BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-16-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
bren
user
Rep
Drives: German Camaro

Smart Phone Integration Cradle

Picked up the X3 today and found out that for some reason we have this gigantic and completely worthless hunk of plastic taking up nearly all of the center console.

Just out of curiosity, what option package did I choose that saddled me with this stupid thing?

And, has anyone looked into removing it? Pretty sure I'm going to end up taking a pry bar to it at some point.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
akad
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 28i

free bump! Was wanting to hear about this too! Its pretty annoying to have to pull up the thing before gaining access to the small space that is underneath it.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #3
DavC5000
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Bmw X3 28i

hmm that is a good idea. shouldnt be too hard to remove maybe some wiring will need to be removed also.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
Chalky White
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90, 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
i put a piece of felt on it, it makes a good sunglasses tray. no idea why BMW refuses to put a true sunglasses holder in their vehicles???

2006 325i, Sparkling, Grey, Xenons, Premium, Heated, Comfort (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 03:56 PM   #5
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

Then take it out

You can unplug it I believe and toss it out to give you more space.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 04:41 PM   #6
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Picked up the X3 today and found out that for some reason we have this gigantic and completely worthless hunk of plastic taking up nearly all of the center console.

Just out of curiosity, what option package did I choose that saddled me with this stupid thing?

And, has anyone looked into removing it? Pretty sure I'm going to end up taking a pry bar to it at some point.
The silly size of it is very annoying but it isn't exactly worthless as without it you can't connect your phone and use the other arm rest USB port at the same time (e.g. for music) and without it you get no signal boost through the car's aerial on the roof (the shark fin). It also prevents the USB cable getting damaged by closing the arm rest on it. If the extra space is worth more than these things to you then remove it.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 07:28 PM   #7
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

Phone adapter has been always a debatable topic. People who have not bought it, say its worthless as it doesn't do much and its rather a nuisance. People who have bought it have some justifications for the price they paid.

For me:

1. I would like my phone to stay in my pocket when I enter or leave my car. I keep my Bluetooth on all the time, so when I enter car, my phone gets connected automatically to X3. Great convenience.

2. I dont like to copy music to my phone first and then play in the car using adapter. I would rather copy music directly to a thumb drive and let it be connected all the time to the USB port of the car. let my phone work as phone.

3. I copy my Music CDs directly to HD of X3 and my most of the favorite music resides in the car and dont have to prepare thumb drives even.

4. I play streaming music from Pandora or other sites directly through bluetooth of phone and the moment I switch on ignition, music starts playing, no connection is needed. Yes, I dont get nicer interface on screen but I dont care as my importance is to the music.

5. As my phone is in my pocket adjacent to the window of the car and not somewhere in the middle of the car, I will not get any benefit of the antena signal being brought into the car by that crazy fin. I am not sure if and how much signal is boosted by the adapter. To me it looks like just a tech solution and might show some results in areas with very poor signals. It is based on physics principle that signal can not penetrate a metallic ball and it remains on its surface, so a wire from outside can get the signal into the car. But if you are sitting next to window and if you do not have any metallic window screen, then you get full ambient signal.

6. No adapter means no phone videos on the screen while car is not in motion. Not a big deal. My phone tethers to iPad and family can watch videos when I am driving. This is not an integrated solution but most practical solution as I need not sit in the car to watch videos on little bigger screen than what we have in phones.

I do not know how many of you have used Apple TV. Its a little box, which wirelessly connects your phone / ipad to your TV and you can see every piece of phone screen on the TV's big screen including buttons, apps, videos ....Wish BMW goes into that direction, in that case what you see on phone, you right away get it on Nav Screen, no need to buy separate Apps or adapters for iDrive to have user friendly screens on iDrive. With the introduction of ap like SIRI, you just issue commands what you want to do on phone, you need not even touch it.

