BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-01-2019, 11:48 AM   #1
bcolins
Wildwestrider
Rep
Drives: E83, R1200GS, ,

Anyone tried LED bulbs for the E83 X3 Halogen High beam / DRLs?

I bought a set of Beamtech H7 LEDs to put on my Sprinter van. A few Sprinter forum members have tried them with good results, so figured I would give them a try.

I'm wondering if they might possibly work in place of my H7 High beams on my X3; The Halogen high beams on the E83 do double duty as daytime running lights (DRL) at a considerably dimmer light level than the actual high beams. Thinking there must be a voltage drop to achieve the dimmer DRL light level and wondering if the LEDs will play well in that low voltage scenario (or if there might be other issues such as flickering requiring coding etc.)

Brian in San Antonio
Appreciate 1
mweine46.50
      03-01-2019, 09:16 PM   #2
mweine
Work Hard! Play Harder!!
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M, BMW M3 CS

Garage List
1989 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcolins View Post
I bought a set of Beamtech H7 LEDs to put on my Sprinter van. A few Sprinter forum members have tried them with good results, so figured I would give them a try.

I'm wondering if they might possibly work in place of my H7 High beams on my X3; The Halogen high beams on the E83 do double duty as daytime running lights (DRL) at a considerably dimmer light level than the actual high beams. Thinking there must be a voltage drop to achieve the dimmer DRL light level and wondering if the LEDs will play well in that low voltage scenario (or if there might be other issues such as flickering requiring coding etc.)

Brian in San Antonio
I switched the DRL'a with LEDs. Looks much better than stock and matches the colour of the Xenons.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 08:24 PM   #3
bcolins
Wildwestrider
Rep

Anyone tried an LED replacement for your Non Xenon / Halogen High beam,...which doubles as the day time running light at a lower output level??

Thinking that the DRL function of the high beams must be achieved by a voltage drop,...and don't know if the LED H7 bulb will work with reduced voltage,.....I may have to just try it and see how it goes,....the risk being if it blows up my LED Bulb,....then my Sprinter will be down one of its low beam LED bulbs.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 11:19 AM   #4
dn.34
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

I replaced the halogen high beams in my X3 with LEDs. They are much brighter than the stock halogens. The set that I have do seem to work okay as the running lights, though I sometimes notice they flicker a little bit.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 11:22 AM   #5
bcolins
Wildwestrider
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dn.34 View Post
I replaced the halogen high beams in my X3 with LEDs. They are much brighter than the stock halogens. The set that I have do seem to work okay as the running lights, though I sometimes notice they flicker a little bit.
Which LEDs did you use? Do you get a whiter daytime running light from the LED high beam,....compared to the OE Halogen which gives a very yellow DRL?

Brian in Austin
Appreciate 0