BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-10-2011, 11:17 AM   #1
Andrewob
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

How good is the sat nav?

As my X3 has been delayed 2 months I am thinking again about the spec, I know it's dangerous!

I'm thinking of adding pro media with sat nav. For those who have it, how good is it and how does it compare to a good standalone Tom Tom or garmin? Is there full post code search, right to the exact house/address? Does it have lane assistance and all the other stuff that standalone units cone with these days?

My experience of built in units has not been good with none of them anywhere near as good as a standalone unit.

I was also thinking, perhaps it's bmw's intention to delay orders and have long waiting lists-makes us all add more and more optionslol:
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 11:52 AM   #2
Jasonskitchen
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw x3 28i

You're so right about the delay... I ordered my x3 from a leasing company since i got a good deal around 2-3 weeks ago.. Still do not have an order #. No paperwork, no nothing...but, he assures me, in 1 month i will have the car. ugh!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 12:32 PM   #3
Max1Factor
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive20i M Sport

I'm interested too, but it costs about 15 times more than a new tom tom and you could throw your tom tom away and buy new each time you need a map upgrade, for less than the BMW upgrade or are the free?

It does full postcode (Audi only 5 digits) and street number.

As for the full media package I suspect you won't use half of the features. But I'm tempted so watch this space.

Max3
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 01:06 PM   #4
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Call it vain but I ordered pro media sat nav mainly to avoid the two cheap looking plastic filler pieces at the side of the standard idrive/sat nav screen

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 01:27 PM   #5
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMER UK 76 View Post
Call it vain but I ordered pro media sat nav mainly to avoid the two cheap looking plastic filler pieces at the side of the standard idrive/sat nav screen
In the US, we get a screen and iDrive even without sat nav. It's pretty cool. If I had to choose between a blank, plastic panel and sat nav, I would have gone with sat nav as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 01:30 PM   #6
flash3
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA78 View Post
In the US, we get a screen and iDrive even without sat nav. It's pretty cool. If I had to choose between a blank, plastic panel and sat nav, I would have gone with sat nav as well.
I know you posted some stunning exterior pics of you white X3 but do you have any interior ones avail to share?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 01:30 PM   #7
W3dge
Private
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 2.0D

Quote:
Ditto to that. Land Rover are even worse, they just leave a hole where the Sat-Nav is on the higher models, awful.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 01:35 PM   #8
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

We also get the screen as standard even with no nav but the smaller std idrive/nav screen has two plastic filler pieces at each side that look out of place to me (same in new F10/F11 also).

Cant find any pics online as all pics on google images seem to have the pro nav fitted

The smaller screen is almost 6.5" 4:3 ratio and the pro is widescreen 8.8"

Here you go http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road-tes...section=prices enlarge the dash photo for close up

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps

Last edited by BIMMER UK 76; 03-10-2011 at 02:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 04:00 PM   #9
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Pro sat nav has been pretty good so far. Love the fact that the arrows and roundabouts appear in the dash. You don't need sound, just a glance down to the dash at junctions etc. Works really well and is very easy to follow.

Split screen also works well with nav staying on the right and anything else on the left.

Post code and street search work well but the power comes from Google's Send to Car and the BMW Remote app on your iPhone. Search for the place / post code on google and then send to car. Destination or route is ready and waiting when you get in. That is awesome IMO

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 05:29 PM   #10
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I should qualify my last comment by saying that whilst I rank the pro sat nav as pretty good, I have never owned a TomTom or Garmin device. I wouldn't want anything stuck to my windscreen and think they look rubbish. Pro sat nav is ridiculously expensive but I'm glad I've got it

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2011, 05:51 PM   #11
flash3
Captain
Rep

Here is vik's car with the standard inboard dash

from here: http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=468648
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 07:35 AM   #12
marmite
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

I declined the satnav. option on my current car (3-series touring), but am getting on the X3.
The biggest reason I didn't get on the E91 - was cost/bad value - I have had the latest tomtom's for years - and afaict the mapping and features were better on the tomtom than they were on the built-ins (also looked at VW's and Audi's at the time of last car purchase).

I've had google search on my tomtom for years now!

The other reason I didn't want on E91 was that aesthetically I preferred the car without it - without it you no idrive, with it, you had idrive + an extra console hub - which I did not like the look of - also idrive was heavily criticized at the time.

