BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-18-2024, 02:38 AM   #1
UN0W3N
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xDrive20d (F25)

Garage List
Question Help explaining front cameras & sensors for F25

Hello everyone!

I just recently bought a used BMW X3 xDrive20d made at the end of 2011. As I understood, it's the second generation dubbed F25. The previous owner didn't have the time to explain to me all its bells and whistles even though I noticed that I seem to have a nearly full option car, minus the M Sport Package. The original printed manual is in Dutch, so I downloaded a digital copy of the 2011 BMW X3 Owner's Manual in English.

I may post more questions in the future, but for now I'd like to shed some light on the cameras I pinpoint in the attached picture. I presume the Blue Arrow is the rain sensor, but I can't find anywhere in the Owner's Manual, information on the Red Arrow camera. Is it related to the parking camera or the Head-up Display?

The HUD only seems to show the speed I'm currently travelling at, plus warnings for not wearing the seatbelt. I have selected the settings to show all information for the HUD. Also, I saw some clips online showcasing that the BMW X3 HUD can feature various traffic signs as well, is that option only for newer car models though?

Please explain this to me. You have my thanks in advance!

Last edited by UN0W3N; 05-18-2024 at 02:41 AM.. Reason: Typo adapting
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 04:10 PM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

There should also be a digital version of the owners manual embedded in iDrive…which is VIN specific.

Instead of being written universally to cover every possible option…the digital manual in iDrive will skip over options you don’t have installed.

BTW…the HUD is located in the dash…it sits directly above your instrument cluster…you should see the screen that throws the HUD’s image onto your windshield…it’s #4 in the diagram below:

Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 05-20-2024 at 04:39 PM..
Appreciate 1
UN0W3N13.50
      05-20-2024, 10:45 PM   #3
pungo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4MC, X3-35i,525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
The camera in mine is used for the auto high beams to detect oncoming cars headlights and or cars in front of you tail lights to automatically turn the high beams off, then turn them back on when no other cars are detected. You need to put the light switch to "A" and press the "A" button on the end of the turn signal stalk. All this is info is in the owners manual, which is where I found out about the function

BTW, the HUD is limited on what it shows on earlier models, though it does show navigation directions when on

As Qsilver7 mentioned, use the online to learn more about the features of your vehicle.
Appreciate 1
UN0W3N13.50
      05-21-2024, 05:11 AM   #4
UN0W3N
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xDrive20d (F25)

Garage List
Thank you both for your replies and the assistance!
Upon further inspection of a document found on this forum ("05_F25 Driver Assistance Systems"), I have confirmation about that camera I highlighted with a Red Arrow:

Indeed it's the high-beam assistant. I can live without traffic signs showing up on the HUD (I checked that the navigation arrows and instructions still show up alongside the current travelling speed).
My previous car was a 2008 Opel Antara, so the BMW X3 is many steps forward from all points of view.
Take care!

Last edited by UN0W3N; 05-21-2024 at 05:20 AM..
Appreciate 0