BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-29-2022, 02:52 PM   #1
wxm
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2017 X3

Front Brake Pad Reset Unsuccessful

Just replaced both front and rear brake pads. The old ones were low but has not triggered the warning light yet. Resetting the rear pad service at the dash works fine, but for the front brake pad, I kept getting "reset unsuccessful". Tried to reset via the foxwell NT-530, got the same error. I did not replace the sensor since mine was not triggered. Any advise?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2022, 05:27 PM   #2
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Maybe the old sensor was damaged during the swap over, they're kinda brittle/fragile. What is the resistance of the old sensor, should be below 1 or so ohms?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2022, 08:37 PM   #3
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

I like that guess, that the new sensor got damaged. Very easy to do installing it onto the pad itself.

I had an issue as well, I had tried to stop the code from coming up by resetting the change interval in carly. This was before I knew the pads were actually low and had triggered the sensor and weren't a time / condition based kind of thing. When I finally changed the pads and sensor and did the normal reset, I couldn't get through the sequence. I eventually fixed it by going back and resetting that interval a 2nd time, and then the standard sensor rest worked as expected.

In my defense I check pad thickness every time I change the oil, and when the warning came up, I ignored it since I had like 7mm of pad left on each side and it was the middle of winter in MN. It turns out the outsides had 7mm but the insides (opposite side of the rotor) were actually down to like 3mm. Seems we (or at least I) wear pads on the inside faster than the outside.

After all that I'm saying - if it's not the sensor itself, then - did you try a different reset method yet, or do any other coding to it already? Maybe something isn't getting along.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2022, 10:29 PM   #4
wxm
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2017 X3

Hmmm, no trouble code right now. Will try to replace the sensor when I get a chance.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2022, 10:10 PM   #5
brianhinton77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i, 2016 X5 M-Sport

Garage List
It seems I had this happen to me once…pads were not worn enough to change the sensor….I got a “reset unsuccessful”. What I did was unplug the sensor from the connector in the wheel well, plug it back in and then everything reset.
Appreciate 0