Last edited by April1; 01-24-2012 at 07:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 10:41 PM   #8
Earlofessex
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Has anyone tried to use an iPod extension cable to plug an iPhone into an adapter? I know you'd lose the antenna benefits of the cradle, but it would save taking the phone out of the case. Also, if I have an iPhone 4 Media cradle, could I use a cable to connect an iTouch and get the benefit of the better iPod interface? I'm just trying to understand the options before I spring for a cable. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 07:13 AM   #9
odiesback
2021 330ix
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 330ix

Garage List
No intent to jacking the thread but

I was disappointed when I was told that the phone int cradle that I ordered with BMW apps is just a plastic tray, not the real adapter that is sold separately for $250 extra.

I thought I would have the car ready to go with all that was needed to plug in my phone.

Any thoughts?

Former: 2012 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Extended FR | DCT | Premium | Competition | BMW Apps | M Performance Exhaust | CF Front Splitters | V1 M Steering Wheel
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 07:44 AM   #10
cheesebag
Debadged and Alpine Weiss!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlofessex View Post
Has anyone tried to use an iPod extension cable to plug an iPhone into an adapter? I know you'd lose the antenna benefits of the cradle, but it would save taking the phone out of the case. Also, if I have an iPhone 4 Media cradle, could I use a cable to connect an iTouch and get the benefit of the better iPod interface? I'm just trying to understand the options before I spring for a cable. Thanks.
Yes...I do that at the mo but have ordered the snap in adaptor so I can get the extra sharkfin boost from the aerial also the ability to play video.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 08:30 AM   #11
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by odiesback View Post

I was disappointed when I was told that the phone int cradle that I ordered with BMW apps is just a plastic tray, not the real adapter that is sold separately for $250 extra.

I thought I would have the car ready to go with all that was needed to plug in my phone.

Any thoughts?
It's annoying but it's partly the dealer's fault for not telling you what you need. They are useless most of the time and have absolutely no idea on the tech stuff

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 09:21 AM   #12
odiesback
2021 330ix
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 330ix

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax
Quote:
Originally Posted by odiesback View Post

Any thoughts?
It's annoying but it's partly the dealer's fault for not telling you what you need. They are useless most of the time and have absolutely no idea on the tech stuff
Completely agree with you.

Little details like this can put a dent on what was supposed to be great experience overall.

Not to mention that I landed a helping hand to the guy who was explaining the controls to my wife!!!
:

Former: 2012 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Extended FR | DCT | Premium | Competition | BMW Apps | M Performance Exhaust | CF Front Splitters | V1 M Steering Wheel
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 12:30 PM   #13
Earlofessex
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesebag View Post
Yes...I do that at the mo but have ordered the snap in adaptor so I can get the extra sharkfin boost from the aerial also the ability to play video.
Are you using the extension cable with a snap-in adapter, or just using a USB cable? My understanding is that the iPod interface doesn't work via the USB. I want to buy an iPhone 4 media adapter, and sometimes use an extension cable so I don't need to remove my phone from its case every time I go for a drive. I'd also like to use the same snap-in adapter for an iTouch, but since the iTouch and iPhone are different sizes I was thinking of using an extension cable. Anyone try one of these with a snap-in adapter?

http://www.amazon.com/Connector-Exte.../dp/B004BJLXAM
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 01:03 PM   #14
cheesebag
United Kingdom
Rep

just picked up the media snap in adapter. you do need to take the case off but it now plays video and gives me the option to shuffle songs!!!

I was using USB cable in armrest before which was acceptable. just really up to you to decide if its worth £160 inc. VAT to have added phone reception thru sharkfin, ability to play videos/movies thru iphone (when parked!) and play playlists and shuffle songs!...Plus future apps.

I'm sure theres more but thats all I've found in half an hour!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 01:06 PM   #15
cheesebag
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Are you using the extension cable with a snap-in adapter, or just using a USB cable? My understanding is that the iPod interface doesn't work via the USB. I want to buy an iPhone 4 media adapter, and sometimes use an extension cable so I don't need to remove my phone from its case every time I go for a drive. I'd also like to use the same snap-in adapter for an iTouch, but since the iTouch and iPhone are different sizes I was thinking of using an extension cable. Anyone try one of these with a snap-in adapter?

