BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-16-2011, 09:37 PM   #45
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

hehe, glad you see the light Lotus.

Now only if our friends at BMW could figure out how to put a free reving 4cyl turbo in a CUV they'd have a winner.

oops, sorry I forgot to use the correct blue and white term SAV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
This discussion has me seriously considering trading my X3 35i in for a KIA.

BMW's outstanding performance, styling and superior engineering are totally irrelevant - for me it's all about marketing to a segment I can associate with and also about the prestige "image" one acquires when one is seen being chauffeured in a KIA, not to mention their high resale value.

I've always liked BMW's but now that KIA is a toppling BMW as a performance/luxury brand, I guess it's time to trade in. I'm convinced - it's time to join the KIA demographic.....Bye, bye Nürburgring, hello sockdolls and singing hamsters.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 09:40 PM   #46
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
wow really? The F25 X3 has more cargo space than the Infiniti FX as well as the EX? I didn't look at the FX this time but I had test driving an FX35 a few years back. The G sedan has no cargo space either... i don't get what the appeal is. Its still a Nissan.

I had the worst experience at the Infiniti dealer this summer 2 weeks before I ordered the X3. The infiniti sales guy was playing end of month games (it was the last day of july) and he was really putting on pressure to sell me that EX on the lot. When I gave the keys to my 328xi for trade in appraisal, he would NOT give the key back until I finally stood up and demanded my key back. glad I held off, i hadn't really done my homework on the EX35, i was just looking at it as something else besides the X3 and Q5 which i was back and forth on.

I can only imagine how Kia dealers work....
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 09:48 PM   #47
jk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 x3 35i

the infinitis are supposed to be the luxury value proposition. the g35 was one of car and drivers top 10 the year it came out. it was touted to offer bmw 535 space and power, albeit less "refinement," for the price of a 328. [i guess they weren't looking at storage space, though.] the infinitis do offer a lot for the price - the base versions include a lot that are extra cost options on bmw's. as i said above, though, they attempt to be so fashionable that their designs sacrifice function, and i just can't stand that.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 11:48 PM   #48
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:

BMW's outstanding performance, styling and superior engineering are totally irrelevant - for me it's all about marketing to a segment I can associate with and also about the prestige "image" one acquires when one is seen being chauffeured in a KIA, not to mention their high resale value.

I've always liked BMW's but now that KIA is a toppling BMW as a performance/luxury brand, I guess it's time to trade in. I'm convinced - it's time to join the KIA demographic.....Bye, bye Nürburgring, hello sockdolls and singing hamsters.
      12-17-2011, 01:21 AM   #49
rgx3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 xDrive 35i

Sweet, another BMW enthusiast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
hehe, glad you see the light Lotus.

Now only if our friends at BMW could figure out how to put a free reving 4cyl turbo in a CUV they'd have a winner.

oops, sorry I forgot to use the correct blue and white term SAV.
Serioulsy, why don't you guys find your own forums to participate in. I'm sorry your mom's had to tie a bone around your neck to get the dog to play with you but don't take out your lack of social acceptance in our forum. We don't accept you either.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 03:38 AM   #50
FASTTOYS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi R8, X3M, XC60 R-Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
You have total confused me with the originator of this THREAD,
I am not sure what happened but for some reason my first sentence droped off my reply. i did read it I agree with what you said.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 03:52 AM   #51
FASTTOYS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Now That is funny. Hey I wonder what the Kia owners do with the Hamsters? lbjgh I noticed you have a Honda Accord, I would sugest sticking with Honda. The new CRV has great reviews and it will hold its value better than the KIA. Another observation: On another post you recommended Turtle Wax being a good product for a 3M clear bra? Are you kidding me, I would not put that garbage on my toilet seat and not even on a 50 year old KIA. Unfortunately the majority of Turtle Wax products have to many harsh chemicals and they will eventually break down the clear bra and cause it to yellow. I am not an expert but 3M is one of my largest clients and I have spoken to product engineers + I had a detail shop when I was younger..

Last edited by FASTTOYS; 12-17-2011 at 04:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 04:13 AM   #52
MikeBimmer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

Somebody kill this thread.
      12-17-2011, 12:53 PM   #53
Mingstar88
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

pretty sure lotus was being sarcastic
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 01:39 PM   #54
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBimmer View Post
Somebody kill this thread.
It was DOA
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 09:46 PM   #55
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

hmm, I've looked a futher into costing the two cars out. Interestingly after considering finance costs the bimmer is $20,000 more than the Kia.

I am not disputing the fact that the BMW is a superior vehicle in every way (except warranty) but is the bimmer 46% better in every way?

Just asking?

p.s. The 2011 Infiniti EX35 are being unloaded for about the same price as the 2012 Sportage SX
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 10:25 PM   #56
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

After considering finance costs? Too funny.
      12-20-2011, 10:50 PM   #57
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Quote:
I am not disputing the fact that the BMW is a superior vehicle in every way (except warranty) but is the bimmer 46% better in every way?

