BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-11-2012, 02:45 PM   #1
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 35d MSport & 135i

Being due a week 16 build and still at 1200 on Wednesday, I can only assume I will get a car finished on a Friday ...

*sigh*

I wonder how the statistics compare for people complaining of problems with their BMWs against the day of week they finished build.

If anyone knows the day their car completed the build phase or if not the date it started build or went into 5055, I would be very interested to compile a list correlating defects (or not).

So if you have a car that's perfect, or has some defects and you know the day of the week the car was completed on, please drop a summary into this thread and I will try to compile a summary ...
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
jk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 x3 35i

most factories have more problems on monday mornings.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 03:36 PM   #3
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Heh!

Yes ... I was originally hoping for a Tuesday start ...
F25 X3 xDrive 35d M Sport Alpine White, Black Nevada Leather, Speed limit info, TV, Prof. Nav & Speakers, HUD, M Sport steering wheel, Sport gearbox, BMW Apps, Internet, VDC, Comfort with Powered boot, Hi-speed synch, VSS, Top View, Electric tow-bar, Heated steering, Storage, DAB, Heated electric seats, Moonroof, Adaptive High beam assist Xenons, Servotronic, Performance control, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 03:38 PM   #4
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

After watching the production videos I am fairly confident that the bones of the car will be the same from one to the next. The majority of the car build appears to be modular in nature.

The dash, interior and wiring is a whole other variable that I think could be impacted based on the build day.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 04:14 PM   #5
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

I think the "Friday" build problems are an urban legand.....but just in case they are not, I am glad mine was a Tuesday build.
      04-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #6
gerem
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

The X3 is not built in one day, the production time is 30 hours...
      04-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #7
gareth3685
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2.0D

I'm not fussed which day mine gets made on, but I'd feel so much better if it was built in Germany.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 04:23 PM   #8
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh
After watching the production videos I am fairly confident that the bones of the car will be the same from one to the next. The majority of the car build appears to be modular in nature.

The dash, interior and wiring is a whole other variable that I think could be impacted based on the build day.
If I am not mistaken the production videos only ever show the robotic build steps ... There is still lots for humans to do!
F25 X3 xDrive 35d M Sport Alpine White, Black Nevada Leather, Speed limit info, TV, Prof. Nav & Speakers, HUD, M Sport steering wheel, Sport gearbox, BMW Apps, Internet, VDC, Comfort with Powered boot, Hi-speed synch, VSS, Top View, Electric tow-bar, Heated steering, Storage, DAB, Heated electric seats, Moonroof, Adaptive High beam assist Xenons, Servotronic, Performance control, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 04:25 PM   #9
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerem
The X3 is not built in one day, the production time is 30 hours...
That's why a Tuesday or Wednesday build is probably best ... ;-)
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #10
gerem
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsey View Post
That's why a Tuesday or Wednesday build is probably best ... ;-)
At 8 hours/day, you still end up with some production on Friday or Monday.
The factory complete over 400 cars a day, so I won't worry.
      04-11-2012, 11:15 PM   #11
paul386
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i Jet Black

The quality versus the time of day and day of the week is a complete urban legend. The factory management and quality policy of any reputable manufacturing company (of which BMW is one) would never allow routine quality slips like that. Quality spikes are attached like intruders at a bank. They cost MONEY!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2012, 11:32 PM   #12
KingX
Unregistered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 M-Sport 35i

Or maybe they know certain days could cause/have quality issues so they pay more attention at those times so they end up being the best days to build...hehe

Never ending cycle didn't mean to mess with you further

Ok...maybe I did

[Black Sapphire/Oyster/Wave Wood: ZPP/ZTP/ZCW/ZCX/ZDH/ZPS/ZMP/6NR]
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #13
colson79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i DSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth3685 View Post
I'm not fussed which day mine gets made on, but I'd feel so much better if it was built in Germany.
It is really starting to bug me how arrogant some of the European members are on this forum. I get really tired of them bashing US workers and companies as if we can't produce something as well as they do in Europe.

04-12-2012, 09:28 AM   #14
KingX
Unregistered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by colson79 View Post
It is really starting to bug me how arrogant some of the European members are on this forum. I get really tired of them bashing US workers and companies as if we can't produce something as well as they do in Europe.

+1

Really can't see how quality will differ that much when it's nearly a fully automated system

Maybe they mean we have inferior robots because from watching videos that's 90% of the things working on the X3.

I wonder if people are silly enough to think they don't use similar or even the same brand machinery across the company and factories. I don't think BMW said lets build a US factory and make it crap to prove the German plants are better and bring down our overall brand...that would be like

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 09:33 AM   #15
paul386
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i Jet Black

Quote:

There is a good reason for it... Europeans only work 30-35 hours a week. That means they can have their hands massaged and oiled and they can drink some beer and still get a good night sleep. Clearly they are harder workers.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #16
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

People talk about build quality but it's more about design for production. The parts should slot together such that any old robot can build a car. My South African BMWs were fine, I have no reason to believe that the mainly Turkish workers in the German plants are any better or worse than South Africans, Austrians or US workers at assembly.
      04-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #17
gareth3685
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

It's not arrogance and it isn't meant to cause offense.

For example the build quality of my Mini that is assembled in Oxford leaves a lot to be desired. I'm not for one minute suggesting that Europe builds better cars that the US but that models assembled in BMW's home factories in Germany tend to be built better than factories outside of Germany.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 12:22 PM   #18
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

Quote:

For example the build quality of my Mini that is assembled in Oxford leaves a lot to be desired. I'm not for one minute suggesting that Europe builds better cars that the US but that models assembled in BMW's home factories in Germany tend to be built better than factories outside of Germany.
Absolutely - infact the urban myth probably was born here in the UK when we had much bigger car production. So please dont see it as "Yank" bashing, it would not be intended that way.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #19
KingX
Unregistered
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Is that build quality as much as part quality though? We have mini coopers in our family and to me it's inferior parts more than build. I always make the joke that we should buy another mini just for parts

Most parts aren't even made at BMW. They are all external companies producing the parts for them along their supply chain. Maybe the supply companies need to do better but if I'm not mistaken even the US plant is getting parts from non US companies.

Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #20
gareth3685
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingX View Post
Is that build quality as much as part quality though? We have mini coopers in our family and to me it's inferior parts more than build. I always make the joke that we should buy another mini just for parts

Most parts aren't even made at BMW. They are all external companies producing the parts for them along their supply chain. Maybe the supply companies need to do better but if I'm not mistaken even the US plant is getting parts from non US companies.
In fairness its probably 50/50. The Mini has some shocking quality plastics in the interior. I've also done factory tours in the Mini plant and the Munich factory and there is certainly a difference in the environment. The Munich one was what I expected from a BMW factory. The Mini one, well lets just say it wasnt.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 01:14 PM   #21
jk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 x3 35i

i toured the spartanburg factory and was impressed by the level of automation and the organization of the work. doesn't mean there can't be screwups but it was very, very professional.
Appreciate 0