SE models there, so I am sorry if I listed standard things here.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 03:34 AM   #10
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Some posts on comfort access reliability and security. These are mostly negative but to be fair you'll find more people raving about it than complaining about it

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540956

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598797

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc.../t-546636.html

http://www.7machine.com/bmw/31517.html

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...php?p=18402066

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 03:59 AM   #11
Rainbow_007
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Some posts on comfort access reliability and security. These are mostly negative but to be fair you'll find more people raving about it than complaining about it

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...php?p=18402066
Thanks sfax, this one looks somewhat concerning: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...php?p=18402066

Even though the comfort access sounds good if I can open door/trunk etc.. with just pulling the handle when I'm carrying baby or grocery bags but is the security really something that I should be mindful of while choosing this option?

Last edited by Rainbow_007; 11-21-2011 at 04:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 04:54 AM   #12
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow_007 View Post
Thanks sfax, this one looks somewhat concerning: http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...php?p=18402066

Even though the comfort access sounds good if I can open door/trunk etc.. with just pulling the handle when I'm carrying baby or grocery bags but is the security really something that I should be mindful of while choosing this option?
They'd have to be professional thieves with some sophisticated equipment and you could make the argument that a) if they really wanted to take it, they could with or without CA and b) the X3 is not as attractive to professional thieves as higher end cars. I just don't like the fact that you can be followed and have someone relay the code back to your car like that. They would normally have to be nearby when you unlocked the car in order to attempt to steal the codes

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 05:07 AM   #13
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

In my view it's probably more of a security risk to be standing next to your car, setting your groceries down, and fumbling through pockets or purse to find the key and unlock the door. I'd be surprised if we could find an example of a car being stolen based on exploiting Comfort Access. If we did, the occurrences of that would almost certainly be negligible compared to other crimes related to the cars and owners.
      11-21-2011, 05:11 AM   #14
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Your options sound like a nice set of stuff. I really enjoy the built-in NAV. I like not having to have something mounted to the windscreen and the cord running around. Some downsides in terms of updates and lack of Trapster and the like. If those downside become overwhelming, can always use a Garmin or iPhone-based solution later. For me the built-in has done the trick for many years now.
      11-21-2011, 05:11 AM   #15
Rainbow_007
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
They'd have to be professional thieves with some sophisticated equipment and you could make the argument that a) if they really wanted to take it, they could with or without CA and b) the X3 is not as attractive to professional thieves as higher end cars. I just don't like the fact that you can be followed and have someone relay the code back to your car like that. They would normally have to be nearby when you unlocked the car in order to attempt to steal the codes
Thanks for your kind feedback so far.

I noticed you've got xline package, how do you feel about that? I saw some debate on it. I haven't actually seen this car at the local dealership with the xline but it seems to be more stylish with the xline...
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 05:18 AM   #16
Rainbow_007
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
Your options sound like a nice set of stuff. I really enjoy the built-in NAV. I like not having to have something mounted to the windscreen and the cord running around. Some downsides in terms of updates and lack of Trapster and the like. If those downside become overwhelming, can always use a Garmin or iPhone-based solution later. For me the built-in has done the trick for many years now.
Thanks Nahoa, I agree that the external NAV is a messy solution comparing to the much nicer built-in one but my budget doesn't allow me to put this expensive option
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 05:29 AM   #17
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
In my view it's probably more of a security risk to be standing next to your car, setting your groceries down, and fumbling through pockets or purse to find the key and unlock the door. I'd be surprised if we could find an example of a car being stolen based on exploiting Comfort Access. If we did, the occurrences of that would almost certainly be negligible compared to other crimes related to the cars and owners.
This is a fair point. It just niggles me because I have thought too much about the technology.

I heard an amusing story on CA where some guy became very confused because part of his routine to double check he had locked the car on leaving it was to pull the driver's door handle. Of course every time he did this in his new car with CA, the car unlocked itself because he was touching the handle. One call to the dealer and one red face later, all was resolved

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 05:31 AM   #18
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
This is a fair point. It just niggles me because I have thought too much about the technology.

I heard an amusing story on CA where some guy became very confused because part of his routine to double check he had locked the car on leaving it was to pull the driver's door handle. Of course every time he did this in his new car with CA, the car unlocked itself because he was touching the handle. One call to the dealer and one red face later, all was resolved
I had a Renault on hire on holiday, I had to send my son to the car (minus keys) to check it was locked, I suppose it takes time to be confident the system works!
      11-21-2011, 05:33 AM   #19
ricardoyak
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0d SE Mineral Silver

Options

I had similar choice problems.

SatNav - once you have had a built in option you can't go back. The Pro Nav makes the dash look great.

Seats - again electric is good if you have more than one regular driver

XLine - I just think this should be standard and it is irritating to part with £500 for it - but I have done.

Comfort access - I wanted the power tailgate so went for the package.

Reversing camera with top view - there has been a thread on how useful this is. The tester convinced me. As with similar vehicles the view over the rear quarters is poor without it.

I put so much on that I have chosen to save a bit by not having wood trim. Not a big fan of it anyway.

It is really easy to get carried away and I admire you for your restraint so far.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 05:34 AM   #20
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow_007 View Post
Thanks for your kind feedback so far.

I noticed you've got xline package, how do you feel about that? I saw some debate on it. I haven't actually seen this car at the local dealership with the xline but it seems to be more stylish with the xline...
very subjective but I think it makes the car look more premium if you have it on the window recesses. Look at the window surrounds on an S Class Mercedes. Now look at a Fiat Punto.

The other xline parts are more debatable but I like BMW door sills and the tailgate

Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 05:47 AM   #21
Steve30dMSport
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 30D M Sport

Bear in mind the sun protection glass is more for style than substance and if you want to protect little ones in the rear from the sun glare you will need the rear sun blinds (ask sfax) we both went for sun glass and blinds and dont have to contend with too much sun in the UK[/QUOTE]

Totally agree on the windows. Here in Oz we have more light than the Northern hemisphere so we opted for the proper window tint with the UV A/B protection since the BMW privacy glass has NO UV protection. The privacy glass is only cosmetic; not functional.

And on the sound system, the basic sound system is extremely low rent. Unbelievably disappointed at its quality. Plenty of other manufacturers offer far superior sound systems as standard, just look at Audi. We went for pro and that's just ok in my opinion.

The standard metallic trim is cheap looking to the max. If you want the metallic look definitely go the brushed aluminium. A much better and classier look.

Re the pro nav: I don't now what the deal is in the UK but I took it because it included several other features (bigger screen, split screen and other included options etc) apart from the NAV which made the deal worthwhile. I would pick the sat nav over the comfort access package.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 06:44 AM   #22
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

A lot depends on your views on resale value. If it's your car and you load it with 10k€ of options then you'll have a car that's easier resell but you'll get only a little extra for the car. Except of the Auto box, if the options are worth the price to you for the time you have the car then load it up.

If it's a lease car the cost of some options may be reduced as there is some resale benefit (often the case for Auto). My sunroof was discounted by 30% because the leasing company feels it has resale value. Nav attracted zero discount even though the salesmen tell you otherwise (a 3 or 4 year old nav system may not be great....).

This is the UK market, Spain may be a little different.