Just asking?
Seriously - the only person who can answer that question is yourself. Only you can put a "value" on the better performance, handling, fuel economy, looks etc etc etc of the X3. We don't know what your values and expectations are - only you do.

I can see some - repeat some similarity with what I went through in choosing the X3 30d over the XC60 D5. In almost every area the X3 was a better vehicle than the XC60 but bottom line (after discounts and variations in trade-in etc), the X3 was A$16,000 more costly (on the road) than the Volvo. But where I will get most of that difference back was in resale value further down the line. Made the decision easy in the end.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 10:59 PM   #58
powertech83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 20d

Quote:
hmm, I've looked a futher into costing the two cars out. Interestingly after considering finance costs the bimmer is $20,000 more than the Kia.

Just asking?

p.s. The 2011 Infiniti EX35 are being unloaded for about the same price as the 2012 Sportage SX
Yes, Kia looks way better than it used to be, but that's because they have to hire German designer Peter Schreyer to achieve that.
You said in earlier post that you like the driving dynamic of the X3 and money isn't the issue, then now you are considering finance cost?
You said X1 is too small for your growing family, yet you choose Sportage that has roughly the same size as an X1 (just taller). The comparable car to the X3 from KIA in term of size is the Sorento, not Sportage.
46% better? let's see.. an engine that has won ward's 10 best engine, also won the international engine of the year.. combined with the latest 8 speed ZF transmission.. the winner of ward's 10 best interior.. not to mention way better driving dynamics and overall refinements.
So yes, by all means, get the Kia. Clearly you cannot appreciate BMW's driving dynamics and all the refinement to justify 46% price difference.
It's like asking a 5 yo which one taste better, Coke or Dom Perignon. Pointless.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 12:31 AM   #59
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertech83 View Post
It's like asking a 5 yo which one taste better, Coke or Dom Perignon. Pointless.
+1
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 12:39 AM   #60
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by brissim View Post
Seriously - the only person who can answer that question is yourself. Only you can put a "value" on the better performance, handling, fuel economy, looks etc etc etc of the X3. We don't know what your values and expectations are - only you do.
+1. You also have to put a value on the fact it has a BMW badge on the front and when someone asks you what car you drive you will have to quietly cough "Kia"

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 01:10 AM   #61
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

It's always wise to do a cost-benefit analysis of any purchase of this nature, purchase price, financing, maintenance, warranty, repairs etc. all come into play.

I plan on keeping my car for 8+ years (minimum) so resale is not a significant consideration. I don't need to sell my car to buy the next.

The X1 sits lower and 'feels' significantly smaller inside. Also the X1 proportions just seem wrong in my eye.

I'm still leaning towards the X3 for all of the good reasons you stated but primarily because the bimmers driving dynamics.

... and if you ask a mature person what's better, Coke or Dom Perignon lots of folks would say Coke. A person lacking maturity may choose Dom because of what other's might think. I'm at the age where I don't care what other's think about what I drive... that comes with maturity and self assurance. Some folks never get to that point in their life.

So for me the X3 is still on the short list because of passion and the SX is on my list because of reason and practicality.

Quote:
Yes, Kia looks way better than it used to be, but that's because they have to hire German designer Peter Schreyer to achieve that.
You said in earlier post that you like the driving dynamic of the X3 and money isn't the issue, then now you are considering finance cost?
You said X1 is too small for your growing family, yet you choose Sportage that has roughly the same size as an X1 (just taller). The comparable car to the X3 from KIA in term of size is the Sorento, not Sportage.
46% better? let's see.. an engine that has won ward's 10 best engine, also won the international engine of the year.. combined with the latest 8 speed ZF transmission.. the winner of ward's 10 best interior.. not to mention way better driving dynamics and overall refinements.
So yes, by all means, get the Kia. Clearly you cannot appreciate BMW's driving dynamics and all the refinement to justify 46% price difference.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 02:12 AM   #62
powertech83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 20d

Quote:
It's always wise to do a cost-benefit analysis of any purchase of this nature, purchase price, financing, maintenance, warranty, repairs etc. all come into play.

I plan on keeping my car for 8+ years (minimum) so resale is not a significant consideration. I don't need to sell my car to buy the next.

The X1 sits lower and 'feels' significantly smaller inside. Also the X1 proportions just seem wrong in my eye.

I'm still leaning towards the X3 for all of the good reasons you stated but primarily because the bimmers driving dynamics.

... and if you ask a mature person what's better, Coke or Dom Perignon lots of folks would say Coke. A person lacking maturity may choose Dom because of what other's might think. I'm at the age where I don't care what other's think about what I drive... that comes with maturity and self assurance. Some folks never get to that point in their life.