Some of the reasons I want the satnav. for the X3 are: (pro version)
1) aesthetically - I think makes the car look quite a lot better
2) pro satnav is a requirment for the 6NR - and I don't want to miss out on potentially very fun gadget integration! we will see how _useful_ it actually is later!
3) cost - still very expensive - but it's not just the nav. the dash changes a bit and as I say the other integration - so I justified it to myself a bit more.

Saying that, I'm not expecting it to beat standalone units in every respect still.
For example, I've enjoyed Tomtom's HD traffic quite a lot. I'd be delighted if BMW satnat. can be as good as that! I think google nav. may do something similar, but haven't used that...

Maybe 6NR will allow Tomtom app to be integrated into iDrive in future!
BMW xdrive30d M Sport Space Grey, Black Nevada, Aluminium Trim, 19" 369M alloys, Prof. Media package, Visibility package, Access package, VDC, Sun Protection Glass, Front Seat Heating, Split-folding rear seats, Sun Blinds, Lumbar support, Extended Storage, Business Stereo, DAB, Tel. USB audio interface, 6NR, 614 Internet.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 07:38 AM   #13
flash3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmite View Post
I declined the satnav. option on my current car (3-series touring), but am getting on the X3.
The biggest reason I didn't get on the E91 - was cost/bad value - I have had the latest tomtom's for years - and afaict the mapping and features were better on the tomtom than they were on the built-ins (also looked at VW's and Audi's at the time of last car purchase).

I've had google search on my tomtom for years now!

The other reason I didn't want on E91 was that aesthetically I preferred the car without it - without it you no idrive, with it, you had idrive an extra console hub - which I did not like the look of - also idrive was heavily criticized at the time.

Some of the reasons I want the satnav. for the X3 are: (pro version)
1) aesthetically - I think makes the car look quite a lot better
2) pro satnav is a requirment for the 6NR - and I don't want to miss out on potentially very fun gadget integration! we will see how _useful_ it actually is later!
3) cost - still very expensive - but it's not just the nav. the dash changes a bit and as I say the other integration - so I justified it to myself a bit more.

Saying that, I'm not expecting it to beat standalone units in every respect still.
For example, I've enjoyed Tomtom's HD traffic quite a lot. I'd be delighted if BMW satnat. can be as good as that! I think google nav. may do something similar, but haven't used that...

Maybe 6NR will allow Tomtom app to be integrated into iDrive in future!
you need the satnav for the 6nr upgrade?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 08:02 AM   #14
thefreeze
Hans
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 2.0D

Quote:
Exactly my point. If you buy a BMW, then do it properly and take the big Sat Nav. Let's be honest, we can afford ourselves a proper big car so 3% extra costs wouldn't hurt.
X3 20D auto High Executive. Moonroof, privacy glass, sport seats, professional audio & sat nav, 19" 309 wheels summer, 18" 307 winter, X-Line, Xenon, parking heater. Mineral Silver / Oyster leather interior, wave trim. V70 2.5T (private)
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 08:57 AM   #15
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3 View Post
you need the satnav for the 6nr upgrade?
Yes, definitely and i wouldn't call it an upgrade as that suggests you can add it after buying your car. You can't unfortunately

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2011, 09:05 AM   #16
flash3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Yes, definitely and i wouldn't call it an upgrade as that suggests you can add it after buying your car. You can't unfortunately
- I wasn't adding the SatNav as when I need access to directions, I'll use my Garmin GPS, but I wanted this 6NR feature!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 02:07 PM   #17
AJWilson
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D SE

A dealer will add £2k with Sat Nav to price, compared to car without. Had Pro Sat Nav in my old X5 used it most of the time.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 02:14 PM   #18
cooldude00
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x3 2.0d

would love to sat nav with the nicer dials and iphone functions etc... but i just can't justify the 2 outlay !!!
      03-12-2011, 03:17 PM   #19
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude00 View Post
would love to sat nav with the nicer dials and iphone functions etc... but i just can't justify the 2 outlay !!!
Glad I upgraded to pro but cost is a bit much for what you get

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 06:00 PM   #20
Andrewob
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

Cost is excessive, but that's BMW! And most sat nav from most manufacturers.

I have been trying to compare cost of say a 3-4 year old 5 series with and without sat nav, if you can get a decent amount of money back on resale by having sat nav, it's not quite so bad. Difficult to tell at mo as not really that many cars for sale and prices vary loads. But the price seems quite similar with and without nav, still unsure whether I will add it. Also little worried it may delay delivery further, despite comments that it won't.
Appreciate 0