In relation to this... you no longer need a cable. The snap in adapter fits in the holder in the armrest. The iphone then clicks into the adapter
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #16
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I think EofE wants full 6NR functionality like video which you only get through the cradle as I understand it (or an adapted USB port) but anyone who has 6NR can correct this if it's wrong?? I'm not sure on the extension cable fitting but I would have thought it would as the socket on an iPhone is relatively big and the housing on the extension cable looks smaller to me

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #17
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:

I've got a 3GS snap-in adapter, but have since upgraded to a 4S phone. I don't really care for the adapter, and have hesitated on purchasing a 4S version. In the interim, I've been using a white cable to the console USB port.

Your idea of using an extender cable may work for me. I've ordered one similar to the one in your link, and should have it by Thursday.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #18
thefreeze
Hans
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 2.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamajicky View Post
no idea why BMW refuses to put a true sunglasses holder in their vehicles???
BMW puts nothing in their vehicles. Everything comes at an additional cost :-)
X3 20D auto High Executive. Moonroof, privacy glass, sport seats, professional audio & sat nav, 19" 309 wheels summer, 18" 307 winter, X-Line, Xenon, parking heater. Mineral Silver / Oyster leather interior, wave trim. V70 2.5T (private)
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 03:38 PM   #19
Earlofessex
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02420X3 View Post
I've got a 3GS snap-in adapter, but have since upgraded to a 4S phone. I don't really care for the adapter, and have hesitated on purchasing a 4S version. In the interim, I've been using a white cable to the console USB port.

Your idea of using an extender cable may work for me. I've ordered one similar to the one in your link, and should have it by Thursday.
Great! Please let us know how it works. Might be an OK compromise for iPhones in cases, could provide flexibility for multiple devices (sometimes use iphone and other times use iTouch), and maybe provide a little future proofing. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 03:50 PM   #20
Fryguy29
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i

Quote:

I got the extender cable. It will be here tomorrow. THe one listed above, while cheaper has been poorly reviewed and looks like it may not be able to transfer video or have full functionality.
I just recently got the snap in adapter and it works well. Using the adapter gives you a significantly improved ipod interface. Without it, the stock interface is OK, but you can't shuffle songs, can't search through podcasts easily and the interface doesn't look as good. With the adapter, the interface is exactly as it is on an ipod and much easier to navigate.
I have 6NR and you have to have the adapter to get the improved functionality. Using just a cable in the USB port gives you the crappier interface. I was on the fence about shelling out the $$ but I *think* it will be worth it.
The adapter does not change the Pandora or MOG interface, as far as I can tell.

The benefits of using a cable with the snap in adapter are these:
1) The adapter is a tight fit. If you have a case of any kind it will not fit. It is truly a pain to remove the case each time.
2) I plan on having my car longer than my phone. Since the phone no longer needs to fit snugly, when the iphone 5 or 6 comes out, I don't need to change adapters. I can also use my previous generation Ipod touch with it.
3) Since it's on a cable, I don't have to leave it in the console, where it is inaccessible to see texts or anything else.

I think this will be a good solution. I will let everyone know how it works tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 08:20 AM   #21
bren
user
Rep
Drives: German Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamajicky View Post
i put a piece of felt on it, it makes a good sunglasses tray. no idea why BMW refuses to put a true sunglasses holder in their vehicles???
A sunglass holder would be infinitely more useful than some connector for outdated phones.

I would have thought they'd learned this lesson with the older 5's and 7's - look how silly the phone adapters in those cars look now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
...it isn't exactly worthless as without it you can't connect your phone and use the other arm rest USB port at the same time.....
I can't connect my phone to it, no love for android phones. So it's completely worthless. It's certainly not worth being stuck with a blackberry or apple phone.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 08:50 AM   #22
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
A sunglass holder would be infinitely more useful than some connector for outdated phones.

I would have thought they'd learned this lesson with the older 5's and 7's - look how silly the phone adapters in those cars look now.

I can't connect my phone to it, no love for android phones. So it's completely worthless. It's certainly not worth being stuck with a blackberry or apple phone.
Haha, each to their own. The latest adapter fits a 4S so not outdated if you go with Apple and cheaper to switch phones than BMWs. I like Google personally but not sold on Android just yet, particularly because of their security vulnerabilities from malware - an accident waiting to happen

Appreciate 0