So for me the X3 is still on the short list because of passion and the SX is on my list because of reason and practicality.
My point is, only someone who can appreciate wine will prefer fine wine over coke. Most 5 yo hasn't developed any appreciation towards wine yet, anything sweet taste good to them.
My point is not mature vs immature, but someone who has deep appreciation towards something vs not.
There are of course many adults who don't have appreciation towards wine and will prefer coke over fine wine, and that is nothing wrong with that at all, and has nothing to do with their maturity.
So there are also nothing wrong for people who doesn't have any appreciation towards driving, thats why luxury brands like Lexus are created, they are for those who doesn't care how a car drives, steering response, etc, but wants a more luxury car than a Toyota that is on par with BMW and Mercedes in terms of luxury amenities Nothing wrong with that, nothing to do with the buyer's maturity or not.
My analogy of 5 yo liking coke vs dom is about someone's appreciation towards something, not maturity.
Want another anology? Asking someone who is not into photography which camera to get, Leica or Samsung? Maybe neither, cuz for them cameraphone is more than enough. I could go on and on.

Yes it is always wise to do cost benefit analysis, but most people would set a budget and go from there. Say I want to spend $40,000 on a car, maybe $45,000 max, which car can I get, which one is better, which one is more reliable etc (depending on your priorities).
Rarely people will do, ok i want a large saloon.. hmm.. lets see, $45,000 Toyota Avalon or $120,000 BMW 7 series. They are both large saloon, they are both spacious enough to accommodate 5 passengers comfortably, but they are in different league from each other.
Are you in the market of luxury crossover or just crossover? If just crossover then forget the X3, cause that "luxury" will of course cost you more (duh!) If you are in the market of Luxury crossover then Kia is not on the list, but everything else in your list are (Q5, Evoque, etc)

So again, it seems "value for money" is on top of your priority, then I was right when suggesting you to get a KIA, it has longer warranty than the bimmer, and i would imagine it would cost way less on maintenance and repairs down the road (less gizmo to break too). Purchase price and financing goes without saying, of course KIA will win, it is $20k cheaper for Pete's sake! It's a steal!! Call your KIA dealer, order one right now so you can soon celebrate on your brand new ride
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 02:27 AM   #63
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
My point is, only someone who can appreciate wine will prefer fine wine over coke. Most 5 yo hasn't developed any appreciation towards wine yet, anything sweet taste good to them.
My point is not mature vs immature, but someone who has deep appreciation towards something vs not.
There are of course many adults who don't have appreciation towards wine and will prefer coke over fine wine, and that is nothing wrong with that at all, and has nothing to do with their maturity.
So there are also nothing wrong for people who doesn't have any appreciation towards driving, thats why luxury brands like Lexus are created, they are for those who doesn't care how a car drives, steering response, etc, but wants a more luxury car than a Toyota that is on par with BMW and Mercedes in terms of luxury amenities Nothing wrong with that, nothing to do with the buyer's maturity or not.
My analogy of 5 yo liking coke vs dom is about someone's appreciation towards something, not maturity.
Want another anology? Asking someone who is not into photography which camera to get, Leica or Samsung? Maybe neither, cuz for them cameraphone is more than enough. I could go on and on.

Yes it is always wise to do cost benefit analysis, but most people would set a budget and go from there. Say I want to spend $40,000 on a car, maybe $45,000 max, which car can I get, which one is better, which one is more reliable etc (depending on your priorities).
Rarely people will do, ok i want a large saloon.. hmm.. lets see, $45,000 Toyota Avalon or $120,000 BMW 7 series. They are both large saloon, they are both spacious enough to accommodate 5 passengers comfortably, but they are in different league from each other.
Are you in the market of luxury crossover or just crossover? If just crossover then forget the X3, cause that "luxury" will of course cost you more (duh!) If you are in the market of Luxury crossover then Kia is not on the list, but everything else in your list are (Q5, Evoque, etc)

So again, it seems "value for money" is on top of your priority, then I was right when suggesting you to get a KIA, it has longer warranty than the bimmer, and i would imagine it would cost way less on maintenance and repairs down the road (less gizmo to break too). Purchase price and financing goes without saying, of course KIA will win, it is $20k cheaper for Pete's sake! It's a steal!! Call your KIA dealer, order one right now so you can soon celebrate on your brand new ride
+1 Very well put. You can't have an emphasis on saving money and at the same time seriously consider two cars that differ in price by $20,000. If you're looking for a cheap driving solution, clearly you choose the Kia, that's why it's there, along with the Qashqai. This whole thread is a contradiction.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 02:59 AM   #64
FASTTOYS
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

??? ON THIS POST...
I'm at the age where I don't care what other's think about what I drive... that comes with maturity and self assurance. Some folks never get to that point in their life.

If this is trure why did you start this thread, just asking......
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 03:29 AM   #65
cheesebag
Debadged and Alpine Weiss!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 Msport

I might go on a Bentley Forum and suggest im interesting in buying my wife a Citreon.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 03:34 AM   #66
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTTOYS View Post
??? ON THIS POST...
I'm at the age where I don't care what other's think about what I drive... that comes with maturity and self assurance. Some folks never get to that point in their life.

If this is trure why did you start this thread, just asking......
Exactly. Yet another contradiction!

Appreciate 0